Author Topic: Quantum Mechanics - Tunnelling  (Read 2216 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Quantum Mechanics - Tunnelling
« on: September 21, 2014, 07:13:28 AM »
For some reason, actually it was a BBCA show 'Bang Goes the Theory', I've come to be keenly interested in Quantum Physics.  This interest will only last, or not whilst I'm looking at it, for a short time, but I would like to explore the concept of Tunnelling if anyone has a mind... :rotflmao: ...right.

Taken from the Wikipedia article...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling

Quantum tunnelling falls under the domain of quantum mechanics: the study of what happens at the quantum scale. This process cannot be directly perceived, but much of its understanding is shaped by the microscopic world, which classical mechanics cannot adequately explain. To understand the phenomenon, particles attempting to travel between potential barriers can be compared to a ball trying to roll over a hill; quantum mechanics and classical mechanics differ in their treatment of this scenario. Classical mechanics predicts that particles that do not have enough energy to classically surmount a barrier will not be able to reach the other side. Thus, a ball without sufficient energy to surmount the hill would roll back down. Or, lacking the energy to penetrate a wall, it would bounce back (reflection) or in the extreme case, bury itself inside the wall (absorption). In quantum mechanics, these particles can, with a very small probability, tunnel to the other side, thus crossing the barrier. Here, the "ball" could, in a sense, borrow energy from its surroundings to tunnel through the wall or "roll over the hill", paying it back by making the reflected electrons more energetic than they otherwise would have been.[9] The reason for this difference comes from the treatment of matter in quantum mechanics as having properties of waves and particles. One interpretation of this duality involves the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which defines a limit on how precisely the position and the momentum of a particle can be known at the same time.[4] This implies that there are no solutions with a probability of exactly zero (or one), though a solution may approach infinity if, for example, the calculation for its position was taken as a probability of 1, the other, i.e. its speed, would have to be infinity. Hence, the probability of a given particle's existence on the opposite side of an intervening barrier is non-zero, and such particles will appear on the 'other' (a semantically difficult word in this instance) side with a relative frequency proportional to this probability.

And, yes, this does hurt my brane considerably but I'm thinking if I can just grasp 1% of this then I'll stave of Alzheimers for at least a few seconds.

Quantum Mechanics Explained or Quantum Theory For Dummies

Could this be applied to the next life we lead at the end of this one?  Multi-dimensions, parallel universes?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Re: Quantum Mechanics - Tunnelling
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 12:08:05 PM »
I believe the quantum-tunneling effect is the principle behind the Oscillation Overthurster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Buckaroo_Banzai_Across_the_8th_Dimension

The Heinsenberg Uncertainty Principle explained:

An electron is driving down the road, and a cop pulls him over. The cop asks him, "Do you know how fast you were going?"  The electron says, "No."  The cop says, "You were going 92 MPH."  The electron says, "Oh, great, now I don't know where I am."
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 02:42:54 PM »
.... I've come to be keenly interested in Quantum Physics.  This interest will only last, or not whilst I'm looking at it, for a short time, ...

or till the glass is empty...

OH, LOOK....SHINY SQUIRREL...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Kirby

• I ride up front and look through the hole.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 03:19:30 PM »
It's funny because it's true.

Why just the other day, I was on my way to.... well, I don't remember but that is not important. I was off to get.... I can't remember that either. But the point is.... I can't remember that either.

Kirby

or till the glass is empty...

OH, LOOK....SHINY SQUIRREL...
Member: Dead Rodent's Riders
President: KiPass Lover's Society