Author Topic: New C14 owner from New Orleans, LA  (Read 7683 times)

Offline blueverclear

New C14 owner from New Orleans, LA
« on: February 04, 2015, 11:39:23 PM »
Hi, just joined the site and looking forward to learning some things about the concours 14.

A little bit about me,.....i'm in my early 30s and married with kids. I've owned about 12 bikes in the last 10 years. 8 jap sport bikes and 4 metric cruisers.

I currently own a custom yamaha roadstar bagger, built by me, and about 2 weeks ago bought an 08 C14 with 13k miles, shad sh46 top case, nuvi 550 GPS, and throttle lock bar ends. I've been searching for the right touring bike and the connie seemed to fit me the best, especially since I owned an 07 zx14 a few years back that i absolutely loved.

A few questions:

1) Best exhaust for the buck, im looking for more sound around town and quiet while crusing in high gear
2) best tires with a combo of grip, wet riding, and longevity
3) a better windshield
4) bmc or k&n air filter
5) oil, filter, gear oil, and spark plugs
6) Anyone doing a custom sound system for the connie? Before my bagger never wanted or needed one but i've definitely grown to enjoy it for sure.
7) what should a newbie know about a connie?

Look forward to the replies and very much appreciate the feedback and knowledge. Thanks a bunch.

Grant

Grant
08 Concours 14
04 Custom Roadstar Bagger
Sold: 07 ZX-14, 06 ZX10R, 05 FZ1, 05 R1, 03 Mean Streak, 00 Cbr 600 F4, 99 Roadstar, 99 Magna, 95 GSXR 750

Offline connie14boy

Re: New C14 owner from New Orleans, LA
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 11:50:49 PM »
Hi, just joined the site and looking forward to learning some things about the concours 14.

A little bit about me,.....i'm in my early 30s and married with kids. I've owned about 12 bikes in the last 10 years. 8 jap sport bikes and 4 metric cruisers.

I currently own a custom yamaha roadstar bagger, built by me, and about 2 weeks ago bought an 08 C14 with 13k miles, shad sh46 top case, nuvi 550 GPS, and throttle lock bar ends. I've been searching for the right touring bike and the connie seemed to fit me the best, especially since I owned an 07 zx14 a few years back that i absolutely loved.

A few questions:

1) Best exhaust for the buck, im looking for more sound around town and quiet while crusing in high gear
3) a better windshield
4) bmc or k&n air filter
6) Anyone doing a custom sound system for the connie? Before my bagger never wanted or needed one but i've definitely grown to enjoy it for sure.

Look forward to the replies and very much appreciate the feedback and knowledge. Thanks a bunch.

Grant

Welcome Grant, looks like the bike is in great shape. From my experience, and 50k trouble free miles with "Black Bear", I can recommend the Vance and Hines CS-One exhaust, Michelin PR tires with a 55 rear profile, a Seth Laam leather seat, along with a Cee Bailey windshield. Nuff said. Enjoy.

Offline blueverclear

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 01:35:14 AM »

Welcome Grant, looks like the bike is in great shape. From my experience, and 50k trouble free miles with "Black Bear", I can recommend the Vance and Hines CS-One exhaust, Michelin PR tires with a 55 rear profile, a Seth Laam leather seat, along with a Cee Bailey windshield. Nuff said. Enjoy.

Yea ive definitely been looking at the cee Bailey screen and the calsci also. I've read good things about both,of would really like to check them both out before I bought one.

Ive had v&h exhaust on a couple other bikes and they sound great. Im assuming you can only get a slip on? Will a better less clunky header fit with it?
Grant
08 Concours 14
Sold: 07 ZX-14, 06 ZX10R, 05 FZ1, 05 R1, 03 Mean Streak, 00 Cbr 600 F4, 99 Roadstar, 99 Magna, 95 GSXR 750

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 04:42:25 AM »
Nice looking ride. Welcome to the forum. :chugbeer:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 04:56:25 AM »
Welcome!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 11:44:46 AM »
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride!

A few questions:

3) a better windshield
4) bmc or k&n air filter

1) I'm running a Leo Vince slip-on titanium. Got it used on this forum and love it.
2) Michelin PR-4's fit that bill exactly
3) If you want more wind protection, Cee Baily Ultra Tour domed works great for me
4 & 5) Those questions will stir up quite a discussion  :popcorn:

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 01:31:54 PM »

Most of your questions will have subjective answers. Windshields and seats especially, and of course I'm not going to go near the oil question. With your experience with bikes you know were that will lead to.  :)

However, reference question #7, I think that the number one thing to know (for an experienced rider such as yourself) specifically about a C14, is never lose both fobs. If you lose one, immediately start looking everywhere for it, or get it replaced. Why?.., because if at that point you then lose the other one you are $crewed for at least a new fob and an ECU. When you go for a ride (especially on a long trip) make sure you have a good system for personal fob control that minimizes fob handling and misplacement and stick to it. I recommend a brightly colored lanyard and a deep pocket.

Just as extra tips: (1) If you read the owner's manual and refer to it when ever you have a question that doesn't involve farkles, you'll most likely know more than many of the folks on either forum. The O. M. isn't the final answer on everything, such as spark plug replacement intervals (have them checked at valve adjustment/check time and then replaced at the next valve adjust.) as every 7500 miles replacement is just silly. (2) There are at least 2 Generations of the C14 and I think the 2015 model counts as version 2.1, so as you read through the forum for information, realize that as a Gen I owner some here have features that your bike doesn't. However, with the exception of the seat color, I've always thought that your's was the best looking model of the 2.1 versions available.

Welcome Grant!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 02:15:46 PM by fartymarty »

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 01:49:34 PM »
Most of your questions will have subjective answers. Windshields and seats especially, and of course I'm not going to go near the oil question. With your experience with bikes you know were that will lead to.  :)

However, reference question #7, I think that the number one thing to know about a C14, for a C14 newb, is never lose both fobs. If you lose one, immediately start looking everywhere for it, or get it replaced. Why?.., because if at that point you then lose the other one you are $crewed for at least a new fob and ECU. When you go on a long trip make sure you have a good system for fob control that minimizes fob handling and misplacement and stick to it. I recommend a brightly colored lanyard and a deep pocket.

Just as an extra tip: If you read the owner's manual and refer to it when ever you have a question that doesn't involve farkles, you'll most likely know more than 50% of the folks on either forum. True the O. M. isn't the final answer on everything, such as spark plug replacement intervals (have them checked at valve adjustment/check time and then replaced at the next valve adjust.) as 7500 miles replacement is just silly.

Good advice right there. I recommend taking the battery out of the second fob and hiding it on the bike in a secure place free from weather. I do this with the passive fob (no battery to remove but only comes with gen 2 bikes) and have to remove stuff to get to it. Worst case when 2000 miles from home is I have to use some hex wrenches and about 10 minutes to get the spare fob. My trip goes on and the first chance I get I buy a new fob and have the bike programmed. Haven't had to do that yet but ready if I lose a fob.

Offline blueverclear

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 01:50:20 PM »

However, reference question #7, I think that the number one thing to know about a C14, for a C14 newb, is never lose both fobs. If you lose one, immediately start looking everywhere for it, or get it replaced. Why?.., because if at that point you then lose the other one you are $crewed for at least a new fob and ECU. When you go on a long trip make sure you have a good system for fob control that minimizes fob handling and misplacement and stick to it. I recommend a brightly colored lanyard and a deep pocket.

Just as an extra tip: If you read the owner's manual and refer to it when ever you have a question that doesn't involve farkles, you'll most likely know more than 50% of the folks on either forum. True the O. M. isn't the final answer on everything, such as spark plug replacement intervals (have them checked at valve adjustment/check time and then replaced at the next valve adjust.) as 7500 miles replacement is just silly.

Thanks for the replies guys. As for oil I have always run Mobile one full synthetic in my bikes, 20w50 in the cruisers and 10w40 in the inline bikes. I know alot of guys swear on amsoil I've just never tried it. I honestly never keep a bike longer than 20k miles and get something else with usually take me 1.5 - 2 years

The whole valve adjustment discussion definitely has my interest because I've never actually done one before on my bike. Absolutely don't believe in dealerships and have paid cash for all of my toys so looks like I will be doing it myself in the next few thousand miles.

I actually keep the fob in a place where i can NEVER loose it lol for better or for worse I suppose........ lol

one thing i have yet to see is a decent sound system on a C14, come on somebody has to have some good pics of a great system!!!
Grant
08 Concours 14

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 02:27:21 PM »
...one thing i have yet to see is a decent sound system on a C14, come on somebody has to have some good pics of a great system!!!
I actually know of a guy, also in Louisiana, that has a sound system on an'08 C14. His speakers (only 2 IIRC) are up front in the top panels, and the amp is in the left saddlebag. He purchased it used that way.
It's the only one I've seen on a C14 so I don't know if it qualifies as decent or great. I'll see what I can find out and get back here on it. I go with ear buds as I have a noisy helmet so I'm no help to you there.

Offline blueverclear

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 04:37:54 PM »
I actually know of a guy, also in Louisiana, that has a sound system on an'08 C14. His speakers (only 2 IIRC) are up front in the top panels, and the amp is in the left saddlebag. He purchased it used that way.
It's the only one I've seen on a C14 so I don't know if it qualifies as decent or great. I'll see what I can find out and get back here on it. I go with ear buds as I have a noisy helmet so I'm no help to you there.

Great, thanks brother. I have the Uclear system for my helmet with also works great. i bought it so that my wife and I could talk to each other while riding but it works great for music also  :)
Grant
08 Concours 14

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 04:45:34 PM »
Welcome!
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 11:21:23 PM »
Yea ive definitely been looking at the cee Bailey screen and the calsci also. I've read good things about both,of would really like to check them both out before I bought one.

Ive had v&h exhaust on a couple other bikes and they sound great. Im assuming you can only get a slip on? Will a better less clunky header fit with it?

I'm not sure about Vance & Hines headers- you'll have to call them re. that. You won't believe how much ugly weight is removed when you replace the bazooka muffler.

Offline blueverclear

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 12:50:42 AM »

I'm not sure about Vance & Hines headers- you'll have to call them re. that. You won't believe how much ugly weight is removed when you replace the bazooka muffler.

Lol i think i can believe it. Had real nice muzzy slip ons on my zx14, I've never seen a rocket launcher as big as the one on the connie lol
Grant
08 Concours 14

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 06:49:59 AM »
Lol i think i can believe it. Had real nice muzzy slip ons on my zx14, I've never seen a rocket launcher as big as the one on the connie lol

Got that right! I couldn't believe the difference in weight from the OEM to my Leo Vince titanium. It's like taking 4 or 5 bricks out of the right saddle bag.