Author Topic: How much power can the stock ('08 C14) clutch handle?  (Read 9386 times)

Offline ThrottleJock

How much power can the stock ('08 C14) clutch handle?
« on: August 09, 2017, 10:56:01 AM »
I'm in the process of installing a 30-shot of nitrous on my '08, I'm wondering whether it'll cook the clutch or not. Bike currently has zx14 throttle bodies and injectors, zx14 muzzy's full exhaust and a PCV. I'm having the bike dyno tuned, ECU flashed (derestriction mostly) and two maps built in a couple weeks. Not 100% sure the clutch will survive abuse on the dyno with the gas. Any guesses?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: How much power can the stock ('08 C14) clutch handle?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 12:21:06 PM »
 :popcorn:   No guesses, but it should be interesting.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 12:47:51 PM »
As I remember, the guys who are hanging turbos off of C-14s went over to at least some ZX 14 parts if not the entire clutch.

But to answer your question directly: I cannot answer your question.

Brian

:popcorn:   No guesses, but it should be interesting.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 01:40:28 PM »
My not guess is that the bike isn't designed for such things and while it may work, some pieces of the bike may not be robust enough to hold up...like the clutch, engine, drive train.   But again I still think it's an interesting thing to do.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ThrottleJock

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 02:46:53 PM »
I'm pretty confident that the engine will suck down 30 horse of nitrous all day if the fueling is right and some safety measures are in place. The general safe rule is 10hp/cylinder. The valve springs would be a limiting factor but they're the same as on a zx14, those bikes are happy ingesting 40-50 shots for hundreds of passes. I'm installing an rpm window switch that reads tpms voltage and will not fire the n02 solenoid outside of the window so if (when) I miss a shift, bang the rev limiter, etc... dire consequences will be avoided. Also wiring a relay in which will flip to the nitrous fuel map when the activation (horn button) is depressed. Anyway, seemed like a great idea at the time. I'll let you know how it goes. Ha!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 02:58:54 PM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 03:12:46 PM »
Jim, did you say with utter certainty that it may or may not work? If so, and that is how I read it, I absolutely agree.

:popcorn:

Brian

My not guess is that the bike isn't designed for such things and while it may work, some pieces of the bike may not be robust enough to hold up...like the clutch, engine, drive train.   But again I still think it's an interesting thing to do.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ThrottleJock

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 03:21:13 PM »
I love it. The good news is that complete motors are about $800 on eBay.  ;D

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 03:40:24 PM »
I don't know the answer to the question but it should be fun finding out!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 03:59:17 PM »
There are two gentlemen out there who have hung turbos off of C-14's: one is Spasonaconcours (I think his real name is Dustin) and I cannot remember the other one's name or handle. Dustin ended up munching an engine due to the fuel pressurization diaphragm giving out but I do not remember either one of them having any trouble with the clutches, or making any huge mods.

You could do a search of this forum as well as Google of course.

Brian

I love it. The good news is that complete motors are about $800 on eBay.  ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 04:10:01 PM »
Jim, did you say with utter certainty that it may or may not work? If so, and that is how I read it, I absolutely agree.

:popcorn:

Brian

I say ni with udder certainty that I am positively pessimistic about some things and not others.   I hope that clears it up.  ;)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 05:08:13 PM »
There are two gentlemen out there who have hung turbos off of C-14's: one is Spasonaconcours (I think his real name is Dustin) and I cannot remember the other one's name or handle. Dustin ended up munching an engine due to the fuel pressurization diaphragm giving out but I do not remember either one of them having any trouble with the clutches, or making any huge mods.

You could do a search of this forum as well as Google of course.

Brian
The other went by the handle punkynlew1

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 05:40:34 PM »
Maybe but that does not sound right Gary. ?? I think Punky and Lew (however he put it together) came along much later than the first turbo- guy I remember tweaking a C-14, and I only remember two with Dustin being the second and so far, last.

Brian

The other went by the handle punkynlew1

Offline deepseamdv

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 05:48:11 PM »
Without guys like the OP we might still be riding 36 bhp English Twins. Or is that Twin Engine Hog Slayers? I say go for it then lets us know how it goes.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1, Honda CB-650, 09C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph

Offline ThrottleJock

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 04:11:57 AM »
Just to be safe, I ordered up a fresh set of oem fibers and brocks spring shims. I'm betting that khi engineered a little headroom into the design and it'll handle it like a champ. Results will be in on August 22nd (assuming I can find some damn nitrous... industry-wide shortage right now as a result of the Airgas plant explosion in Jan).

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 04:19:15 AM »
 :thumbs: :popcorn:

Offline ThrottleJock

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 04:33:46 AM »
It's like these things were designed for the giggle gas. Tons of space for bottles and solenoid.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 04:37:27 AM »
Building as a street sleeper? or will you be able to make a pass or two at the track with the bags on?
I'd recommend pinning the bags for peace of mind.

Offline ThrottleJock

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 05:10:17 AM »
Both, really. I think sleepers are hilarious in all forms, but the the initial intent was to set it up to look stock, show up at the track with aerostich and bags on and crack people up by laying down 130mph passes.

Bags are pinned.  ;D

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 05:24:22 AM »
luck to you and we'll need more pics  :)