Author Topic: how the heck can I attach a key chain to fob?  (Read 4256 times)

Offline eng943

how the heck can I attach a key chain to fob?
« on: February 26, 2018, 05:08:49 PM »
Well, I've destroyed two key chains trying to get it through the two tiny holes on the fob. No bueno....anyone have a suggestion?

Hate fobs especially on bikes. Ordered new R1200R minus keyless ride. 
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: how the heck can I attach a key chain to fob?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 05:12:30 PM »
Two holes? I think it is really supposed to be used as one hole.....

Most people use a very small tie- wrap through the fob hole, then connect actual key rings to the tie- wrap.

Just my personal opinion but I would be wary of using a tie- wrap for anything that was moving and being bumped, knocked and jostled and calling it 'permanent'. I think I would find a much smaller key ring to pass through the KiPass fob hole and then attach that ring to a larger, normal sized key ring. Barring that, I would probably use a couple of loops of stainless steel wire and try gluing the rings against each other so they stay put.

I have not actually tried to use a KiPass fob that way, I just carry mine in a front pants pocket.

Brian

Well, I've destroyed two key chains trying to get it through the two tiny holes on the fob. No bueno....anyone have a suggestion?

Hate fobs especially on bikes. Ordered new R1200R minus keyless ride.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 05:55:52 PM »

Not really.  I would never do that with the active fob- I just keep it "permanently" in one of the zipped motorcycle jacket pockets.

Hate fobs especially on bikes.

I love them.  Don't have to find or take out a key :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 06:25:02 PM »
KINDA like this, I had to search to find when I originally posted the tie wrap thing, couldn't find it, so took another pic..
mini 4" tie wraps last about 3 years, and then pop, but when it does, it's in your pocket, so no big deal...

works great, and I attach the associated keys, like lock tool for Garmin, helmet locking cable, trailer locking cable and locks, etc., to each fob... and as they are in pocket, one in my Stich side jacket pocket, and one in pants pocket, no big dealeo... I do use the one from my jacket pocket to open the gas cap, with the aux key... only.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 06:58:59 PM »
I do love me some zip ties :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline katata1100

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 07:06:33 PM »
I use a real thin, small key ring. Ever leave your car at a shop and they put a little chintzy ring on it with a tag that has your name on it? That’s the ring you want.Once you get the ring on, put a little jb
Cold weld on the ends of it.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 09:27:34 PM »
Ordered new R1200R minus keyless ride. 
Quote from: eng943 signature
2012 C14. Baldwin dual saddle, Aeroflow Tall, Project D W.....blah blah..blah....... 190/55 rear. Sold for K16GT

↑↑↑   So, why do you still care?

I recommend bright colored lanyards, not key rings. I use two of those little nylon cords that typically come with flash drives...like these. <---The cords go thru the FOB holes, not the ring.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 09:45:17 PM »

'cause his signature also says he has a 2017 Concours :)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 10:36:32 PM »
'cause his signature also says he has a 2017 Concours :)
Good point.
OK, I sorry.  :-[

I was reading too quickly and saw 2017 K16GT and missed the C14...in my defense, a comma or semicolon would have helped. :P

If I had enough money to own a 2017 C14 and a 2017 K16GT and enough left over to order a new R1200R, I think I'd hire someone to hold my FOB (EZgirls) if it was causing me that much of a problem. (sort of a backhanded compliment to hide that I'm green with envy  :hail: )

Offline eng943

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 04:38:24 AM »

I recommend bright colored lanyards, not key rings. I use two of those little nylon cords that typically come with flash drives...like these. <---The cords go thru the FOB holes, not the ring.

Farty - Nobody likes a smart a**. Especially me....I own a C14, therefore, I care.   

Thanks for the tip on the Nylon cord. That actually occurred to me last night.
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 05:19:07 AM »
I just keep my fob in an inside pocket and have a spare key (to use with the panniers/fuel cap/seat) on my keyring with my other keys
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 06:56:01 AM »
I use to like to keep my Givi security key connected to my fob after I managed to loose one on a trip and had to break into my own topcase. Now I have the Givi key attached to a Tile that I can locate with my phone. And I can use the Tile to help find my phone.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 07:12:24 AM »
For whatever it is worth, I used to carry around a small USB drive mounted (Easy!) on my key ring exactly that way. Through the normal course of using and handling (EASY!) my keys, without being rough or careless with them, eventually the little corner of the drive broke off and the drive was no longer attached to the keys.

So as I said before about the tie- wrap, it <may> not be an ideal solution because that kind of attachment is just not rugged enough, at least IME, to survive for long. Long being years although when IS a good time to lose a fob?

Brian

I use to like to keep my Givi security key connected to my fob after I managed to loose one on a trip and had to break into my own topcase. Now I have the Givi key attached to a Tile that I can locate with my phone. And I can use the Tile to help find my phone.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 07:30:41 AM »
By the way that picture is of one of the fobs for my dead 09. I have two almost worthless fobs, such a shame I did not keep the numbers. My current 08 came with only one. I have purchased two passive fobs and will get them programmed soon.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Fountainclimber

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 06:41:14 AM »
I use a cell phone strap.  Got 10 from China for $4.99  They are color coded straps since they all look alike.  OK, maybe it's not REAL leather:-)

Offline O.C.

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 09:40:06 AM »
Some picture hanging wire threaded through and then crimped firmly with an electrical connection..... ;)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline tjhess74

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 07:53:36 PM »
+1 on the cell phone/camera lanyard. I've used a Canon point and shoot lanyard since I bought mine in 08, and it is holding strong. They are designed for decent weight applications and they attach super easily.
'08 C14 Steve's Flash Rocks!!!

The 'other' forum evicted me!