Author Topic: Radar detector mount  (Read 1632 times)

Offline kzz1king

Radar detector mount
« on: December 11, 2019, 08:30:43 PM »
I made this mount to hold my RD and the Aplirider. It is all mounted on a housing that sits on a magnetic base for easy removal. It is wired so one plug and patch cord to the phone are all that have to be disconnected to remove. Have not been able to try it out yet (10 below)
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline kzz1king

Re: Radar detector mount
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 08:33:47 PM »
The base with RD removed.  Sorry. I take crappy pics. It doesnt help that the bike is crammed in the corner awaiting spring.

Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 08:16:30 AM »
The fabrication looks good.  :thumbs:
I'm assuming that in the event of rain you're going to pull the whole thing off the magnetic mount and store it in a dry location or at least put a plastic bag over it until you're out of the rain?  I'm not familiar with your RD, but I'm fairly certain that the AmpliRider isn't weatherproof, at least their website hints that it is not. I'm just curious what the plan is in rain, if you pull the whole thing off do you loose GPS audio or is there an alternate hookup in that case?

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 10:17:52 AM »
It never rains on me LOL. Plan is to pull it off in rain and for security. Thats why I packaged together. I  just use Google maps or  Waze via phone. I am old school enough to carry maps and written routes as backup.  So when the storms hit the phone in pocket and earpiece in.

Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Snype

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 08:01:41 PM »
How are you mounting that to the bike itself??

I sure wish this bike had a shelf behind the windscreen.  My BMW had space to install an aftermarket shelf.  It was perfect for my tech.

How do the police mount crap to it?  They have more tech on board than I

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 09:21:03 PM »
Magnetic ram mount right above the left mirror. Bike is stashed away for winter so tough to get good pics.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 09:43:45 PM »
I sure wish this bike had a shelf behind the windscreen.  [...]How do the police mount crap to it?  They have more tech on board than I

I have seen photos of a shelf on a C14.  Might have been police, at that.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 11:23:20 AM »
I have seen photos of a shelf on a C14.  Might have been police, at that.

It was, but most could fabricate their own. It's just a piece of sheet metal with three tabs attached to the bike with well nuts.
I had to buttress support mine, but I'm putting considerably more load on mine. For just a radar detector the 3 tabs should be enough support.
It appears to be made from 16 gauge steel. Mine measures .065" thick including the paint on both sides. I think that if additional support
was desired for a light load that a curved support made of foam/plastic/wood that rests on the curved top of the speedo/tach unit would suffice.
It also is nice shade visor for the gauges as well.

https://fartymarty.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/C14-Dash-Shelf/n-H7d8LF/

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 02:31:04 PM »
It also is nice shade visor for the gauges as well.

https://fartymarty.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/C14-Dash-Shelf/n-H7d8LF/

Nice photo collection.  But you didn't include any glamor shots of the finished stuff from the driver's view!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 10:02:05 AM »
Nice photo collection.  But you didn't include any glamor shots of the finished stuff from the driver's view!
Well I was trying to stay on topic.  :P

That is, we were talking about a radar detector mount that would be behind a windshield for rain protection.
Since I use my shelf for a different purpose, I thought I should stick to the topic of only the shelf.
Here is more info: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=18000.msg283371#msg283371

..I wouldn't call it a glamor shot after the terminator flak I received  ;D, but per max's request: