Author Topic: So I am riding home from work.....  (Read 3291 times)

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
So I am riding home from work.....
« on: March 23, 2014, 09:36:23 PM »
So I am riding home from work. It's a 37 mile long commute on country highways and back roads. It was rough day at the office, lots of **** went sideways we needed to take care of, but we managed like we always do. My mind is wandering, I'm taking in the Scenery and reflecting on the days events also pondering what needs tending on the home front as most of us do. Obviously my war horse is  going to be faster and more agile than my caged counter parts sharing the road with me. With a quick roll on with the throttle I pass different folks at different times. No Squiding, just trying to make it home.  I take this particular turn as I always do. It's a dead straight road that comes to a T with a light at the end.  1/4 mile down the road I see the light is green. If I hurry a bit I can make it and will save the 3 minute wait it normally comes out to. I have a Vehicle in front of me that is plodding along and with a smooth roll on with throttle I over take them and proceed towards the light. Well it turns out the light was a little more stale than anticipated. It turns yellow and three cars come to a stop. Oh well, I pop her in Neutral, and veer towards the right side of my single lane in anticipation for my right turn. I am stopped. Two Seconds later, a mirror brushes my shoulder. The White Vehicle hits (every so slightly) my left mirror and paints a dark line down the side of his vehicle to the passenger door while ever so slightly nudging my bike over off vertical access.
Inside the vehicle is very old man passenger, and a clean cut driver with white hair with a white pencil mustache wearing sunglass. He waves hi with an obvious "**** you" smile and this all happens in an instant.

What would you do?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: So I am riding home from work.....
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 10:27:32 PM »
Did he stop? If not get his plate number and report a hit and run. If he did stop, ask him WTF?

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 10:28:09 PM »
Make a mental note to stay in the left track... all the time.... directly in front of any/all drivers and their mirrors.

Barring that, stop by the quickie store for chips and suds, maybe flowers for the significant other.

Some cagers just get bent. If they have to be in the Conga line, everybody does. No exceptions.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 11:01:48 PM »
Did he stop? If not get his plate number and report a hit and run. If he did stop, ask him WTF?

He did stop, he was in my lane (my space) there was not a turning lane and his truck was partially in the on coming lane. Not to mention He hit me and my bike.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 04:29:23 AM »
What Jon said. Age is no excuse. Would he have rear ended you if if he was not beside you. No Mr. Nice guy when your life is at stake.

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 09:39:52 AM »
What Jon said. Age is no excuse. Would he have rear ended you if if he was not beside you. No Mr. Nice guy when your life is at stake.

There is no excuse because he did it intentionally.  Aparently he was trying to make statement or something. Who knows.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 11:17:41 AM »
Chalk it up to experience. Always stop in the track that prevents people from using part of the shoulder or median to get around you. I saw a video the other day of a guy about to exit the freeway, but in the LH track. Just as he gets to the exit ramp, a truck passed him on the right, using the shoulder for extra space. Almost hit him at speed.

Your options:
1. Take down the license number and report him to the police as a hit and run.
2. Put your bike on the side stand and kick a big dent in his back door.  8) (Really wouldn't recommend that one.)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 06:17:59 PM »
Should have gotten his plate and called the cops.  Not much else you can do, really.
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 12:36:02 PM »
He did stop, he was in my lane (my space) there was not a turning lane and his truck was partially in the on coming lane. Not to mention He hit me and my bike.

By stop, I mean got out of the car and exchanged info. If not it was a hit and run.

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 01:09:59 PM »
By stop, I mean got out of the car and exchanged info. If not it was a hit and run.

You normally exchange information during a road rage incident?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 03:32:00 PM »
You normally exchange information during a road rage incident?

If there is a collision and damage is done, absolutely. Otherwise, it's a hit and run. If no damage then I'd go home and cool off.