Author Topic: Difficulty shifting this morning  (Read 2648 times)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Difficulty shifting this morning
« on: October 03, 2019, 07:35:06 AM »
I rode in to work today and when I was coming to a stop sign leaving my house and downshifting, it was difficult to get it into 2nd gear from 3rd. Shifted up just fine, but it did it again as I got closer to the highway. Then, as I was waiting for the light to turn, I noticed the RPM's were a little low (bike was in 1st and I had the clutch pulled in). A slight release of the clutch killed the engine. Re-started and it took off fine and I had no issues the rest of the ride.

I have had times in the past where even with the clutch lever pulled all the way back, the engine is still catching the gears slightly (clutch plates grabbing). The clutch engagement is right at the beginning of the lever pull and has been the way since I got the bike.

I am close to being due for an oil change. The clutch fluid has been bled and replaced (~2 years ago?).

Thoughts?
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline connie_rider

Re: Difficulty shifting this morning
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 08:17:40 AM »
Sounds to be clutch related, not gear problem.
I would suggest a fresh clutch fluid change.
But, someone recently reported a broken star spring on a C-14.
So, that might be a possibility to consider.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 09:30:37 AM »
In the past, the difficulty shifting has come after a long day of riding and the bike sits overnight. I don't know if that would have anything to do with it, but it seems to go hand-in-hand.

The issue this morning though, seems slightly different as the last ride was just a normal commute ride (45 miles), not a few hundred.

I am at 42,000 miles now. Most miles I have ever put on a bike as the others get sold by around 30k and I move on. I am still very happy with the Concours.
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 05:52:16 PM »
No issues coming home. I will report back if it happens again.
Scott

Offline strum

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 05:27:54 PM »
How old is the bike? how many miles? sounds almost like your clutch slave is sticking.hard to say . I think you should flush the fluid and go from there.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 06:41:25 PM »
2009 with 42k miles on it. Replaced and flushed clutch fluid 10k miles ago.
Scott

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 03:31:22 PM »
Rode the bike in yesterday and had the same issue. With the bike in first, clutch lever pulled all the way to the bar, I hit the starter button and the bike lunged forward and basically stalled. Put the bike in neutral and hit it and it fired right up.

Once I was moving I didn't have any issues. Maybe the slave cylinder as strum says? I have never dealt with an issue like this, so I really don't know.
Scott

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 04:57:20 PM »
My clutch has acted up when the the master had foreign material partially blocking the return bleed hole.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 05:09:23 PM »
My clutch has acted up when the the master had foreign material partially blocking the return bleed hole.
Agreed.. 2 years ago?   That would be the simplest and the first thing to do.. flush and replace all the brake and clutch  lines and look at the color of the old  fluid. It has nothing to do with how many miles. It has to do with time and 2 years  is the recommended maintenance period.  Might also be time for a Master kit. 2009 is over 10 years old now.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 05:58:42 PM »
Thanks guys.
Scott

Offline O.C.

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 01:56:02 AM »
I would also adjust your tick over to around, 1100 RPM  ;)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 06:10:12 AM »
That is a really fast tick :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline O.C.

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 09:05:34 AM »
That is a really fast tick :)

The recommended idle speed is  1050 - 1150 RPM 
  :)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 09:09:52 AM »

The recommended idle speed is  1050 - 1150 RPM 
  :)   

Only time I had an issue with the idle speed was when the clutch was still holding on and slowing it down. Once I get this fixed, it won't be an issue!
Scott

Offline O.C.

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 09:11:44 AM »
Only time I had an issue with the idle speed was when the clutch was still holding on and slowing it down. Once I get this fixed, it won't be an issue!

I hope you get your issue sorted  !   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 03:04:12 PM »
The recommended idle speed is  1050 - 1150 RPM  [/color]  :)

(I was joking on the word "tick" instead of what I presume was meant was "tach" :)  )
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline O.C.

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2019, 01:00:25 AM »
(I was joking on the word "tick" instead of what I presume was meant was "tach" :)  )

;D I prefer Tach to Tick  ;D   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2019, 03:16:56 AM »
Tick-over is the English word used for what y'all colonials refer to as Idle, as in "it's ticking over nicely".
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/tick-over
It's not OC's fault y'all can't speak English!  :rotflmao: :popcorn:

Setting the tick over/idle to 1100rpm should prevent the stalling, but not if you have clutch problems.

It sounds like your clutch is not fully releasing.
This can happen if the plates have been replaced and the stack height was not set correctly.
It can also happen if the slave cylinder is partially seizing or if the oil is too thick.
I've seen this with a friend who used 20W50 in his bike.

1- Never start the bike with it in gear as cold oil will cause drag between the clutch plates and the bike WILL lurch forwards.
2- Always apply the front brake before starting or putting her into 1st gear.
3- Maybe consider using a thinner oil. If you have 10W40 maybe a 5W40 oil will work better, especially if you live in a colder area.
4- Strip, clean, and rebuild the clutch slave cylinder. If it is binding it will not separate the plates sufficiently.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2019, 05:58:25 AM »
Tick-over is the English word used for what y'all colonials refer to as Idle, as in "it's ticking over nicely".

Oh!  Thanks.  Never heard of that before!

It's not OC's fault y'all can't speak English!  :rotflmao: :popcorn:

LOL- Most of us speak English and not British :)  :P

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2019, 06:13:00 AM »
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike