Author Topic: Yuck- here come the Harley's!  (Read 21056 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Yuck- here come the Harley's!
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
 :yikes: Really?  :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2011, 04:16:27 PM »
My H-D was $7k OTD in 2001.  Bought it late in 2001.  And even it had an electronic speedo.

. . . and 38 horsepower  ;D
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2011, 06:09:32 PM »
But I'm sure it looks mahvelous!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline TXIN

• H-Minus
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2011, 07:02:11 PM »
I guess some people like motorcycles... and some people like to complain. I like motorcycles.  ;D
Squeee!

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2011, 11:14:21 PM »

Your point?

Where I live, the fun roads don't require more than 3 gears anyway.

If you don't hit the corners at 2x the suggested speed, please move out of the way on the guy with the 50hp (exhause and intake modded) bike, because you're in the way.

Amazing how many people on sport- and sporty- bikes put it in park and smoke a cigarette when they come to a corner.

All that HP, brakes, and traction and no earthly idea how to use it.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2011, 11:23:35 PM »
But I'm sure it looks mahvelous!

I washed my XLH once a year whether it needed it or not.  The combination of dirt and magnetic tank bag marked up the gastank pretty bad--spent quite a few miles off the pavement.

Another fun road...

Camping in Baja...

rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline TXIN

• H-Minus
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2011, 12:28:50 AM »
Never forget that it is far more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.
Squeee!

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2011, 01:29:12 AM »
Never forget that it is far more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Ya know what I'd be doing with a C-14?

150+ on Hwy 69, until I got caught.

Best thing about riding off the pavement?  No @#$% cops.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2011, 06:45:50 AM »
Camping in Baja...

Thread hijack....RATTLERS & SCORPIONS & TARANTULAS OH MY!!, RATTLERS & SCORPIONS & TARANTULAS OH MY!!, RATTLERS & SCORPIONS & TARANTULAS OH MY!! :yikes:
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2011, 07:37:24 AM »
I guess some people like motorcycles... and some people like to complain. I like motorcycles.  ;D

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Of course theres idiots and asshats in every section of soceity, but as a whole most riders are cool.
Me and my #1 riding partner have differences: he's S&W, I Colt. No problems just respect for differences.
Could ya imagine everyone being like me? :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: Talk about social distortion  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Have ya looked at craigslist lately?  Most bikes have low mileage for their years, except ours right ;) ;) ;)
"Lighten up Francis"   :stirpot:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2011, 07:51:30 AM »
I washed my XLH once a year whether it needed it or not. 

Man after me own heart!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2011, 11:23:48 AM »
I washed my XLH once a year whether it needed it or not.  The combination of dirt and magnetic tank bag marked up the gastank pretty bad--spent quite a few miles off the pavement.

Bronson, is that you?

Offline Mr. Green Genes

« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2011, 12:41:09 PM »
I have a couple of friends which I have had since we were all 14 yrs. old and riding bikes together.  We all have bikes today.  They have Goldwings, I am currently riding  a Voyager.  Sometimes we still ride somewhere together and sometimes we are joined by or join up with other friends & acquaintances we've acquired over the years.  Harleys seem to be abundant among these acquaintances.  These guys do not trailer their bikes and they don't ride slow, but they do have some strange riding habits.  A couple of observations...,
1. If you are going on a ride with 3 Harleys, you can bet one of them is going to break down.  Which explains,
2. A chase vehicle &
3. Harley riders seem to have their mechanic's phone number on speed dial in their cell phones.
4. They ride 90mph down the highway in formation and stop at every Harley shop to buy a T-Shirt.
5. They stop often.

On the most recent ride, we left at intermittent times on Thursday and Friday, but all met up at a campsite by Friday evening for a rally.  On Saturday we were all going to ride the mountain roads, but 1st we had to go to the Harley shop, which was 40 miles away, to buy T-shirts, and neon, and do-rags (swag).  Having already gone to "the Harley shop" on Friday, me and 1 of my Goldwing buddies decided that we would hang around camp, eat breakfast, and meet everyone at the 1st gas station East of the Harley shop in about 2 hours.  East was the planned exit route and there were 10'000 people at the Harley shop and I did not need to experience it twice.

So, at about noon, me and my friend roll past the Harley shop traffic jamb and into the 1st Quicky Mart East.  I pull out my cell phone and call my other Goldwing buddy, who was hanging with the Friday Harley arrivals at the Harley shop and he starts telling me the good news/bad news.  1 of the Harleys was broke down, still about 30 miles from the Harley shop and 1 of the other Harley riders has discovered threads showing on his back tire and decided now was a good time to buy a tire, since he was at the Harley shop.  The good news was the guy buying the tire was only 2 bikes away from getting his new tire mounted.  Since it was only about 100 yards from the Harley shop, there was a lot to see at the Quicky Mart and there was food & drink so 2 hours went by relatively quick.  When I called my Buddy the 2nd time the Harley guy was next in line and it was only going to be  about another 45 minutes.  We were making plans to abandon the Harley bunch.  As I see it, once you have seen your Harley riding companion safely to the Harley shop, you have fulfilled all obligations.  On the 3rd phone call, after 3 or 4 hours at the Quicky Mart,
I was told that the Harley shop did have the guys bike up on a lift with the back end off and although there was not anyone in site, they were indeed working on it.  Me and my 2 Goldwing buddies departed for the mountain roads with about 3 hours left in the day before the deer come out.

We rode around for awhile, stopped & had dinner, fueled our bikes up and got back to camp about 10pm.  We were riding home the next morning.  The Harley riders straggled in from the bar scene over the next 6-7 hours.  We all got up the next morning, packed up the camping gear and assembled the caravan, now about 10+ bikes, everything except me and my 2 Goldwing buddies being Harleys.  I thought I would be able to tolerate the 400 mile ride back to Texas if I could just hang back about 1/2 a mile, but as we pulled out of camp that plan did not materialize.  I found myself in the middle of a loud pipe traffic jamb, potato potatoing itself up the road followed by the wives in the chase vehicle.  Fortunately, most of the Harley riders had not had the presence of mind to fuel up the night before so we had to stop at the 1st gas station.  That is where I bid them farewell.

My explanation was that it required far too much concentration for me to ride in a group that size, too much like traffic, and I hope you all understand.  And that is the truth.  I think you could say that I have had The Harley Experience and saved $50,000. 

Offline TXIN

• H-Minus
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2011, 03:07:16 PM »
I had a Sportster. I loved the bike, but I rode it too much to be accepted at the local bar. :)
Squeee!

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2011, 11:08:28 PM »
<snip>
My explanation was that it required far too much concentration for me to ride in a group that size, too much like traffic, and I hope you all understand.  And that is the truth.  I think you could say that I have had The Harley Experience and saved $50,000. 
Great story.  Reminds me of several different rides.  Normally, my "group rides" are 2-5 riders, friends who have ridden together for a bit.  On occasion the group gets expanded.  With groups of 8-12 and overnight rides, it seems that stuff like that is inevitable.   :)  Thanks for bringing back some fond memories.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2011, 02:03:38 PM »

36 with "Super Thunder Garage Dog God Power Pipes..."
Past: XR650R, 250 Ninjette.
Present: None...
Next: C-14, '08-09 Speed Triple, and/or Sprint GT.

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2011, 04:38:15 PM »
In my defense I wouldn't know the difference between a XLH PLH ZLH POS or what ever the model of HD your were talking about.
If you like Harley Davidson products, good for you. I would think you would have enough common sense not to bash a Kawasaki product on a Kawasaki forum.

You did notice this was a Concours forum right?  ::)

Yeah, I own one of those too.
Sorry for your ignorance, I guess.
I was a n00b like you 20 years ago.
But that was 20 years ago.
Happy trails.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2011, 04:40:30 PM »
I had a Sportster. I loved the bike, but I rode it too much to be accepted at the local bar. :)

Me & you both.   8)
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2011, 04:51:22 PM »
I grew up riding ironhead Sporters and airhead Beemers. The C14 is the first "modern" fuel injected watercooled bike I've owned. Still tinker with the airheads. Been thinking about building another sporty when I can stand another project.

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2011, 04:53:27 PM »
36 with "Super Thunder Garage Dog God Power Pipes..."
No, those were modified stock headpipes with slip-ons.  On the rigid XLs, the stockers with slip-ons can be made to flow better than anything except for the supertrapp 2-2 high pipes.
Just about any cruiser (of any make) reaps hp benefits from aftermarket pipes because they simply don't have the volume to get good flow and still meet noise regs.
The one I can think of off the top of my head that doesn't is the Road Star Warrior, which instead has an ugly garbage can hanging off the right side.
Simple physics--if you want flow but not noise, you need volume.  High flow, low volume=lots of noise.

Don't you run modified stock exhaust on your bikes?

Did you modify your baffles to get more power?
Or did you have your mechanic do it because he said it would sound cool?
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red