Author Topic: Interchangeable parts 2008 C14 with 2010 C14 fairing cowl panels?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Coffee_run

Can 2010 C14 ABS year fairing cowl panels be retrofitted on 2008 C14 ABS frame?
Thanks in advance.
2011 C14 ABS purchased on 12/09/19 with 43k miles. 2007 VRSCDX NightRodSpecial(x2). 2003 VRSCA . 2006 Concours 1000. 80s Superglide. 78Goldwing . Yam1100. Other various small motorcycles...first 1978 Honda XL125 . Honda450 . 78HondaHawk400. ....

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Interchangeable parts 2008 C14 with 2010 C14 fairing cowl panels?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 12:01:01 PM »
Can 2010 C14 ABS year fairing cowl panels be retrofitted on 2008 C14 ABS frame?
Thanks in advance.

Can they? Yes, I'm sure they can be.

Practical?.....Probably not.
It will not be a simple bolt up. There will be more than just plastic involved. There are different shaped foam pieces
involved, the cowling lowers are different as are the side mirrors. Most importantly the fairing stays are different as well.
Except for color code the rear side covers appear identical and easily swap-able.

Now if you have an almost free 2010 model presented to you, say because of a blown engine or trans that makes it a very economical purchase
and if you really really want the newer fairing on your 2008 model then it is doable with considerable part swapping. The frames appear identical
but they do have different part numbers so there may need to be a little adapting here and there. There will be other decisions to make as well. Do you
swap the handle bars so you have heated grips to hook up the grip heater control to? (yep, top covers are different as well)..or do you stay with the original 2008 bars so you
don't end up with orange buttons that don't do anything..you'll need to make the glove box so it opens manually since the '08 ECU doesn't know it's there to unlock..
 ..or do you swap everything including the ECU and Kipass and wiring harness?.....perhaps if using the scenario I've presented here, I think it might be better/easier to just put
 the 2008 engine/trans into the 2010 model.
Best wishes.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 03:57:20 PM »
Having taken it all apart now, I agree with Marty.  I don't think many of the fairings are going to fit the other panels and the mount points below will likely not be the same.  The fit of the panels is amazingly complex and VERY exact.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 09:22:35 PM »
The short answer is yes.

You would need both of the side fairing stays and the brackets that bolt onto the sump.
Then you would need both lowers and their foam inserts, front and centre sections of both side fairings - which also have an inner plastic part - the dash surround parts with the glovebox and the mirror bases.

The mirrors are the same, but the base is different. The 08 glovebox will fit with some modification to the bracket, but is easier to just use the '10 cover and bracket as you'd gain the side glovebox anyway.

Then the plastic shroud across the top of the radiator may need to be changed. I think the ends are different. After that you'll need to figure out a way to unlock the glovebox and wire up the heated grip switch.

I much prefer the style of the 08, but I wanted the toys from a 10. Mine is now essentially a 2010 with 2008 plastic. I had to modify and move some things - mostly the relays on top of the tank, the underside of the glovebox and making a hole for the heated grip switch.

It would be relatively easy to do what you're asking - if you had a donor bike to remove all the parts from. If you had to buy them individually it would be totally uneconomical. [/long answer]

Do you swap the handle bars so you have heated grips to hook up the grip heater control to? (yep, top covers are different as well)..or do you stay with the original 2008 bars so you don't end up with orange buttons that don't do anything..
You can swap the grips without the 2010 switchblock.
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 10:13:02 PM »
The short answer is yes.

The longer answer is "no", but "yes" if you also change the mirrors, inserts, other panels, moving relays, etc :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 03:22:06 PM »
You can swap the grips without the 2010 switchblock.

Good point!