Author Topic: NTSB: Ban cell phone use while driving  (Read 7834 times)

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: NTSB: Ban cell phone use while driving
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2011, 11:36:32 AM »
Y'all missed something big in this report. The NTSB is blaming the kid on his cell phone for the crash. He ran into the back of a truck, then TWO school buses ran into him. The NTSB is laming the kid's texting for the buses rear ending him! Why did the two bus drivers not see what was in front of them and take appropriate action? Sad thing is this happened not far from me and NONE of the local "news" organizations are questioning this. Government thinks we are very stupid and won't notice this. Sadly they are right.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2011, 12:01:41 PM »
And hence the comment "Is it abused" comment.  Most are more capable to multi task better then the average driver.  Dedicated Bluetooth setups work really well, tap a button on the steering wheel, say a command, car dials for you, no need to take your eyes off the road.  Calls come in nice and clear, and once done tap a button and the call is over.  Answer is even easier, push and talk.
Know to see a LEO chatting away, maybe smiling while on his ohone, that is simple abuse of power. All that is needed is shoot a shrt video and send it to a local media outlet.  Let things happen naturally.  Kinda hard to argue solid evidence cought on tape.

I will use my favorite Arena word.  Accountable for ones own actions.  start enforceing the law, no freebies, no warnings.  It is what it is and the truth is the truth no matter who believes it.

Great post and I agree!!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2011, 12:13:37 PM »
Y'all missed something big in this report. The NTSB is blaming the kid on his cell phone for the crash. He ran into the back of a truck, then TWO school buses ran into him. The NTSB is laming the kid's texting for the buses rear ending him! Why did the two bus drivers not see what was in front of them and take appropriate action? Sad thing is this happened not far from me and NONE of the local "news" organizations are questioning this. Government thinks we are very stupid and won't notice this. Sadly they are right.
:goodpost: Seems like more than one criminally negligent action to me also.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2011, 12:41:45 PM »
No worries, today in FL we can still text while ride our Connies. Even with a patrol car riding beside of us  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2011, 08:50:02 PM »
Scanners that do trunk-tracking are readily available.

I don't know all the in's and out's of it but I found this about it:

All San Antonio Police, Fire, and EMS operations use this EDACS ProVoice system. Most operations are in digital mode, and the system uses ESK which prevents most scanners from monitoring public safety communications.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2537

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2011, 09:46:14 PM »
OK, I will be truthful, I didn't read each reply. Why ?, cause it is late and I am tired. But if you ask me, and I know you're not, it is just like Speeding.
It is done all the time, and it is a very small percentage that get caught.
The key is the sentance for doing so. Just my $.02.
Speeding: +10 first time = $250, 2nd time in 1 yr. = $1000, 3rd = $2000 and 3 months behind bars. Anything above 10, fines and incarseration X 2 then 3. Now tell the truth, how many times would you speed now?

Cell Phone usage, in any way: 1st = $250 fine. 2nd = $500 and phone confiscated. 3rd. time = $1000 and license suspended 1 yr.

I know, a pipe dream. The Justice system is so lame and balless, it would never fly. But I bet it would slow that texting down a little bit.
Oh well, time for bad.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2011, 10:15:29 PM »
I don't know all the in's and out's of it but I found this about it:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2537

A little about "ESK".

Not widely used, and apparently it looks like Uniden makes several scanners that can listen in.  (The software is available on that page)  And it is a feature designed by M/A-COM.   :pukeface:  I've had to use their radios in the past.... 

As with anything, if it is transmitted over radio waves, and someone wants to listen in, they can.  Just a question of how badly ($$) they want to listen.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2011, 05:51:39 AM »
OK, I will be truthful, I didn't read each reply. Why ?, cause it is late and I am tired. But if you ask me, and I know you're not, it is just like Speeding.
It is done all the time, and it is a very small percentage that get caught.
The key is the sentance for doing so. Just my $.02.
Speeding: +10 first time = $250, 2nd time in 1 yr. = $1000, 3rd = $2000 and 3 months behind bars. Anything above 10, fines and incarseration X 2 then 3. Now tell the truth, how many times would you speed now?

Cell Phone usage, in any way: 1st = $250 fine. 2nd = $500 and phone confiscated. 3rd. time = $1000 and license suspended 1 yr.

I know, a pipe dream. The Justice system is so lame and balless, it would never fly. But I bet it would slow that texting down a little bit.
Oh well, time for bad.
Ride safe all.
Greg
I guess you ride a moped?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2011, 06:26:43 AM »
Illinois
■Drivers under the age of 19 are prohibited from using wireless phones while driving — with or without hands-free devices.
 ■All drivers prohibited from text messaging and related activities such as emailing and Internet use.
 ■Motorists prohibited from use of cellular phones in school speed zones and construction/road maintenance zones.
 ■In Chicago, all drivers talking on mobile phones must use hands-free devices. Text messaging prohibited while driving. Fines: $100-$500

I was driving in downtown Chicago yesterday. Did the law stop folks from blabbin on their cells while driving? Hell no! We saw lots of em all around us, even with a LEO right behind them.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2011, 06:53:35 AM »
You have to realize Chicago is not subject to the same laws as the rest of the state.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2011, 01:06:21 PM »
I was texting from my bike today while on a ride  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2011, 06:02:47 PM »
I was texting from my bike today while on a ride  :D
I would have passed you. Maybe on the rear tire. ;D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2011, 06:34:48 PM »
A news story today (locally) said texting and driving was more dangerous than drunk driving.  Now, they've never seen me drink, but still.  Based on this idea, dont they have to clamp down on texting while driving?  The penalty for it is much less than dui.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2011, 07:33:33 PM »
I would have passed you. Maybe on the rear tire. ;D

I'd have blamed it on texting with Teressa even if you're faster

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2011, 05:17:05 PM »
 8)
The grass isn't always greener.