Author Topic: question about coils and IC ignitors  (Read 1761 times)

Offline jworth

• Arena
question about coils and IC ignitors
« on: April 01, 2013, 07:53:51 PM »
In addition to my C10, I have a '00 VN750.  It's gotten increasingly difficult to start.  After doing some research over at vn750.org, I did a modification to the ignition system.  The modification is to use a relay to send battery voltage directly to the coils, the relay being signaled by the feed from the ignitor.  Of course the coils usually get their voltage through the ignitor.  Seems it is common for there to be significant voltage drop.  This is all sort of like how some people use something similar to upgrade the wiring to the C10 headlight.  In any case, this modification works like gangbusters.  My bike has never been so easy to start.  However, I have some concerns. 

What exactly does the ignitor do to the 12V before it sends it to the coil?  It seems the ignitor times the grounding for the spark.  Does it do anything to the +12V?  Should I be concerned that I might mess something up?  And on a somewhat different note, could this same thing be done to the C10 to achieve much of the same effect one receives from doing Tony's COPs?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.