Author Topic: NTSB: Ban cell phone use while driving  (Read 7830 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: NTSB: Ban cell phone use while driving
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 04:51:00 AM »
At least get them out of the left lane. Daddy's comin' through. 8)

;D
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 06:45:41 AM »
Wait a minute SOP, it is an immutable fact that Silverdammit is the true color of the fastest C14.
See?  It's Neutron Silverdamit that is the fastest, Silverdamit is the slightly slower C10 version ;D  Any other color and the endorsement process is similar to acquiring a 49cc moped endorsement ;) 

This is a perfect example of a law, differant color, but same bike.  We joke about it daily, but lawyers and politicians make a living off of what amounts to color.  Me personally, I would of stuck with the original 2nd gen color as it gets the job done, doesn't need to be washed as often, has been used more then the other colors, and no other color was needed, just desired.  C10s would be required to be in museums as unefficiant and unneeded, strickin from the books so to speak.  But, then again, FJRs shoulda been strickin back in '07 as well, although as a Junior Rider bike they do serve a purpose (For Junior Riders) ;)  I guess we could equip all MSF training schools with FJRs, just dont allow them on the road ;D 

So, do any of these kinda arguments sound like some of the arguments we hear as to why a new law is needed?

And, yes, any other color than Neutron Silver needs to stay out of the hammer lane, 'cause as jimmymac so eloquently argued, "Daddy's comin' through"!!!!!  Any other color found there will be issued a $1500 fine 8)

Offline W14

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 07:07:58 AM »
Yeh to the NTSB, distracted drivers not only endanger their lives but also the lives of others. 

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 07:15:51 AM »
If they do it they had better include law enforcement. I see cops all the time driving while on the phone. They already have a police radio so saying they have an emergency won't fly.

In some cases, there is a valid reason for using a phone instead of the radio.  And the exceptions to the cell phone laws that I've seen always specify "in the performance of their duty".  But I know it gets abused by many officers.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Son of Pappy

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 07:29:57 AM »
In some cases, there is a valid reason for using a phone instead of the radio.  And the exceptions to the cell phone laws that I've seen always specify "in the performance of their duty".  But I know it gets abused by many officers.
Not to forget the extra training an average officer gets, such as EVOC and others.  Sometimes info is passed that is not wanted over an open channel or keeping a channel free for a true emergency.  Is it abused?  Certainly, but I feel safer seeing a LEO on the phone then I do when I see an average joe or jody gabbing away.  I do think they (LEO) should have their cars fitted with an automatic bluetooth setup, it could be made to pair with an official phone only and a radio override built in, just like they do on car radios, just in reverse, with an officer selected override.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 08:54:03 AM »
I'm confused about something here.

Some of you guys are saying that we don't need another law concerning driving and cell phone use. I don't know about your area but here in the Land-O-Lincoln it's not illegal to use a cell and drive, unless you're in a construction zone. Texting is illegal anytime you're driving though.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline W14

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 11:51:49 AM »
Cell phone laws vary by state. According to the NTSB,  35 states ban text messaging while driving, 30 ban cell phones and 10 ban all use of hand-held cell phones.

Virginia's law prohibits drivers younger than 18 from operating a vehicle while using a cell phone or any other wireless commmunication's device. The law, however, is a secondary law, meaning the driver has to stopped for something else (e.g., speeding) before being ticketed for the cell phone violation

Son of Pappy

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 02:43:43 PM »
I'm confused about something here.

Some of you guys are saying that we don't need another law concerning driving and cell phone use. I don't know about your area but here in the Land-O-Lincoln it's not illegal to use a cell and drive, unless you're in a construction zone. Texting is illegal anytime you're driving though.
Illegal in WA State unless ya have hearing aides :yikes: , then it's OK, that gets a big WTF from me.  Oh well, I do love the built in bluetooth, I learned how to use it in the driveway and to me it's clearer to use than the phone is.  Do they have a distracted driving law in Illinois?  I would bet they do.  I could probably take 20 pics each way of folks openly using their cellphones, no fear from the man as they say, and I see at least 2-6 state troopers each way.  I just dont get it........

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 03:38:21 PM »
Illinois
■Drivers under the age of 19 are prohibited from using wireless phones while driving — with or without hands-free devices.
 ■All drivers prohibited from text messaging and related activities such as emailing and Internet use.
 ■Motorists prohibited from use of cellular phones in school speed zones and construction/road maintenance zones.
 ■In Chicago, all drivers talking on mobile phones must use hands-free devices. Text messaging prohibited while driving. Fines: $100-$500

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Which States Have Cell Phone, Texting While Driving Bans?
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2011, 05:12:56 PM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Which States Have Cell Phone, Texting While Driving Bans?
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 06:26:56 PM »
And not a one of them enforces it. ::)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2011, 07:23:48 PM »
If the states pass this recommendation into law, I guess all of you guys will trash your GPS's and wireless headsets? I believe that it says ALL portable electronic devices.

One article said, "States should ban all driver use of cell phones and other portable electronic devices, except in emergencies, the National Transportation Board said Tuesday."

Another article said, "As part of its recommendation, the National Transportation Safety Board is urging states to ban drivers from using hands-free devices, including wireless headsets."

Food for thought.  ???
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 07:23:54 PM »
And not a one of them enforces it. ::)

Fortunately. Although when some states find out its a revenue stream they are missing they'll have their meter maids write tickets.

But not in FL, according to that pic we have no such silly law such as the Nancy Pelosi and Reid states on that map
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 09:17:58 PM »
Texas is only for NEW drivers?
Why not ALL drivers, just because some dude is 10 years older than me doesn't make him a better driver.
Past: XR650R, 250 Ninjette.
Present: None...
Next: C-14, '08-09 Speed Triple, and/or Sprint GT.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2011, 11:02:55 PM »
Not to forget the extra training an average officer gets, such as EVOC and others.  Sometimes info is passed that is not wanted over an open channel or keeping a channel free for a true emergency.  Is it abused?  Certainly, but I feel safer seeing a LEO on the phone then I do when I see an average joe or jody gabbing away.  I do think they (LEO) should have their cars fitted with an automatic bluetooth setup, it could be made to pair with an official phone only and a radio override built in, just like they do on car radios, just in reverse, with an officer selected override.

Well, there are no open channels here. Our system is trunked and as far as I know there is no way to listen in. Sorry though, when I see a cop just cruising down the road with their arm resting against the window and driving the speed limit (or somewhere close to it) I don't see a need for them to use it. I feel the same way about them as I do anybody else.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 11:29:22 PM »
And hence the "Is it abused" comment.  Most are more capable to multi task than the average driver.  Dedicated Bluetooth setups work really well, tap a button on the steering wheel, say a command, car dials for you, no need to take your eyes off the road.  Calls come in nice and clear, and once done tap a button and the call is over.  Answer is even easier, push and talk.
Now to see a LEO chatting away, maybe smiling while on his phone, that is simple abuse of power. All that is needed is shoot a short video and send it to a local media outlet.  Let things happen naturally.  Kinda hard to argue solid evidence caught on tape.

I will use my favorite Arena word.  Accountable for ones own actions.  Start enforceing the law, no freebies, no warnings.  It is what it is and the truth is the truth no matter who believes it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 10:04:00 AM by Son of Pappy »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2011, 04:15:24 AM »
Virginia's law prohibits drivers younger than 18 from operating a vehicle while using a cell phone or any other wireless commmunication's device. The law, however, is a secondary law, meaning the driver has to stopped for something else (e.g., speeding) before being ticketed for the cell phone violation

Like hitting someone head-on and wiping out an entire family...that might count.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2011, 04:48:51 AM »
Illinois
■Drivers under the age of 19 are prohibited from using wireless phones while driving — with or without hands-free devices.
 ■All drivers prohibited from text messaging and related activities such as emailing and Internet use.
 ■Motorists prohibited from use of cellular phones in school speed zones and construction/road maintenance zones.
 ■In Chicago, all drivers talking on mobile phones must use hands-free devices. Text messaging prohibited while driving. Fines: $100-$500

Thanks Pinky.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2011, 04:52:46 AM »
Fortunately. Although when some states find out its a revenue stream they are missing they'll have their meter maids write tickets.

But not in FL, according to that pic we have no such silly law such as the Nancy Pelosi and Reid states on that map

They're missing a nice revenue stream around these parts. There are LOTS of cars around with window tinting that's darker than allowed by law. In Illinois it's against the law to have your tires protrude past your fender wells yet there's lots of trucks around with BIG tires that stick out WAY past the fenders. No skin off my nose, just sayin...

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2011, 09:21:06 AM »
Well, there are no open channels here. Our system is trunked and as far as I know there is no way to listen in.

Scanners that do trunk-tracking are readily available.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157