Author Topic: Valve Adjustment  (Read 25273 times)

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
Re: Valve Adjustment
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2012, 03:11:20 PM »
you sir are the reason why I will never buy a used motorcycle !
I tend to agree with your assessment of the inherent danger when purchasing any used vehicle.  However, I would surely buy one from you or ZG, another meticulous member of this forum.  I see that you're a newly registered member.  Your first post indicates that you take good care of your possessions and therefore have garnered considerable knowledge and skills along the way.  That you can think and have the ability to convey your thoughts to paper in an articulate manner.  You're most welcome here as you have given every indication that your contributions will be of benefit to those who have yet to accumulate the knowledge and abilities they seek.
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2012, 03:21:32 PM »
Well spoken, Bud.

Offline Pepsi Supplier

• Learn to ride, it is your best investment.
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2012, 05:17:33 PM »
 There are a few things motorcycle I am pretty animate about ;

riding skills

maintenance

I have been told over the years the less of one you have the more of the other is needed. But I feel you need 100% of both to really be at a point to become a safe, proficient and skilled rider.

Oh and thanks, but I rarely ever sell any of my bikes.

Offline elektradw

• 21st Century Crusade
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2012, 09:35:39 AM »
Here is a post from the COG. If anyone here thinks they need to dive into their engine and tackle the valve train beware! Just because a contributor has a ton of postings does NOT make him qualified to promote owners going into their engines in order to  check or adjust valves. I'm sure that this poor soul has regretted taking their advise. Spending the money to have it done at a dealership is foolish but less risky then doing it yourself.  I have owned and worked on motorcycles for over 40 years and still say the best advise is "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Your bike to do what you want with it and good luck to all. BTW Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Hard Starting 2011
« on: December 06, 2012, 08:45:27 PM »
I have been having problems starting my 2011 C14. The trouble started about the time I changed the plugs and checked the valve clearances at 15K miles back in August. The valves checked out within tolerance so none of them were adjusted.  In the summer it usually started on the second or third try after giving it a little bit of gas. Now that the temps are lower here in Iowa the problem has gotten much worse.  In the past 2 weeks it has failed to start on two occasions. Both times I tried until the battery was dead.  After charging the battery overnight each time it started the next morning on the fourth or fifth try.  I am to the point now where I am afraid to stop anywhere for fear of it not starting back up.  I thought the problem may have been the new plugs so I put the original plugs back in but that changed nothing.  This past weekend I replaced all four stick coils hoping that may have been the problem but it is still the same. The problem is only with starting, the bike runs fine once it is started. Power and gas mileage are the same as before.  I had the dealer look at it in October when I had the rear brake recall done but it started right up for them so they did not investigate any further.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I attached a sound clip from the morning of 12/5 in my garage at about 60 degrees.  You can barely here the sputtering and back fire.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 11:38:33 AM by elektradw »
'68 Hoda 305 Dream, '76 Triumph Bonneville,  '85 BMW K100, '85 BMW K100 Turbo, '95 HD Heritage, '97 HD Dresser, '99HD Roadking, '01 HD Dynaglide, '08 C14, '11 C14

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2012, 09:45:38 AM »
Here is a post from the COG. If anyone here thinks they need to follow Callaghan's or Man of Blues advise beware! Just because they have a ton of postings does NOT make them qualified to promote owners going into their engines in order to  check or adjust valves. I'm sure that this poor soul has regretted taking their advise. Spending the money to have it done at a dealership is foolish but less risky then doing it yourself.  I have owned and worked on motorcycles for over 40 years and still say the best advise is "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Your bike to do what you want with it and good luck to all. BTW Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.
How do you know if they are out of tolerance if you don't check. Do you let the brakes become metal on metal before you change them? No, you check them for wear periodically. The valve clearance check it a routine maintenance item that does need to be done. Some people should let their dealership do the work, but there are plenty of people with the skill and knowledge to do it themselves without having any issues with.
You also have a happy holiday season.

Offline Pepsi Supplier

« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2012, 11:20:12 AM »
Here is a post from the COG. If anyone here thinks they need to follow Callaghan's or Man of Blues advise beware! Just because they have a ton of postings does NOT make them qualified to promote owners going into their engines in order to  check or adjust valves. I'm sure that this poor soul has regretted taking their advise. Spending the money to have it done at a dealership is foolish but less risky then doing it yourself.  I have owned and worked on motorcycles for over 40 years and still say the best advise is "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Your bike to do what you want with it and good luck to all. BTW Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Hard Starting 2011
« on: December 06, 2012, 08:45:27 PM »
I have been having problems starting my 2011 C14. The trouble started about the time I changed the plugs and checked the valve clearances at 15K miles back in August. The valves checked out within tolerance so none of them were adjusted.  In the summer it usually started on the second or third try after giving it a little bit of gas. Now that the temps are lower here in Iowa the problem has gotten much worse.  In the past 2 weeks it has failed to start on two occasions. Both times I tried until the battery was dead.  After charging the battery overnight each time it started the next morning on the fourth or fifth try.  I am to the point now where I am afraid to stop anywhere for fear of it not starting back up.  I thought the problem may have been the new plugs so I put the original plugs back in but that changed nothing.  This past weekend I replaced all four stick coils hoping that may have been the problem but it is still the same. The problem is only with starting, the bike runs fine once it is started. Power and gas mileage are the same as before.  I had the dealer look at it in October when I had the rear brake recall done but it started right up for them so they did not investigate any further.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I attached a sound clip from the morning of 12/5 in my garage at about 60 degrees.  You can barely here the sputtering and back fire.

So this posting proves what? The owner likley did something wrong, but it sure wasn't adjusting the valves since he states he didn't adjust any.

Your answer sure appears to be "leave it all alone, it is all fine, until it isn't", which tells me you have a run it into the ground and dispose of it type of attitude.

That message is simply foolishness.
 I do agree some people are far better off to leave their equipments maintenance and care to the professionals, but the equipment still requires maintenance. The C14 certainly isn't the easiest bike out there to adjust valves on, and there is more to doing maintenance than simply adjusting the valves too. So simply "checking" the valves is only scratching the surface.
 But sticking to valve adjustment suggestions, since that is what this thread is about, those first few valve adjustments are by far the most critical, and they certainly are necessary.

I understand with so many spouting off how "they did not need any adjustment", "all were within spec" and other such rhetoric being rejurgitated all over forums around the world it is easy to get sucked into that mentality. "everything is fine, no need to do anything". The simply fact is everything is not fine and there is plenty of need to do these required maintenances. The fact that some say they have not done them and their bike "runs fine", well I have no doubt it runs, right until it will not, "runs fine" well that is arbitrary and subjective to ones opinion and experience.
 If you bought brand new and the performance and smoothness degraded say 10% over 15,000 miles would you be so sensitive to pick up on this?
 The simple answer is that 99.9% of riders are not, but probably 90+% sure can tell when they get it back, all properly adjusted and running smoothly again and that 10% "instant" improvement is enough to tell a substantial difference. Atleast that has been my experience with hundreds of valve adjustment/tune ups.

This comparison is direct and may be somewhat arbitrary in itself since everyone wears them out differently and uses them differently, but here goes anyways;
 The difference is somewhat similar to as your tires wear, even though 4000 mile tires are not nearly as good as new (100 mile tires, fully scuffed) tires, most don't notice much lack of performance there, right up until they are near bald. Which is akin to when the valves are hung open. You then spoon on some new skins and walla, instantly better feeling and handling bike.

Anyways, read the service manual maintenance chart and use it as a guide, I will give you that some bikes simply require more while others require less based much on how and where the bike is ridden. The bike lollygagged around on the interstate at 4500 rpms for most of its life simply won't wear parts as fast as the bike that sees bursts to 10,000rpm+ and some far more spirited riding in the mountains or canyons

Offline elektradw

• 21st Century Crusade
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2012, 11:23:23 AM »
Yes you are correct. There ARE those with the skills, patience, tools, and time to do this job correctly and as frequently as they desire. Some will just spend the money and take it to a dealership. Whatever works for you, as I am not advocating anyone to follow my reasoning if they are uncomfortable. However, I have read posts where owners will attempt this procedure because of advise taken and get in way over their heads. The chance for a mistake is way to great for anyone but a pro to attempt changing shims. Most Concours owners are NOT qualified to do this kind of maintenance, especially if it is not necessary. Somewhere during the procedure it is so easy to forget or neglect something. Talk of valves being out of spec appears to be arbitrary and done with no apparent symptoms. Even if a valve is found to be a couple of thousandths off the center line there is NO need to change shims. Again every owner has to make a decision on this and I add my two cents in for the sake of dialogue, no one has to take my advise literally. There are risks to everything in life. IMHO
'68 Hoda 305 Dream, '76 Triumph Bonneville,  '85 BMW K100, '85 BMW K100 Turbo, '95 HD Heritage, '97 HD Dresser, '99HD Roadking, '01 HD Dynaglide, '08 C14, '11 C14

Offline Pepsi Supplier

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2012, 11:27:47 AM »
Yes you are correct. There ARE those with the skills, patience, tools, and time to do this job correctly and as frequently as they desire. Some will just spend the money and take it to a dealership. Whatever works for you, as I am not advocating anyone to follow my reasoning if they are uncomfortable. However, I have read posts where owners will attempt this procedure because of advise taken and get in way over their heads. The chance for a mistake is way to great for anyone but a pro to attempt changing shims. Most Concours owners are NOT qualified to do this kind of maintenance, especially if it is not necessary. IMHO

Now this post I agree with, mostly.

The underlying tone of your previous posts has been however, "No need to do anything, it'll be fine". Perhaps not even so underlying.
 To me that wreaks of poor advice and a completely wrong message to send, intentionally or not.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2012, 11:39:14 AM »
I tend to agree with your assessment of the inherent danger when purchasing any used vehicle.  However, I would surely buy one from you or ZG, another meticulous member of this forum. 

:)   :chugbeer:

Offline BudCallaghan

« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2012, 11:45:53 AM »
Now this post I agree with, mostly.

The underlying tone of your previous posts has been however, "No need to do anything, it'll be fine". Perhaps not even so underlying.
 To me that wreaks of poor advice and a completely wrong message to send, intentionally or not.
Save your energy Pepsi, you're wasting it as neither you or anyone else can accomplish everything.  There's a popular phrase repeated frequently, here it is again, "You can't fix stupid".

Offline texrider

« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2012, 01:01:22 PM »
If I found one or more at the low clearance limit, I'd button it back up. If I had to pull the cams, they would all go back to the fat and happy side of 'good', even if I had to buy every shim new.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2012, 02:41:43 PM »
Their have been lengthy discussions on thus topic on this forum.
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=7084.msg84047#msg84047

Since the internet has now been around a long time I would imagine most sophisticated folks will realize that most of the information that is posted contains a fair amount of opinion based on their  anecdotal experience. I doubt that anyone of our sophisticated members would foolishly take someone's opinion about valve checks etc. as gospel without doing a fair amount of research and thinking for themselves. I like to see alternative opinions about stuff, it causes me to research things more intensely. I read elecktradw as his opinion about his stuff, albeit somewhat passionate. But as an informed, sophisticated Concours forum member and owner, not the gospel truth.

I too believe in maintenance. You function in life based on you comfort threshold and knowledge. If you consistently bite off more than you can chew...your gonna puke! Lets take a poll.

I think we need to have a poll who will and will not check their valves. I believe a poll existed on the forum precrash, I could not find a current poll.
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline BudCallaghan

« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2012, 08:19:18 PM »
Their have been lengthy discussions on thus topic on this forum.
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=7084.msg84047#msg84047
Since the internet has now been around a long time I would imagine most sophisticated folks will realize that most of the information that is posted contains a fair amount of opinion based on their  anecdotal experience. I doubt that anyone of our sophisticated members would foolishly take someone's opinion about valve checks etc. as gospel without doing a fair amount of research and thinking for themselves. I like to see alternative opinions about stuff, it causes me to research things more intensely. I read elecktradw as his opinion about his stuff, albeit somewhat passionate. But as an informed, sophisticated Concours forum member and owner, not the gospel truth.

I too believe in maintenance. You function in life based on you comfort threshold and knowledge. If you consistently bite off more than you can chew...your gonna puke! Lets take a poll.

I think we need to have a poll who will and will not check their valves. I believe a poll existed on the forum precrash, I could not find a current poll.
If we actually took a poll of the Concours owners or owners of all motorcycles for that matter, I would offer a conservative estimate that better than 95% would either do the necessary maintenance or pay to have it done.  As for the C-14 valve maintenance I must assume that fewer of the owners would do it themselves because of the complexity of the task, but the 95+% estimate of someone doing it would hold sway.  There are people who don't keep their motorcycles for more than a couple of years and I assume that they may opt to leave things as they are knowing that they will be selling any and all potential problems to the new owner. 

On occasion we encounter the goof who insists that the factory's maintenance recommendations are simply propaganda to line the coffers of the various dealers with gold.  There are also those among the population who refuse to believe that Mr. Hitler's influence led to the slaughter of a few million Jewish people.  We also have some erstwhile members of our society who will admit that the Earth is round, perhaps as a pancake is round, but it surely can't be a sphere, hence the Flat Earth Society actually exists and has members.   

As for me, I have done all of my own maintenance on every vehicle I have ever owned with but two exceptions.  I have never owned an alignment rack so wheel alignment is a job I hire others to do.  Except for a twenty year period when a friend of mine had an alignment rack that I was able to use.  The other task was to program my Kawasaki's new fob when I lost one of mine.  There is a damn good reason I do it all myself.  I simply don't trust anyone else to apply the effort necessary to do any given task as well as it can be done.  After all, it is my ass on the line when I either ride or drive any of my vehicles and I prefer to employ my own standards to best insure its safety.  A time clock, impatient boss, heavy workload or the day of the week for that matter have no influence on my endeavors.  Just as you will never find spelling or grammatical errors in any of the posts I have written, I take the time and effort to apply my own high standards to everything I do.  Sadly, most folks do not.     

Offline elektradw

• 21st Century Crusade
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2012, 01:52:58 PM »
Wow Bud you are just the expert in all things Concours. Must be the 115 posts that makes you the guru and know it all. The simple fact is I can out wrench you any day of the week and I still would be RELUCTANT to dive into the valve train without any more reason than it says so in the manual. It also says to change spark plugs every 7,500 miles. Geeze the last time I checked the OEM NGK plugs are rated for 100,000 miles. I, for one, don't believe everything I read. However,  like you, I would not trust this work to any dealership mechanic. Some owners have no choice and will risk the possible consequences of a less than qualified tech doing the work. As a retired LVMPD officer I have access to a motorcycle tech that works for the department and moonlights on the side. He races Kawasakis and builds race engines. This is someone I would trust to do it right, and he is of the same opinion as me: if it aint broke dont fix it. I would surly trust his knowledge over yours on this matter. Maintenance like filters, oil, tires, brakes, coolant, hoses, batteries, ect. are one thing but you will never convince me of a valve adjust until I witness some symptoms that would warrant further investigation. Sorry if this offends you, however,  this is not a courtroom and the last time I checked this forum was open to opinions and discussion regardless of the topic and position. I don't oppose your viewpoint, as it suits you well, and others that might subscribe to your methods. Some of us just have a different perspective, however, this constant bashing is a real turn off. State your position and move on. Your opinion only carries so much weight before the bubble bursts. You are the only one that considers yourself an expert.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2012, 02:59:51 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2012, 04:07:46 PM »
  I plan on getting the maintenance video for the C14.  I am not looking forward to doing a valve adjustment mainly because I am not getting any younger.  I as well as many others have a disproportionate learning curve, making the simple things harder to do the first time.    I grew to love the valve adjustments on my air head BMW (ZEN and the art of motorcycle maintenance) and I found some tricks to get the valve train  to sound like a sewing machine, you could hear the valve train on those bikes. 
  I think this is how I remember the setting procedure, taken from a race tech:   instead of setting the valves at top dead center do this-- when the exhaust valve begins to open set the intake, when the intake begins to close set the exhaust.  I believe this is correct and it was recommended to set at the upper limit.  The race tech indicated cam manufacturers build a 'clearance ramp' in the cam before the lobe opening and very often that ramp does not always match from valve to valve leading to uneven settings. I cannot verify that this is still a viable  approach but produced great results in the past on older bikes.
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2012, 04:15:27 PM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline JamminJere

« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2012, 07:36:20 AM »
Wow.. I haven't been around the forum lately, and I see this thread called "Valve Adjustment', and its 6 pages long!  My first impression was,  Man it looks like someone must be having a problem doing their adjustment. I hope they didn't get their cam indexing wrong and hit a valve or maybe bust a cam sensor or something...

Then I read thru this mess and see that not one wrench has been spun on the OP's bike.. All just back and forth about whether it needs to be done or not. Just internet dick swinging and why their ideals on valve adjustment are the correct ones and what makes the world right for them.

Really?

6 pages

Sigh... I miss the old forum

JJ
There really isn't much different between the masses... and them asses..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2012, 08:13:34 AM »
As do I....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2012, 07:31:31 PM »
These parts have to come off:

The left side looks mean:

The right side is not mo' betta':

With a bit of patience, organization maybe Fred's videos... a valve inspection ain't so bad.

YMMV.