Author Topic: GIVI Top Case Fitment Rack  (Read 7693 times)

Offline 12menzer

GIVI Top Case Fitment Rack
« on: July 14, 2012, 09:40:07 AM »
Hello:  I just purchased a 2009 Concours 14.  I am loving the bike so far.

The previous owner installed a GIVI SRV10 Top Case Fitment Rack on the bike.  Does anyone know how to remove it?  I have no intention of ever mounting a topcase to the bike. 

The bolts on the bottom of the L support bracket just spin when I put a socket on them.  I removed the seat to see if I can get access to the bolt on the other side and I see no way to gain access without removing the computer and whatever else  is in the way.  My neighbor suggested removing the turn signal. 

Any ideas would be helpful.  I looked at the installation instructions and they look fairly complicated so I was not certain what to do.

Thanks!

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
Re: GIVI Top Case Fitment Rack
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 10:28:11 AM »
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 11:25:33 AM by 556ALPHA »

Offline 12menzer

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 03:08:09 PM »
Those instructions look the same, yes. 

Offline 12menzer

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 03:11:13 PM »
The instructions say something about anti-theft caps.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 07:48:27 PM »
Those instructions look the same, yes.

If I'm understanding you, it's the bolt labeled #15 that you need to get out. Let me go look at mine
and I'll get back here in a few...... (we need an emoticon that's standing there tapping a foot.)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 11:17:40 PM by fartymarty »

Offline 12menzer

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 08:36:11 PM »
Thanks.  Yes, number 15 bolt. 

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 10:56:26 PM »
The instructions say something about anti-theft cap(s).
I believe they are referring to the tab that sticks up at the rear of the mounting plate
that the case latches on to and locks to. Not a very good translation in the instructions.
There were no special anti-theft screws or devices when I installed my rack. It was difficult
to install the bolts that you are trying to remove, it was the most difficult part of the install.
I know a lot of people dislike the looks of the SR410, but I like it's utility. I mounted an extra taillight to
it, I lock my Helmet to it, and I do really overload my top case with out problems. Still, I understand
without a top case on it, it looks even worse, so if you are positive about never wanting a top case
then I guess it's got to go. Good luck, try not to destroy it during the removal process,
 as you might be able to resell it.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 11:29:23 PM »
OK, I'm back. Sorry, I couldn't see back there with a light but I'm sure it's an Allen head bolt. I just
can't see it even with a flashlight, to tell you what size it is (6mm?). You'll need to remove the seat, side cases,
the small rear cover (two bolts under the rear of the seat), and the side trim (long diamond shaped body panels on
either side). The side piece removes with one bolt under the seat, another at the rear top, and 3 plastic fasteners on the underside.
The front of it just pulls out from a rubber plug friction fit. The left side has the seat release lock, I just let it dangle when I installed the rack.
It's just too hot in my garage right now for me to do it for more verification.
 Those are the only parts I recall removing for the install. I didn't need to remove the turn signals,
but if you can't get to the top of the bolt with an Allen wrench to hold it, that might be an option.

Sorry, when I started this post, I though I could be of more help.  :(

Edit much later: It turns out that I'm even less help than I thought I was earlier. I finally found the (unofficial non-GIVI)
 supplemental instructions that I'd used to install the SR410 rack. It turns out that the supplemental instructions replace the
#15 bolt with a different bolt.  I'm sure I did that and I just used a hex head bolt instead of a socket head bolt. I'll attach
the supplemental instructions just so you'll know what I'm typing about, however I don't think they will help much with the
diss-assembly problem.

Offline 12menzer

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 10:25:42 AM »
Thanks for the help.  Seems like a project, I wonder how long that will take.  I guess I need to tackle this next weekend.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 01:24:00 AM »
12menzer,
I don't have that mounting plate since I went with Philipintexas's rack, but I can tell from the instructions provided above that it isn't a simple task to get it off the bike. Not to patronize you, but take your time and go carefully, and you might actually be able to sell it on fleabay. But best of all, it's a chance to get to know your new bike a bit better.
Oh, and congrats on your new purchase!  :)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline 12menzer

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 06:16:40 PM »
Thanks Martin.  I think I might just order a case.  I did not realize how easily they can be removed.  When I need it I can put it on in a few seconds.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 10:33:06 PM »
The Givi SR410 is handy for other things besides simply supporting your top case.
I used some car door edge protector trim on the inside edge and a little bit up at the top
outside edge. This is hand pleasing when I grab the rails to pull down to raise the front wheel
when I spin my C14 180 degrees on the Park-n-Move dolly in my garage.

There are two flat spots on the rear of the rails that are perfect for supplemental brake light LED
strips.

Additionally if ones saves their Rostra mounting bracket and mods it to fit inside the helmet strap
buckle,........

....then one can securely padlock their Nolan helmet to the rail. 

There must be other utilitarian uses for the ugly support rack, right?  Do tell.  8)