Author Topic: NTSB: Ban cell phone use while driving  (Read 7831 times)

Offline Conrad

NTSB: Ban cell phone use while driving
« on: December 13, 2011, 01:08:39 PM »
YES!!!!!!     :thumbs:

I'll never happen but I'm ALL for it!

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/13/us/ntsb-cell-phone-ban/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Washington (CNN) -- Federal accident investigators Tuesday called for a nationwide ban on the use of cell phones and text messaging devices while driving.

The recommendation is the most far-reaching yet by the National Transportation Safety Board, which in the past 10 years has increasingly sought to limit the use of portable electronic devices. It has recommended such bans for novice drivers, school bus drivers and commercial truckers.

The new recommendation, if adopted by states, would outlaw non-emergency phone calls and texting by operators of every vehicle on the road.

It would not apply to hand-free devices or to passengers.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: NTSB: Ban cell phone use while driving
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 01:30:53 PM »
Hope it doesn't apply to riding, i can't imagine no internet/texting/email/youtube/TV on my smartphone on long Connie trips!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 01:37:16 PM »
I"m sure that they'd give you a special dispensation Steve, just cuz it's you and all.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 01:48:04 PM »
I"m sure that they'd give you a special dispensation Steve, just cuz it's you and all.

That hasn't been the case in the past
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 01:48:52 PM »
Maybe I need to start flippin' out my COG card  ;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 02:25:36 PM »
Maybe I need to start flippin' out my COG card  ;)

It can't hurt right?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 02:28:44 PM »
It can't hurt right?

Yes sir I agree it can't hurt, next time I'll try it and ask the office to note "member # 9334"   :D

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 03:35:22 PM »
The way I read the article it would apply to hand free devices unless installed by OEM. There is no mention of GPS. I would watch this closely if it gains any traction as the NTSB has not always been forthright and upfront with their wording.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 06:25:05 PM »
   I'm all for it. Does it apply to the yakkers in the grocery store??? >:(
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 06:42:23 PM »
It doesn't go far enough.  Every day in the morning commute I see people with their "smart phones" propped up in front of the speedometer, watching streaming TV news or whatever, 70+ MPH, latte in one hand, breakfast muffin in the other.  Time to disable ALL mobile devices when traveling faster than 5MPH.  And don't give the argument about airplane pilots talking on their radios while flying at hundreds of miles per hour.  Aircraft aren't traveling ten feet apart.  There is a lot more room to bob and weave a little at 10,000 feet.  One large problem is that we all (myself included sometimes) think we are smarter and better than we really are.  It's always the "other guy" who is at fault, not me.  I've found myself getting distracted sometimes just talking with someone riding in the back seat.  Well, the enemy is US, to paraphrase Pogo.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 08:14:56 PM »
Truly, I really appreciate the sentiment behind it, but I'm against it as it is a law.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 08:25:10 PM »
Here's my take on it, it isnt that we dont have a law already banning distracted driving, it is a lack of enforcement.  A new law won't change anything.  What we need is a law requiring enforcement of existing laws, if the law is antiquated it should be removed.  I hate new feel good laws.  If a large majority actually follwed the laws all would be good, problem is the law breakers feel safe against full prosecution.  A simple point would be drinking and driving, need I say more?

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 08:55:51 PM »
Here's my take on it, it isnt that we dont have a law already banning distracted driving, it is a lack of enforcement.  A new law won't change anything.  What we need is a law requiring enforcement of existing laws, if the law is antiquated it should be removed.  I hate new feel good laws.  If a large majority actually follwed the laws all would be good, problem is the law breakers feel safe against full prosecution.  A simple point would be drinking and driving, need I say more?

Isn't that what Arizona did with their immigration law?? Just sayin'.  ::)

I agree. Enforce the laws that we already have. Ticket the "weavers" that are texting, talking, or just putting on their makeup. No need for more government intervention in our lives.

I was in my cage the other day and got passed on the interstate by a kid doing about 85 mph on a sport bike. Tennis shoes, no socks, basketball shorts, tank top, expensive helmet (gotta give him that), but was texting on his cell phone with his clutch hand!!
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 09:12:15 PM »
If they do it they had better include law enforcement. I see cops all the time driving while on the phone. They already have a police radio so saying they have an emergency won't fly.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 09:47:32 PM »
If they do it they had better include law enforcement. I see cops all the time driving while on the phone. They already have a police radio so saying they have an emergency won't fly.

And clicking on their mounted laptops as they go down the road.  And folks want them to write tickets for people on phones?  Let's come back to reality, big government control sux and this law would be only to have another reason to ticket you (oops i meant "collect revenues").

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 09:51:43 PM »

Basically in agreement. Driving 'under the influence' is against the law. But what is the criteria for 'under the influence' to get a violator into court? "I saw him/her wandering" will get thrown out in a heart beat. And remember, motorcycles tend to wander.

I too have seen 'smart phone' drivers watching something on their smartphones during morning/evening rush hour. Some even weave/wander. I dare say all (except my buddy Mike the Road Warrior that could probably juggle three flaming razors while talking/driving) were driving in a handicapped state.

It would appear that in order to get a 'law' to stick in court, it needs to be easily quantifiable, and I don't see that we have that.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Son of Pappy

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
And clicking on their mounted laptops as they go down the road.  And folks want them to write tickets for people on phones?  Let's come back to reality, big government control sux and this law would be only to have another reason to ticket you (oops i meant "collect revenues").
I'd be willing to bet some politician is up for reelection and this is a political coup.  When it comes time to actually convict/hold accountable for violating this law knees start to waver.  We can have a billion laws, unfortunately this only means many shades of gray, kinda like silverdamit.  If laws prevented crime the jails would be empty and we wouldnt have MADD.

Offline jbailey

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 10:37:11 PM »
What we need is an extensive driver education program.  If you start with bad drivers and then distract them with toys and gizmos, this is what you get.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 04:10:30 AM »
I'd be willing to bet some politician is up for reelection and this is a political coup.  When it comes time to actually convict/hold accountable for violating this law knees start to waver.  We can have a billion laws, unfortunately this only means many shades of gray, kinda like silverdamit.  If laws prevented crime the jails would be empty and we wouldnt have MADD.
Wait a minute SOP, it is an immutable fact that Silverdammit is the true color of the fastest C14.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 04:26:17 AM »
At least get them out of the left lane. Daddy's comin' through. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.