Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 871290 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #2920 on: November 23, 2017, 08:48:14 PM »
When I set off for the left coast in '11, I brought all my heated gear except heated socks. It was 6 June (typically a pretty good date for American success) and I figured why in the world would I need heated socks. Then I rode through the mountains of Idaho and later Snoqualmie pass in WA, in the rain, with the temps. hovering around 33.5 and I thought my feet were going to snap off. So I learned that lesson: always bring all the gear you probably do not even need 'cause if you truly do not need it, it can ride in a saddle bag on on top of a luggage rack. But if you do need it, it will do you no good 2,500 + miles behind you :-( 

BTW- I bought heated sole inserts for my riding boots and they live there all year along; all I have to do is plug them into my heated pants for comfort. As Yakov Smirnoff said: "What a country!".

Brian

To Richmond was around 34F.  Coming HOME from Richmond.... 80% between 25F and 32F.... now that is pretty cold.  Was generally OK, but vest/seat/grips maxed out around 28F.    I forgot to wear acrylic socks, so my toes were too cold.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2921 on: November 23, 2017, 09:00:23 PM »
Thankfully it is only a 2.5 hour trip, so I can tolerate the extreme drops for short periods as long as the vest can keep my core temperature up.   The dips to 25F were few, the 80% average was probably around 30F, and that would have been fine had I brought the acrylic socks and perhaps winter gloves (which I hate, because I feel out of control).  If I had heated pants (don't bother recommending, apparently nothing will fit me) instead of thermal longs + jeans + heavy leather chaps, I could probably manage 25F continuously without much issue.

Surprisingly, the worst problem I have with riding in very cold temps is my nose sometimes starting to run :)

Oh, I shouldn't have said the seat maxed out- it doesn't.  It is tied to the vest controller circuit so not individually controlled.  When the vest is maxed, the seat sometimes gets so hot it is quite uncomfortable.   I need to re-balance it a bit more, which is annoying difficult.  Yes, you can say "I am in the hot seat".
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2922 on: November 23, 2017, 09:15:59 PM »
Ah, Max: I have the fix for a runny nose!

Take a Kleenex (brand name.... a facial tissue), tear it in half, roll both halves into a tube and stuff them up your nostrils. Works like a charm! At some point, they get heavy and start to displace but that is no problem for one with 1) another Kleenex and 2) a modular helmet: raise the face plate of the helmet, face side of road and sneeze. Then roll up next Kleenex, ripped into halves, and re- insert. Repeat as needed. Works fantastic!

The far bigger problem is to keep all the body parts up to temp. for the whole ride. My wife and I use the following with great success: a Gerbing heated jacket liner under a winter, armored riding coat (not a jacket, you will need the longer waist length). Gerbing outer heated pants over jeans (I understand these are no longer available). Gerbing heated socks or heated boot insoles: the socks provide more heat but the insoles work well enough and are both more comfortable and much easier to put on. My wife wears the socks, I wear the insoles. (I also have the heated socks but find them problematic because the wires bunch up and require 're- stringing' throughout the weave of the sock). Heavy heated Gerbing gloves: do NOT get sucked into any type of 'light weight' or 'flexible' gloves. Winter, heated gloves need to be heavy and unfortunately cumbersome. I also have Gerbing heated glove liners, which are great under Aerostich triple digit glove covers but only down to about 30F. After that, go over to full Gerbing heated gloves (the 'Classic' models rather than the newer, thinner, 'Mary Jane Tinklepants' versions which basically suck).

To be truly comfortable, not tolerable, in cold weather, one must really prepare and make modifications as needed. Snowmobile equipment is ideal but it is so heavy and bulky that it hinders my riding a motorcycle. Heated gear is the way to go IMO, although I have zero experience with the 'new' Gerbing in the southeast US: all of my equipment came from the original Gerbing in WA, and was guaranteed for life. Unfortunately, that turned out to be the life of the original company, not the equipment.

Carefully outfit yourself and you can ride not only in tolerance but in true comfort down into the 20's F.

Brian

Thankfully it is only a 2.5 hour trip, so I can tolerate the extreme drops for short periods as long as the vest can keep my core temperature up.   The dips to 25F were few, the 80% average was probably around 30F, and that would have been fine had I brought the acrylic socks and perhaps winter gloves (which I hate, because I feel out of control).  If I had heated pants (don't bother recommending, apparently nothing will fit me) instead of thermal longs + jeans + heavy leather chaps, I could probably manage 25F continuously without much issue.

Surprisingly, the worst problem I have with riding in very cold temps is my nose sometimes starting to run :)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #2923 on: November 25, 2017, 08:44:08 PM »
Ah, Max: I have the fix for a runny nose!

Take a Kleenex (brand name.... a facial tissue), tear it in half, roll both halves into a tube and stuff them up your nostrils. Works like a charm! At some point, they get heavy and start to displace but that is no problem for one with 1) another Kleenex and 2) a modular helmet: raise the face plate of the helmet, face side of road and sneeze. Then roll up next Kleenex, ripped into halves, and re- insert. Repeat as needed. Works fantastic!

The far bigger problem is to keep all the body parts up to temp. for the whole ride. My wife and I use the following with great success: a Gerbing heated jacket liner under a winter, armored riding coat (not a jacket, you will need the longer waist length). Gerbing outer heated pants over jeans (I understand these are no longer available). Gerbing heated socks or heated boot insoles: the socks provide more heat but the insoles work well enough and are both more comfortable and much easier to put on. My wife wears the socks, I wear the insoles. (I also have the heated socks but find them problematic because the wires bunch up and require 're- stringing' throughout the weave of the sock). Heavy heated Gerbing gloves: do NOT get sucked into any type of 'light weight' or 'flexible' gloves. Winter, heated gloves need to be heavy and unfortunately cumbersome. I also have Gerbing heated glove liners, which are great under Aerostich triple digit glove covers but only down to about 30F. After that, go over to full Gerbing heated gloves (the 'Classic' models rather than the newer, thinner, 'Mary Jane Tinklepants' versions which basically suck).

To be truly comfortable, not tolerable, in cold weather, one must really prepare and make modifications as needed. Snowmobile equipment is ideal but it is so heavy and bulky that it hinders my riding a motorcycle. Heated gear is the way to go IMO, although I have zero experience with the 'new' Gerbing in the southeast US: all of my equipment came from the original Gerbing in WA, and was guaranteed for life. Unfortunately, that turned out to be the life of the original company, not the equipment.

Carefully outfit yourself and you can ride not only in tolerance but in true comfort down into the 20's F.

Brian

Sounds too much like a lot of effort and work.. Might be easier (but not cheaper) to move to California.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2924 on: November 26, 2017, 09:35:25 AM »
Sounds too much like a lot of effort and work..

It *is* a lot of work.  Takes forever to get dressed properly with all the layers and crap.  When done, I feel like I can barely move.  And now with no Garmin Zumo, I have to muck around with mounting a phone every time, plugging it in, getting into Auto, connecting to the Sena, etc.  But hey, gotta ride!

Might be easier (but not cheaper) to move to California.

The weather might be nice there, but I would not be able to tolerate the political climate.  And no amount of clothing and gear will change THAT :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2925 on: November 26, 2017, 10:18:04 AM »
Yeah, I do not think that is going to happen anytime soon (California).

And riding a motorcycle in cold weather, at least for more than 30 seconds, does require a lot of effort and work to get ready and the gear is expensive. And beyond that, once you are about 3/4 geared up, you HAVE to go outside or you will burst into flames inside a heated building. I normally leave my jacket off when walking from the house to the garage in an effort not to overheat, even down in the 20's F. But the gear does allow a person to ride all year in any environment where the snow is not measured in feet, and it is actually very pleasant and comfortable.

Brian

Sounds too much like a lot of effort and work.. Might be easier (but not cheaper) to move to California.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #2926 on: November 26, 2017, 12:56:03 PM »
It *is* a lot of work.  Takes forever to get dressed properly with all the layers and crap.  When done, I feel like I can barely move.  And now with no Garmin Zumo, I have to muck around with mounting a phone every time, plugging it in, getting into Auto, connecting to the Sena, etc.  But hey, gotta ride!

The weather might be nice there, but I would not be able to tolerate the political climate.  And no amount of clothing and gear will change THAT :)

I am fortunate enough to have ridden in almost every state with my company picking up the tab. This year has been very eventful in that I was in Houston for Hurricane Harvey and October back in NorCal Sonoma/Napa for the wine country fires- disasters everywhere I go it seems. But I will say that I know why 40 million documented (and who knows how many are really here) put up with the fires, mud slides, earthquakes, taxes, Nancy Pelosi, LBGTQIA and sometimes Y, drought, Arnold, Hollywood jerks, Justin Beiber, sanctuary cities, homeless people, Los Angeles, illegal aliens, unreal traffic, air pollution, Berkely University- it's the freakin' best place in the world to ride once you head 30-40 miles in from the coastal cities. You can ride all year, split lanes, Yosemite, redwoods, Shasta trinity forest, Sierra Nevadas, Ojai, Alice's Restaurant, Santa Cruz mountains, San Diego, car and bike people everywhere you go, best sushi ever in San Fran, wine, surf in the morning and ski in the afternoon, 'nuff said- did I mention you can ride all year? I rode for 40 years on the East coast and nothing compares to ripping thru the Redwoods and canyons all year long on a C-14.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2927 on: November 27, 2017, 11:02:31 AM »
I am fortunate enough to have ridden in almost every state with my company picking up the tab. This year has been very eventful in that I was in Houston for Hurricane Harvey and October back in NorCal Sonoma/Napa for the wine country fires- disasters everywhere I go it seems. But I will say that I know why 40 million documented (and who knows how many are really here) put up with the fires, mud slides, earthquakes, taxes, Nancy Pelosi, LBGTQIA and sometimes Y, drought, Arnold, Hollywood jerks, Justin Beiber, sanctuary cities, homeless people, Los Angeles, illegal aliens, unreal traffic, air pollution, Berkely University- it's the freakin' best place in the world to ride once you head 30-40 miles in from the coastal cities. You can ride all year, split lanes, Yosemite, redwoods, Shasta trinity forest, Sierra Nevadas, Ojai, Alice's Restaurant, Santa Cruz mountains, San Diego, car and bike people everywhere you go, best sushi ever in San Fran, wine, surf in the morning and ski in the afternoon, 'nuff said- did I mention you can ride all year? I rode for 40 years on the East coast and nothing compares to ripping thru the Redwoods and canyons all year long on a C-14.

Justin Bieber is the deal breaker for me  ;D

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #2928 on: November 27, 2017, 02:41:12 PM »

"car and bike people everywhere you go"

This is a positive?  ???

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #2929 on: November 27, 2017, 07:50:19 PM »
"car and bike people everywhere you go"

This is a positive?  ???

It's a positive compared to most states where car and bike enthusiasts are looked upon with a jaundiced eye. I have always received more compliments on my C-14 in California than anywhere else, and you see vintage Porsches, Mercedes and bikes being restored and ridden all over the place. I don't live full time here, and I haven't found Nirvana yet, but I always enjoy going back to NorCal for the winters and gear heads.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #2930 on: November 27, 2017, 08:02:33 PM »
Justin Bieber is the deal breaker for me  ;D

Ha,ha Rhino- what a fecalhead he is- my kids tell me that the boomers had the best tunes in the 60's and 70's with the British Invasion, Dylan, Byrds, Simon & Garfarkle, Motown, Petty, etc, etc. I don't argue that fact.

Offline tonedeaf1

« Reply #2931 on: November 27, 2017, 09:18:11 PM »
Well, sadly I cleaned the bike up and put it to bed for the winter. This marks the 50th year I have, in one way or another, put a motorcycle away for the winter. In that time I have gone from a tarp thrown over the bike to a heated garage as my motorcycle habits kept of with my advancing economic status. Not to fret though as I can now ski in some of the best skiing on the planet as well as flying in cold, clear, see-for-ever blue skies when the clouds are not replenishing the slopes.

Jeez, does my life suck!!!

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #2932 on: November 27, 2017, 09:28:27 PM »
Well, sadly I cleaned the bike up and put it to bed for the winter. This marks the 50th year I have, in one way or another, put a motorcycle away for the winter. In that time I have gone from a tarp thrown over the bike to a heated garage as my motorcycle habits kept of with my advancing economic status. Not to fret though as I can now ski in some of the best skiing on the planet as well as flying in cold, clear, see-for-ever blue skies when the clouds are not replenishing the slopes.

Jeez, does my life suck!!!

Denver?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2933 on: November 28, 2017, 07:07:09 AM »
Denver?

You can find plenty of ridable days all winter long in Denver. Just don't ride west.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2934 on: December 11, 2017, 10:23:43 AM »
Replaced the front rotors.   Then noticed the left fork seal is leaking.   I'm just going to take off both forks and then take them to the dealer to get fixed.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #2935 on: December 12, 2017, 12:52:31 AM »
Replaced the front rotors.   Then noticed the left fork seal is leaking.   I'm just going to take off both forks and then take them to the dealer to get fixed.

I could see that on a Harley, but on your Indian?? Already??! It's from all that rear brakin', isn't it.

:P

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2936 on: December 12, 2017, 06:09:27 AM »
Twit!   Thread name 'What did you do on your Concours today?'.   On my C14, not the Indian.  :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2937 on: December 23, 2017, 02:00:54 PM »
Got the forks out of Dodge.   Will take them to the dealer to have fork seals and new fluid added.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2938 on: December 23, 2017, 02:19:48 PM »
I thought you had a Prius.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2939 on: December 24, 2017, 05:31:38 AM »
It's new battery time. The Connie is hard on a battery, but I will not complain.

My biggest problem is finding time to ride. Working 6-7 days a week and after moving into a new (for us) house and the requisite work that goes with that. The last couple weekends have been agreeable, despite the many projects. Here in central Arkansas, the weather is decent, but that doesn't mean it doesn't rain and make things otherwise unpleasant weather-wise.

I will find a way, but I may need a battery first.

2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90