Author Topic: Advise on hot weather riding  (Read 4904 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Advise on hot weather riding
« on: August 26, 2013, 06:06:42 AM »
I need to make a trip to Des Moines, IA for work. It is about 320 - 330ish miles from where I live and takes about 5 hrs with stops and all. I need to make the trip today at around 2pm and came back end of the week around the same time. The forecast is hot weather with temperature touching upwards of 100 degree. My riding gear consist of a full mesh Joe Rocket loose weave jacket that lets air through out the wazoo and a tight weave Scorpion, that is very stingy on the air flow - neither has a way of controlling flow via vents. For bottoms it has always been heavy denim for me. I cannot make up my mind if I should ride my bike or just take the car.....any help appreciated from those that ride in hot weather conditions.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Advise on hot weather riding
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 06:12:36 AM »
If I was going interstate I'd take the cage. Cross country I'd ride.
Looks like interstate is going to be least time and distance If you need to stay in that time frame, car it is. Interstates suck unless there is a reward at the other end. Work is not it.  ;)

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 07:08:43 AM »
I live in GA and it's hot a lot here. I find that on a long day, 100 degree air moving through my mesh jacket, mesh pants, and mesh gloves is nice but still 100 degree air. This is very little cooling effect. It's hot and I dehydrate constantly no matter how much I drink. If you do a five hour ride in that heat, plan to drink at least a quart an hour. That's what we always did when backpacking in 90-100 degree heat. If I had all day and could stop, nap, rest, etc. maybe I'd ride. If you need to be presentable and ready to work when you get there, take the car.
Ron
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 08:08:57 AM »
Never, ever take the car when you have a running motorcycle. A ride on the bike is always better than driving in a 4 wheeler.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 08:12:31 AM »
I am starting at 2pm and geting there around 7pm. I will have the night to rest up. I am afraid of the getting dehydrated part...
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 08:30:53 AM »
Never, ever take the car when you have a running motorcycle. A ride on the bike is always better than driving in a 4 wheeler.

+1  :thumbs: I use a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh in hot weather also. If it's really hot, wet your t-shirt every 1/2 hour or so.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 09:50:59 AM »
Yep, it's gonna be a hot one today for sure. Low 90's in my neck of N IL. The whole week is gonna be hot.

I'd ride.   :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 09:55:18 AM »
Gauge your intake and drink steadily on your ride. Just keep sipping. If you don't have to stop and "return some water to the wild" about two hours into it, you're not drinking enough. A bladder in a tank bag or camelback works pretty well.

Since you have an overnight to rest and recover, shower, etc., go for it, just drink a quart of water (yes you can) before you start and stay hydrated as you go. If you wait until you're thirsty to drink, stop and take a break because you're running down. 

It's safe enough, I just don't ride long distances to meetings and stuff where I am supposed to look and "smell" good upon arrival.  ;D

Oddly enough its been in the 70's - 80's here in GA the last couple of weeks, but 90's are coming this weekend.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 10:38:03 AM »
Gauge your intake and drink steadily on your ride. Just keep sipping. If you don't have to stop and "return some water to the wild" about two hours into it, you're not drinking enough. A bladder in a tank bag or camelback works pretty well.

Since you have an overnight to rest and recover, shower, etc., go for it, just drink a quart of water (yes you can) before you start and stay hydrated as you go. If you wait until you're thirsty to drink, stop and take a break because you're running down. 

It's safe enough, I just don't ride long distances to meetings and stuff where I am supposed to look and "smell" good upon arrival.  ;D

Oddly enough its been in the 70's - 80's here in GA the last couple of weeks, but 90's are coming this weekend.

Great advice! Definitely stay hydrated!

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 11:13:07 AM »
Stop often for gas and a drink, maybe once an hour. When you pull into the station, toss your jacket into the cooler in front of the store where they keep the bag ice. Get your gas, drink, snack, bathroom break. Then, throw your cooled jacket back on and take off. A five minute stop every hour will do wonders.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 11:59:10 AM »
Well I did not want to take a chance on getting sick - so decided to take the cage. I need to meet up with my team by 7pm so we can go over stuff before our meeting with client in the morning - so decided I better not take too long getting there. The last time I went, I did take the bike and it was a blast - but temps were in 70s.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 10:58:16 PM »
It may be late in this conversation but as far as hydration goes, when I did my SS1k I used a Camelbak that I filled with water and put in the freezer until completely frozen. I had cool water for a long time.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 08:44:37 AM »
+1  I used mine from the east coast to Reno and back, well at least to Wyoming.  I left it in the fridge at the hotel in Laramie so I didn't have it for the rest of the way back.  Really missed it though.  Hotel was nice and mailed it back home for me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 10:27:33 PM »

+1

:censored: yes

I'd rather push my bike through 100 degrees than take any of my friggin' cages
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 10:29:32 PM »
As long as I have a fresh FOB battery installed, my Connie14 spits in the face of diamond backer rattlers in 115 degree temps during brutal off road ADV rides.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine