Author Topic: Biketoberfest in Daytona was great until 4 am this morning, death, quick, brutal  (Read 2498 times)

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
On my way back to Daytona this morning on my C-14 cruising about 80 sun shining nicely.......Interstate 4 closed at Daytona Beach ramp on I-95....26 miles west a Harley rider and wife were headed home at 4 am....someone,  unknown hit them from the rear....up in the air they went......driver kept going never stopping.........a PT cruiser just behind the killer vehicle ran over both parties in the middle of the highway......and ran off the road into the woods and burst into flames......debris all over the road....

Never saw that much Interstate closed 8 Florida Highway Patrol cars involved in the investigation, wreckers, FD, ambulances etc........

Makes you wonder.....why me Lord?  Minding my own business....headed home normally like I have done several times before....and wham......both dead, alone, forgotten, run over agaian by another vehicle.....
Death so fast, brutal uncaring motorists.

I wear HI Visibility helmet, shirt, jacket, gloves...hoping it gives me some kind of a visibility advantage....

Hope you guys start thinking about being seen better on the road.....

25 years law enforcement under my belt and something like this just burns my butt in a big way!

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Amen

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
What a damn tragedy . And ,unfortunatly ,we cannot assume it was a visibility issue . I was on the way home from there Saturday am ,heading south on I95 in a loose staggered pattern with my wife and son riding behind me, when somebody in a Nissan Murano came around us and intentionally whipped back in ,literally inches from my front tire. Guess I flinched a little and swerved a little to the right -no damage done.

We were in the right lane ,70 MPH ,no other cars close. It seems some people out there really hate motorcycles.

My heart goes out to the family of the ones killed. Some consolation can perhaps be found in the fact that they went out doing what they loved.

Everybody watch out out there.
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Harley rider and wife were headed home at 4 am....someone,  unknown hit them from the rear....up in the air they went......driver kept going never stopping.........a PT cruiser just behind the killer vehicle ran over both parties in the middle of the highway......and ran off the road into the woods and burst into flames......debris all over the road...[...]I wear HI Visibility helmet, shirt, jacket, gloves...hoping it gives me some kind of a visibility advantage.... Hope you guys start thinking about being seen better on the road.....

That is horrible.  So sad.  :(

Not necessarily a visibility issue- The probability is high that the killer driver was either high on alcohol or drugs or distracted by a damn phone.  Yet HD's are not known for being highly visible, unless they are full-dressers with all the lights on the luggage and such.

I know I feel safer with my light bar: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2505  But I am not sure I would want to try and ride at 4am.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Scaffolder

Awful!
I have been working from 5:00 pm to midnight for a couple weeks. I would have to blame alcohol right off the bat. I am riding over 80 miles one way. I am counting how many drunks are on the road everynight and there is a lot. I stay clear of them and keep my eyes on every rider out there. I can't wait to get back on my regular day shift.
God bless all that were affected by this tragic accident.
Joel from Maine.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Sillyness every year at Biketoberfest.  Last year I saw a Hardley-Ableson sitting at a red light ALL LIT UP and a guy plowed into the back of him.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
  • The C14 is vastly overrated.
drivers don't gives a fck...they are in 5,000-pound steel boxes on 4 wheels...you, your SO, and bike = about 1,000 pounds and on two wheels. guess who wins that fight? and they know it too.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 05:49:25 AM by Assassin 11B3P »
Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.

Excavator

That is sad. I am amazed at how many people still drink and drive with the penalties now but I will not give up riding because of it. I just returned from a two day ride with no mishaps or close calls....until I was a few miles from home when someone (I think was drinking) pulled right out in front of me, it was dark but I have my low beams adjusted all the way up so there was no doubt I was quite visible. I hope the person who did this is captured and taken off the road...so sad.

Son of Pappy

Riding gives us individuality, something the masses dont have the courage to even attempt, much less do on a regular basis.  I like the daily challenges and I work on the skills required for survival regularly, and no, not just when I ride.  My favorite times to ride?  When it's raining out, really raining, and night time when there isn't another soul on the road.  But in general, I like being in the saddle whenever I can.  Them cagers?  Obstacles to be avoided at all costs :o

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
I don't ride much at night anymore if I can help it.  Not enough visibility and too many crazies on the road.  Last week I was in Richardson, TX doing some work and had a flight out very early in the morning.  I asked the hotel desk clerk about how long it would take and she said not to travel in the left lane of 635 back to the airport because they have so many incidents with wrong way drivers that time of night.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

valkmc

Second couple killed on the way home Sunday evening when a drunk turned left in front of them. The drunk had three previos DUI convictions. He has been charged with two counts of DUI Homicide, $100,000 bail. Not sure how he still had a license but the news report I saw said he recently was allowed to remove a breath machine from his truck. Very sad.