Author Topic: helmet lock  (Read 2712 times)

Offline dude412

helmet lock
« on: February 28, 2013, 06:05:37 AM »
Wanting to buy a C10 helmet lock. Also will any C10 key work with any helmet lock? Thanks

Offline CRocker

• Arena
Re: helmet lock
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 10:35:28 AM »
Helmet locks are usually matched to the ignition key of the bike they came on...I might have a couple...but, I'm not sure if I have a key for them...I'll check...
'02 C-10

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 11:28:04 AM »
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 11:36:29 AM »
Or...

You could use an OEM or after market and do this with some bar stock from the hardware store like I did.  Some people have mounted (moved) the locks to the sides of rear rack instead of the the rear frame section (that was a bad place to begin with).  I think my local shop carries an after market lock for about $25, but that will leave you with an additional key to carry.

I would think you could use a padlock (combo so you have no key) with a strategically placed eye bolt somewhere.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline dude412

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 06:51:25 PM »
Sorry guys, my bad, I neglected to  say I have a C14.  When I first got it I didn't realize it didn't have a helmet lock. I plan on making a bracket and then use a C10 helmet lock on my Phil's rack. Thanks.

Offline udoggie

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 01:18:45 AM »
I know several people (me included) who use a gun cable lock for this.

Like this:

You can get them for free around here, at gun shows & stuff.

I consider it a bonus that mine has the name of a major firearm manufacture on it -- Maybe it'll give someone thinking of taking it a moment of pause...

Jeff
Aloha, OR.

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 07:33:26 AM »
Helmet locks are usually matched to the ignition key of the bike they came on...I might have a couple...but, I'm not sure if I have a key for them...I'll check...

Sorry...haven't been able to find anything... :(
'02 C-10

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 07:37:20 AM »
I will try today if I can remember.  I have 3 of them, but never checked this.  The glove boxes seem to be able to use any key and the gas caps can be easily re-keyed.  Haven't did an ignition or seat lock yet either.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 11:50:10 AM »
I know several people (me included) who use a gun cable lock for this.

Like this:

You can get them for free around here, at gun shows & stuff.

I consider it a bonus that mine has the name of a major firearm manufacture on it -- Maybe it'll give someone thinking of taking it a moment of pause...

Jeff

Good idea. I have about 10 of those things laying around.