Author Topic: Eco indicator small one  (Read 16592 times)

Offline sche202460

Eco indicator small one
« on: January 09, 2015, 04:44:50 PM »
Just got bike back from shop. Had gear indicator replaced, working fine. Now small ECO symbol stays on while bike moving. Not larger one that mode controlled at handlebar. It rarely came on before. Can not make it go off except at stop. Any thoughts......thanks
some folks can justify need for fast bike the minute they open their mouth!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Eco indicator small one
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 08:20:05 PM »
Are you talking about the three-ring triangular Eco riding indicator?  That will normally be on all the time when you are riding economically (not gunning it).  It can't be disabled or turned off.

The other indicator you are talking about (also stupidly labeled "ECO" but rectangular) is the FEAM status.  Fuel Economy Assistance Mode.  That can be turned on and off via the handlebar control.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline sche202460

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 06:42:39 AM »
Yes the small three one. Rarely came on till got back from dealer. Going to call them later to see if they may have done additionl work other than replace indicator switch. Question answered by shop. They added fuel system cleaner, apparently short term deal with sensor and should clear up when add gas.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:09:38 AM by sche202460 »
some folks can justify need for fast bike the minute they open their mouth!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 11:34:51 AM »
Yes the small three one. Rarely came on till got back from dealer. Going to call them later to see if they may have done additionl work other than replace indicator switch. Question answered by shop. They added fuel system cleaner, apparently short term deal with sensor and should clear up when add gas.

Well, the ECO indicator should not be affected by fuel system cleaner.  It is computer controlled and I believe it is just based on throttle position/RPM/gear.  If your gear indicator was wacky, THAT could possibly cause the ECO indicator to not be on as often as it probably should have been.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 12:03:41 PM »
I usually clear that up with a twist of the wrist to the stop. 8)
Take that, tree huggers! ;)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 12:11:18 PM »
New guy on a C-14, so correct me if I err.

If it rarely came on previously, it was not working right.
(Probably because of the gear indicator problem).

If it is currently (on when cruising, and goes off when you do an accell), it is correct.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 02:38:27 PM by connie_rider »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 12:30:37 PM »
It should come on whenever you are cruising, and go off when you do an accell.

If it stays on most of the time and goes off when you accell, it is no correct.

I think your last two lines directly contradict each other (I assume the last "no" = "not").  Generally, most of the time on motorcycles is spent cruising.  So the first line said it IS normal for ECO to be on during cruise and off during acceleration.  The second line says it is NOT normal for ECO to be on during cruise and off during acceleration. 

Could just be that last "no" wasn't meant to be in there at all?

Offline EZ

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 02:11:23 PM »
I think the "no" should be now. Then c_r would be correct...

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 02:39:27 PM »
Oops, thank you!
I re-worded it.

See if I got it right this time.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 05:58:02 AM »
I have split off the non-Eco stuff into another thread/topic.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=18754.0
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 07:02:15 AM by VirginiaJim »

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 06:58:06 AM »
I think that indicator is total useless BS bling.  When you're on the throttle hard it's off and when you're not it shows.  Do we really need  an indicator to let us know when we are using more gas?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 07:00:52 AM »
No.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline clogan

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 09:19:21 AM »
I think that indicator is total useless BS bling.  When you're on the throttle hard it's off and when you're not it shows.  Do we really need  an indicator to let us know when we are using more gas?

ECO mode indicator: Just one more thing to totally ignore.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline tomp

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 09:42:04 AM »
The EPA, etc, believe we do.  Next step will be for the bike to automatically kill the throttle input when the indicator goes OFF, in a government effort to save the planet.  could happen.   Remember K cars and 90HP Chevys and Fords of the 80's, along with 55MPH highway speeds?
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 10:23:30 AM »
The EPA, etc, believe we do.  Next step will be for the bike to automatically kill the throttle input when the indicator goes OFF, in a government effort to save the planet.  could happen.   Remember K cars and 90HP Chevys and Fords of the 80's, along with 55MPH highway speeds?

That was the 80's. Now it would be a recording GPS (think fed gov version of On-star) with a gas guzzler tax that would charge by the mile and the speed complete with LEO remote shut down.

Offline tomp

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 10:34:39 AM »
That was the 80's. Now it would be a recording GPS (think fed gov version of On-star) with a gas guzzler tax that would charge by the mile and the speed complete with LEO remote shut down.
  Totally believable, seeing the changes with our country since we started all the hope n change stuff.  Progressive has that plug in thing that monitors one's driving habits, so what's to stop the gubment from mandating something similar on all vehicles. . . ?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 11:36:51 AM »
You probably have a black box data recorder under the seat of your car.

Offline tomp

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 12:00:01 PM »
You probably have a black box data recorder under the seat of your car.

It's a Scion XB. Not much need  for anything connected with speeding with this one.. ;D  tp

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 03:35:52 PM »

I couldn't agree more.  It is pretty much just a silly concession to the "green" political correctness movement.  I think most everyone knows that if you keep the rpm lower and don't accelerate hard, it is going to use less gas.

At least it isn't in your face, can't "break", doesn't add any cost, and doesn't add any weight.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 04:30:11 PM »
At least it isn't in your face, can't "break", doesn't add any cost, and doesn't add any weight.

I admire your optimism.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.