Author Topic: Reinstalling motorized windshield cables  (Read 1525 times)

Offline cfry

Reinstalling motorized windshield cables
« on: March 24, 2020, 03:21:12 PM »
After reading several threads here I decided to disassemble the motorized windshield to see if the motor was still good or just stuck.  It was stuck and once disassembled the motor works freely as it should.  I've cleaned and lubricated all the pieces and putting it back together.  I'm having a huge challenge getting the cables back on the plastic gear, it's like the cables are short by about an inch.  I'm wondering if any of you have faced this reassembly challenge and if you have any suggestions for getting those cables reconnected. 

Thanks for any help you can give.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Reinstalling motorized windshield cables
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 06:50:38 AM »
I can't say that I've heard of doing that here.  Hopefully someone will chime in.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 09:29:04 AM »
I just looked at the "process" in the FSM.... it's kind of vague, and poorly shown, and thy do make warnings about removing some bolts..

If you don't have an FSM, it's not gonna help, it may just be the cable routings, and the order of which gets slipped in last...   also has to do a lot with the position it was in when removed, down or up?

and which direction you actuated the motor to, when testing...
oh, and which year?

I looked at the '13 FSM...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 01:17:30 PM »
I looked in the SM as well and they seem to treat it as an assembly that's not to be repaired but rather replaced. Might be best to search both forums and see who has worked
on theirs in the past and reach out to them in an email since many have moved on to other bikes and no longer check in here. I hope you took photos as you disassembled it?  ???

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 06:16:40 PM »
I just looked at the "process" in the FSM.... it's kind of vague, and poorly shown

You just defined the factory service manual :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 06:19:12 PM »
I looked in the SM as well and they seem to treat it as an assembly that's not to be repaired but rather replaced.

Might be that, exactly.  Same problem (but worse) I had with the gas cap- has tons of tiny parts, falls apart easily, and the service manual has ZERO information about putting it back together.  Almost as if they just expect you to throw it away and replace it with another whole gas cap, just because you had to lube it once.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 07:35:56 AM »
Almost as if they just expect you to throw it away and replace it with another whole gas cap, just because you had to lube it once.

Well, to be honest, they don't really expect you to do anything with the Service manual. It is written for the dealers service department.
I'm guessing that the gas cap even at it's high price is cheaper to buy than to pay the hourly rate for disassembly and repair, thus the
lack of information. Same for the windshield assembly.

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 03:08:19 PM »
I found this video on YT. Not sure if it helps but take a look see. Seems lately I've been finding some random C14 videos in my feed and this one came up awhile back...

https://youtu.be/n0zK9axWuzc

Note: there are 2 parts. 1st is disassembly and the motor. 2nd part is probably what you're looking for.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 07:08:57 PM »
I found this video on YT. Not sure if it helps but take a look see. Seems lately I've been finding some random C14 videos in my feed and this one came up awhile back...

https://youtu.be/n0zK9axWuzc

Note: there are 2 parts. 1st is disassembly and the motor. 2nd part is probably what you're looking for.

awesome vid... thank you greatly... very fine, even to a point of revealing that most "electrical issues" end up be "mechanical in nature".... I think I'll link those as "tech stickie's" for the wind screen...

I did go back, and capture it all, and posted it here; for future use.. again, thanks robertv  :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :goodpost: :hail:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=24456.msg305298#msg305298

A few points I found to be a bit "touchy";

the vid guy, jumped right in, and began removing bolts, many more than were necessary to remove, to get the complete assembly "removed" from the bike; where it (the assembly) could have been safely dis assembled on a bench, to remove any chance of dropping stuff into the fairing area.. he was lucky, but now I'm sure he would simply remove all the bolts needed, and do that in the future.

second; as we see, the "offending problem" was not the motor, it was the gunk and grit on the slides, that locked everything up. THAT actually could have been remedied, as shown in the FSM for clean/lube of the rails, and in fact IS shown as how to do it, without major removal of the mechanism, and motor.

the reassembly he did, also shows that the assembly actually could have been 'removed" with minimal effort, and worked on, off the bike. Surprising, but nice to know.   

in the end, and I'm betting most cases of the "stuck screen" are all pretty much not a motor failure, but simple dirt, and crud, in the rails...

thanks again greatly for the link...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline O.C.

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 01:25:43 AM »
 :goodpost:   

Reassembly video here    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcp33wXzITU   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 01:05:42 PM »
Best Connie related post I've seen in years. 
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline cfry

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 10:38:11 AM »
Thank you all for your input.  I did get it back together and it is working perfectly now.  Here's some things I learned that may be helpful:
1. There is a very small amount of play in the cables that make the windshield mechanism work.  To get it back together required the help of a friend.
2.  The video is very helpful but as mentioned by one of you, he was taking it apart with the intent of replacing the motor mechanism.  This seems to rarely be the problem.  Instead it is a lack of maintenance and a build up of crud that eventually binds the system and prevents movement.  I would really encourage anyone with this problem to check the crud issue before replacing the motor.
3. The video also doesn't seem to show in close up how to reset the cable on the plastic spool (If you take it apart you will see the parts I refer to).  This is much more difficult for me (an amateur) than it seems to be for a more experienced mechanic.  Trial and error and the help of an extra set of hands was required to accomplish the task.

Other than a couple days of frustration (my wife is recovering) I'm very glad to have the windshield working as it should.  Thank you again for your input.

Offline PH14

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2020, 11:19:53 AM »
Glad to hear you got it back together and working properly!  :chugbeer:

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2020, 02:48:24 PM »
Did you happen to take pictures or a video of said cable spool? I agree the video sort of missed this and/or glossed over it quickly, so  while myself and many of us can do trial and error, it would benefit future maintenance folks doing this if we have something to reference.

And yes good to hear you got it back up! Maybe take the wife for a ride to show her your gratitude. :)

3. The video also doesn't seem to show in close up how to reset the cable on the plastic spool (If you take it apart you will see the parts I refer to).  This is much more difficult for me (an amateur) than it seems to be for a more experienced mechanic.  Trial and error and the help of an extra set of hands was required to accomplish the task.

Offline cfry

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 06:21:27 PM »
Did you happen to take pictures or a video of said cable spool? I agree the video sort of missed this and/or glossed over it quickly, so  while myself and many of us can do trial and error, it would benefit future maintenance folks doing this if we have something to reference.

And yes good to hear you got it back up! Maybe take the wife for a ride to show her your gratitude. :)

I was so focused on getting the thing back together that I didn't even think about making a video of it.  Sorry about that.  Did take the wife for a ride however :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 07:34:06 PM »
Well done, sir!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.