Author Topic: New Africa Twin Adventure Sports probably will be my C14 replacement  (Read 3435 times)

Offline jamiemac

The insurance settlement probably isn't going to cover the cost of a new Wing, so I've also been looking at the Africa twin. The 2018 Adventure Sports model has a more rugged suspension, with longer travel, and pretty big 6.4 gallon fuel tank, factory heated grips, and a really cool (in my opinion) paint job. Been watching the heck out of Youtube videos about it, and I like the engine, and how comfortable everyone seems to think it is. I've sat on a few in the dealerships, and the seat is pretty nice. Also, my banged up knee doesn't have to bend super far to get on the footpegs. Still hoping I'll be able to get a Goldwing, but if I wind up on the AT, I won't really be too heartbroken.

Edit to add: Oh, and it is also available with the 6 speed DCT transmission, which is something I'm pretty stoked about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmwgsnPyN6E
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 08:02:51 PM by jamiemac »
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
Re: New Africa Twin Adventure Sports probably wil by my C14 replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 07:12:02 PM »
That Africa Twin can’t be a true Adventure Touring bike... It’s got no beak!!!  :rotflmao:
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 07:23:07 PM »
That Africa Twin can’t be a true Adventure Touring bike... It’s got no beak!!!  :rotflmao:
Haha! No doubt! WTF is with those beak bikes anyways?
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 11:52:38 AM »

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 12:20:08 PM »

Yeah, the problem with its front end is it looks like it's supposed to have a beak but doesn't! ... like somebody came along and knocked its beak off!  :rotflmao:

It's a Honda, so you know it'll be good ... but I don't think it's very good lookin'.

Edit: How bout a pic:

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 02:39:05 PM by Conniesaki »

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 01:27:06 PM »
Yeah, the problem with its front end is it looks like it's supposed to have a beak but doesn't! ... like somebody came along and knocked its beak off!  :rotflmao:

It's a Honda, so you know it'll be good ... but I don't think it's very good lookin'.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 06:13:53 PM »
I have to say... the Africa Twin looks a lot better than Daffy without a beak!

I actually like the looks of the Africa Twin. Now, the Super Tenere truely looks like something is missing.

2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 06:35:15 PM »
The insurance settlement probably isn't going to cover the cost of a new Wing, so I've also been looking at the Africa twin. The 2018 Adventure Sports model has a more rugged suspension, with longer travel, and pretty big 6.4 gallon fuel tank, factory heated grips, and a really cool (in my opinion) paint job. Been watching the heck out of Youtube videos about it, and I like the engine, and how comfortable everyone seems to think it is. I've sat on a few in the dealerships, and the seat is pretty nice. Also, my banged up knee doesn't have to bend super far to get on the footpegs. Still hoping I'll be able to get a Goldwing, but if I wind up on the AT, I won't really be too heartbroken.

Edit to add: Oh, and it is also available with the 6 speed DCT transmission, which is something I'm pretty stoked about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmwgsnPyN6E

Just watched the video. Looks like it would be a fun bike. Not sure about the DCT tho. Just seems weird not shifting or having a clutch on a motorcycle. Thought the same thing when we were buying my wife’s Spyder. Thankfully, she feels the same and opted for the manual trans.

The other thing that really stood out to me in the video was a 300 mile fuel range (awesome). Downside is a 300 mile fuel range with no cruise control?!?  Sounds like an oversite straight from Kawasaki’s play book. (Definitely NOT awesome)
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 07:02:57 PM »
Just watched the video. Looks like it would be a fun bike. Not sure about the DCT tho. Just seems weird not shifting or having a clutch on a motorcycle. Thought the same thing when we were buying my wife’s Spyder. Thankfully, she feels the same and opted for the manual trans.

The other thing that really stood out to me in the video was a 300 mile fuel range (awesome). Downside is a 300 mile fuel range with no cruise control?!?  Sounds like an oversite straight from Kawasaki’s play book. (Definitely NOT awesome)
Yes! Huge bummer on the lack of cruise control! I checked to see if MC-Cruise has one for the 18 model, and they do, so there's that. Not sure what Honda was thinking, making a premium version of the bike, and no cruise? SMH. I've been caught in stop and go traffic jams while traveling enough times in the past, that some sort of auto clutch or automatic is something I've wanted on a bike for years. The Dual Clutch Transmission, is both. You can shift it with the paddle shifters like a sports car, or You can let the computer do the shifting. I think I can get used to that.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 07:13:05 PM »
I suppose their thinking was, "Nobody sets cruise control on trails." ... but also, let's omit it and charge the same  :thumbs:

In reality I'm sure most dudes ride it on the street, at least part of the time, and Honda should know that, admit it, and put cruise on the bike.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 07:32:04 PM »
I suppose their thinking was, "Nobody sets cruise control on trails." ... but also, let's omit it and charge the same  :thumbs:

In reality I'm sure most dudes ride it on the street, at least part of the time, and Honda should know that, admit it, and put cruise on the bike.

You have to ride it on the street to get to the trials in most cases. Having a 300 mile range and no cruise just seems wrong. Not many are going to do a 300 mile trail ride with no fuel stops planned. If they do, they are probably either riding by themselves or with someone who is also riding and Africa Twin.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 07:31:55 AM »

One can always be installed using aftermarket parts.

Maybe an African Gray would be more appropriate?

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 07:19:38 PM »
One can always be installed using aftermarket parts.

Maybe an African Gray would be more appropriate?

Are those your birds?

I met a guy a few years back at Rolling Thunder that has a Scarlet Macaw that rides with him everywhere he goes. He was on a custom chopper (no windshield or fairing). Said he rode from NH to DC with his Macaw on his shoulder the whole way. He said he started riding with him tucked in his jacket when the bird was very young in order to get him used to riding. Over time, the bird would venture out of his jacket and began perching on his shoulder. Now he has been riding for several years.

Found a few pictures I took of him.

2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 08:02:21 PM »
That's really cool! Real pirates!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 06:13:12 AM »
Are those your birds?

I met a guy a few years back at Rolling Thunder that has a Scarlet Macaw that rides with him everywhere he goes. He was on a custom chopper (no windshield or fairing). Said he rode from NH to DC with his Macaw on his shoulder the whole way. He said he started riding with him tucked in his jacket when the bird was very young in order to get him used to riding. Over time, the bird would venture out of his jacket and began perching on his shoulder. Now he has been riding for several years.

No, those aren't my birds. I did have a blue fronted Amazon parrot for 30 years though, Barney was 35 when he died in 2009.

Here's Barney and Agnes having a 'discussion'.

[smg id=417]

[smg id=416]
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn