Author Topic: My clutch blew up ( and the speedometer too) - AGAIN  (Read 8520 times)

Offline Haroldo_PSF

My clutch blew up ( and the speedometer too) - AGAIN
« on: July 24, 2017, 06:15:01 PM »
Hi there. It's been a while  ;D
I thought I'd share the very first time, ever, that my beloved 08 connie has taken a  dump on me (well, it did it one other time during a valve adjust, but that was me doing it, and the dump was mostly on my part).

I bought her new in 08, and just clocked 95K miles. For over 10 years myself and friends go for a yearly 1500 miles ride of northern California best roads. This year, I had the bright idea of bragging to the others about how my Concours is the only motorcycle in the group which has NEVER had any issues or caused any aggravation during our 10 years of doing these trips.
Well, of course I had to say that, didn't I.
In the second day during our 5 day tour, the bike started false shifting. I would go into false neutral at least once an hour. Then the speedometer stopped working, and so did the odo.
Side fact: it as 110 degrees at times, and we were riding...how do we say...'spirited'.

Then, as I was coming out of a corner, I lost all resistance in the clutch lever. We stopped in the side of the road (in 105 degrees), and lo and hehold, there was a river right there! So, we all got undressed and took a dip. By the time we returned to the bikes, I had resistance back in the clutch lever, but as I started riding, I could not shift up from 2nd gear. I did not try to shift down, because I was 100 miles away from the hotel, and did not want to be eitehr stuck in 1st or loose gears completely, so I rode 100 miles in 2nd.
To cut story short, wife came and trailered me the next day (she was not happy, likely due to the 6 hour drive to my location).

As I have experience wrenching on the bike and knowing the consequences, I took it to the dealer.It turns out some spring came loose in the clutch and mangled some stuff in there, and the everything needs to be replaced (plates, spring, etc). As far as the speed, they say the speed sensor needs replacing.

The total damage is $1900.

So, learn from be boys. No matter how reliable the bike seems to be, never, ever, brag about it. Your bragging will eventually cause accelerated wear and tear which would not have happened otherwise.

Has anyone here ever had issues with the clutch like this?

As a side note, for years now, I've had this intermittent problem where I would wake up in the morning, specially cold days, and I would have no resistance in the clutch lever. After warming the engine a bit, resistance would come back. I asked the dealer, and they couldn't figure out, telling me in the end it would be easier to let something that is a little broken break fully so it would be easier to diagnose.
I then installed braided lines 2 years (maybe 3) ago. Since then, the lack of resistance on the lever went away.
Now, the clutch blew up. I wonder if I had this issue all along for all these years and it finally 'fully' broke now, after being partially broken all this time?

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 10:57:15 AM by Haroldo_PSF »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: My clutch blew up ( and the speedometer too)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 06:27:56 PM »
Is this THE Haroldo.....the legend? Wow good to hear from you. We've heard whispers but thought you were just a myth. Sorry about the clutch. Are you going to document the repair here where we can follow along. I heard the valve adjust was epic but all that was lost a few years back.  ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 08:16:12 PM »
 :hail:   I'm moved to tears you're back!  Now about your problem...I think it must be the star spring you're talking about and we've had reports here lately of a higher mileage bike where that happened....but $1900?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 12:49:39 AM »
Hey Heroldo, how you doing (other than with the bike stuff of course)? Great to 'see' you although too bad in is under such circumstances.

As to the bike, honestly I can not see pumping almost $2K in an '08 for any reason. The bike is approaching no value, and what value it has would be tough to recover. A member here just picked up a nice '08 for $3K or $3.5K if I remember and frankly, the owner was lucky that it sold at all. So in the end, I question the actual value and sale-ability of any early C-14 with 100K miles on it. And there are much newer, pretty nice bikes out there for not much more money.

Now as far as that diagnosis, I am skeptical of that too; it seems far too coincidental that you are having serious clutch problems, which are mechanical and on the right side of the bike's crankcase, and have had a Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) fail at the same moment, and that is on the left side of the crankcase, attached to the bevel output gear. Makes me go 'hmmmmmm'.

And the clutch having no resistance at all sounds more like a hydraulic issue than a clutch ass'y issue. If that is correct, the hydraulic side of the clutch system will require attention and repair as well as the right, mechanical side of the clutch.

$1,900 also seems quite high for an entire new clutch. Unless there are other problems which require taking the crankcase (and transmission housing) apart, and that is a huge amount of work starting with removing the engine.

All of the above said, I think swapping out the engine may prove less costly. Used engines are available although that too is a 'can of worms' unless you are absolutely certain about the condition of the engine, such as something you bought from a friend as a damaged, non- repairable bike that had a known good engine and a guarantee from the person selling it.

So I would think long and hard (yep, knew what I was typing but as this is Haroldo's return, no witty remarks.... and yes, Haroldo re- appearing is that important) about making any repairs at all to the bike.

Again, great to 'see' you! Best of luck with this problem although we (the entire forum and you) have worked through pesky, persistent problems far worse than this before. Then again, maybe it is the same we who make the problem..... legendary?   ??? ;D

Brian

Hi there. It's been a while  ;D
I thought I'd share the very first time, ever, that my beloved 08 connie has taken a  dump on me (well, it did it one other time during a valve adjust, but that was me doing it, and the dump was mostly on my part).

I bought her new in 08, and just clocked 95K miles. For over 10 years myself and friends go for a yearly 1500 miles ride of northern California best roads. This year, I had the bright idea of bragging to the others about how my Concours is the only motorcycle in the group which has NEVER had any issues or caused any aggravation during our 10 years of doing these trips.
Well, of course I had to say that, didn't I.
In the second day during our 5 day tour, the bike started false shifting. I would go into false neutral at least once an hour. Then the speedometer stopped working, and so did the odo.
Side fact: it as 110 degrees at times, and we were riding...how do we say...'spirited'.

Then, as I was coming out of a corner, I lost all resistance in the clutch lever. We stopped in the side of the road (in 105 degrees), and lo and hehold, there was a river right there! So, we all got undressed and took a dip. By the time we returned to the bikes, I had resistance back in the clutch lever, but as I started riding, I could not shift up from 2nd gear. I did not try to shift down, because I was 100 miles away from the hotel, and did not want to be eitehr stuck in 1st or loose gears completely, so I rode 100 miles in 2nd.
To cut story short, wife came and trailered me the next day (she was not happy, likely due to the 6 hour drive to my location).

As I have experience wrenching on the bike and knowing the consequences, I took it to the dealer.It turns out some spring came loose in the clutch and mangled some stuff in there, and the everything needs to be replaced (plates, spring, etc). As far as the speed, they say the speed sensor needs replacing.

The total damage is $1900.

So, learn from be boys. No matter how reliable the bike seems to be, never, ever, brag about it. Your bragging will eventually cause accelerated wear and tear which would not have happened otherwise.

Has anyone here ever had issues with the clutch like this?

As a side note, for years now, I've had this intermittent problem where I would wake up in the morning, specially cold days, and I would have no resistance in the clutch lever. After warming the engine a bit, resistance would come back. I asked the dealer, and they couldn't figure out, telling me in the end it would be easier to let something that is a little broken break fully so it would be easier to diagnose.
I then installed braided lines 2 years (maybe 3) ago. Since then, the lack of resistance on the lever went away.
Now, the clutch blew up. I wonder if I had this issue all along for all these years and it finally 'fully' broke now, after being partially broken all this time?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 12:55:12 AM »
Not rumors, not myths: Kirby and I were there and everything you heard is true. Including the parts about the unicorns (yes, plural!) and the rips in space- time.

Of course in a case like this, it is always wise to suspect a 'false' or copy- cat Haraldo. But read and  re-read the post and look at the symptoms, all over the bike and seemingly unrelated. The cranky wide. The readiness to tackle this project. In my opinion, as they say in the movies: "This is not a drill. We are witnessing a nuclear event!".

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Actually, I am just glad to see him back and hope he stays around a while! Fasten your seatbelt Gary, there could be turbulence ahead....  ;D

Brian

Is this THE Haroldo.....the legend? Wow good to hear from you. We've heard whispers but thought you were just a myth. Sorry about the clutch. Are you going to document the repair here where we can follow along. I heard the valve adjust was epic but all that was lost a few years back.  ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 04:19:15 AM »
Great to 'see' you again Haroldo!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Haroldo_PSF

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 11:43:42 AM »
That's funny! How did I become a "legend" again? Come on, there has to have been something else to top the charts since, no? I'm shocked that 8 or 9 years later and the story still lives!

I know that this is a lot of money on this bike, but I considering the alternative....If I didn't fix it, I would have to sell it broken (for very little) or part it, which I have no time for.
The truth is that I love this thing. With almost 100K on it, I can ride the bejeezus out of it, the bike is second nature now. Plus, it is fully fitted with Ohlins front and back, PCV, etc etc etc (I don't even remember the list of upgrades, but I know its long).
Then, if I did sell it instead of fixing, I would have to spend some money on a replacement.
I am betting 2K in the possibility of it lasting another 50K miles when I'm ready to buy the KTM super duke GT.
Conrad
I'm glad the same old crew is still here! VirginiaJim, Brian, is Bob still here?

As for the last few years, so much **** happened which kept me distracted...Let's see, in 2012 I rode to Prudoe Bay, AK. 6 months later I crashed at 55mph and shattered my ankle (surgery and titanium hardware fixed it), stopped riding for a few months to make the wife happy, then started again. In 2013 went back to grad school in the evenings, and for the next 4 years up until this last May I literally had no life.  Now I'm finally getting back to my hobbies  ;D

I'm attaching the work order for info on pricing (opps, had to remove, it has my info in it. Will edit and repost)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 11:51:45 AM »
Sorry Haroldo, that I didn't miss you, mostly because I never had any interaction with you.
Regardless, I'm glad you're back and sorry that your clutch problems are the impetus to your return.
In an endeavor to get to know you, I've researched some of you previous posts and in your last one before the hiatus you said:

The two year in the planning 10000 miles ride to the arctic and back is in a month!

update:
...Let's see, in 2012 I rode to Prudoe Bay, AK.

So how did that trip go?
(not looking for "fine" or "great" we want ---> details  {fm said, hoping that his pushiness doesn't drive you away again after such a long absence})

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 02:11:30 PM »

I'm glad the same old crew is still here! VirginiaJim, Brian, is Bob still here?

If it's the same Bob we're thinking of then alas while we knew him well, he decided on a different pasture to play in.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 02:21:29 PM »
You sure can't buy another one for that price. And with labor and full pop on factory parts, it doesn't surprise me. I can't believe a  clutch would last that long.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 02:38:20 PM »
Yeah, that is what Julius Caesar would ask if we dug him up too.... you guys still remember me? Nothing has happened in 2,000 years that tops my shenanigans of so long ago?

;) ;D

Well, it sounds like you have a pretty logical plan. And you are right about the farkling.... I am not looking forward to farkling' up another one myself. The only thing I would perhaps mention would be the VSS, both because you will want to figure it into the price of repairs but still, it bothers me that it stopped working as the clutch mangled itself to death. As I remember, a VSS is something like $70 or $80 and it goes in with one screw and one wiring harness connector. You can swap it in less than 5 minutes and no seals or gaskets required as it seals with an O- ring.

Anyway, as always, the very best of luck getting it back in shape and riding again. We will help if we can of course.

Brian

That's funny! How did I become a "legend" again? Come on, there has to have been something else to top the charts since, no? I'm shocked that 8 or 9 years later and the story still lives!

I know that this is a lot of money on this bike, but I considering the alternative....If I didn't fix it, I would have to sell it broken (for very little) or part it, which I have no time for.
The truth is that I love this thing. With almost 100K on it, I can ride the bejeezus out of it, the bike is second nature now. Plus, it is fully fitted with Ohlins front and back, PCV, etc etc etc (I don't even remember the list of upgrades, but I know its long).
Then, if I did sell it instead of fixing, I would have to spend some money on a replacement.
I am betting 2K in the possibility of it lasting another 50K miles when I'm ready to buy the KTM super duke GT.
Conrad

As for the last few years, so much **** happened which kept me distracted...Let's see, in 2012 I rode to Prudoe Bay, AK. 6 months later I crashed at 55mph and shattered my ankle (surgery and titanium hardware fixed it), stopped riding for a few months to make the wife happy, then started again. In 2013 went back to grad school in the evenings, and for the next 4 years up until this last May I literally had no life.  Now I'm finally getting back to my hobbies  ;D

I'm attaching the work order for info on pricing (opps, had to remove, it has my info in it. Will edit and repost)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 04:09:27 PM »
There are a lot of factors to consider.  Assuming you were ready to lay out 2 grand to fix a 10 year old 95K bike, it is worth considering buying a newer used one with much lower miles, especially if you can part-out the old one for 1K.  You could then transfer most of the farkles you want (seat, windscreen, risers are easy...  muffler not that hard.... suspension, that would be harder.)   But you could end up with something worth more and with far more years of service available.  Quickly found a 2010 with 25K miles, carbon muffler, AND HELIBARS HORIZONS for $5,200!  https://motorcycles.autotrader.com/motorcycles/2010/kawasaki/concours_14/200474591

To me, 10 pretty much trouble-free years on a bike with 95K miles on is a great run, no matter how I look at it, even if it meant going out and just buying a brand new 2017 Concours :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 05:00:17 AM »
There are a lot of factors to consider.  Assuming you were ready to lay out 2 grand to fix a 10 year old 95K bike, it is worth considering buying a newer used one with much lower miles, especially if you can part-out the old one for 1K.  You could then transfer most of the farkles you want (seat, windscreen, risers are easy...  muffler not that hard.... suspension, that would be harder.)   But you could end up with something worth more and with far more years of service available.  Quickly found a 2010 with 25K miles, carbon muffler, AND HELIBARS HORIZONS for $5,200!  https://motorcycles.autotrader.com/motorcycles/2010/kawasaki/concours_14/200474591

To me, 10 pretty much trouble-free years on a bike with 95K miles on is a great run, no matter how I look at it, even if it meant going out and just buying a brand new 2017 Concours :)
But then think about junking a motorcycle because the clutch gave out!  I know it's all about the price, but com'on man!
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 05:24:22 AM »
I can see that there is an emotional component to this dilemma.  Logging 10's of thousands of miles will have lots of memories associated with the motorcycle.  I still regret selling my old VW van many years ago...

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 05:37:54 AM »
I was going to post again in this thread, decided against it, then saw this post so....

Yep, emotional decision, as well as a very personal one. Each person has to do what he / she thinks is the best way forward. And in the end, I think we all make lousy choices now and then but some good ones too; the problematic part is that we just do not know which we are making most of the time when we are actually doing it.  ???

In this case, Haroldo will make his decision (maybe he already has?) and forge ahead. What I do know is that the proper attitude and tenacity will rise up and carry the day beyond which decision was made and Haroldo has plenty of both of those traits. Frankly, it has been a pleasure in the past to kind of accompany Haroldo on some of his projects and hopefully he will share some more, starting with this one, going forward. Perhaps some of us have been of some have been helpful to him as well, and can continue to be so. And trust me, Haroldo will go forward, and I mean that in the very best and most positive way imaginable.

So let us know how the C-14 part of your life is going Haroldo and maybe we can sort of work together a bit, even long- distance on the project.

And on a side- note, while it is OFFTOPIC and none of my (our?) business, did you get your advanced degree and in what if I may ask. And certainly you can just ignore that question if it is too personal or you would rather not converse about that here.... I understand perfectly and take no offense.

Brian

I can see that there is an emotional component to this dilemma.  Logging 10's of thousands of miles will have lots of memories associated with the motorcycle.  I still regret selling my old VW van many years ago...

Offline Haroldo_PSF

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 04:23:45 PM »
I was going to post again in this thread, decided against it, then saw this post so....

Yep, emotional decision, as well as a very personal one. Each person has to do what he / she thinks is the best way forward. And in the end, I think we all make lousy choices now and then but some good ones too; the problematic part is that we just do not know which we are making most of the time when we are actually doing it.  ???

In this case, Haroldo will make his decision (maybe he already has?) and forge ahead. What I do know is that the proper attitude and tenacity will rise up and carry the day beyond which decision was made and Haroldo has plenty of both of those traits. Frankly, it has been a pleasure in the past to kind of accompany Haroldo on some of his projects and hopefully he will share some more, starting with this one, going forward. Perhaps some of us have been of some have been helpful to him as well, and can continue to be so. And trust me, Haroldo will go forward, and I mean that in the very best and most positive way imaginable.

So let us know how the C-14 part of your life is going Haroldo and maybe we can sort of work together a bit, even long- distance on the project.

And on a side- note, while it is OFFTOPIC and none of my (our?) business, did you get your advanced degree and in what if I may ask. And certainly you can just ignore that question if it is too personal or you would rather not converse about that here.... I understand perfectly and take no offense.

Brian

Sure thing.
First thing, I decided to fix the old lady. In the end, if she completely blows up 6 months from now, I won't cry the 1.9K I just spent. It will be OK either way. The added factor to this decision is that I am planning to own the KTM Super Duke GT in the future. The wife already knows about it. If I get another bike, even if it is an old used one, that would be it, as it will be considered "my new bike". So, in an effort to keep the dream alive, and considering how much I love the Concours and how confident I am riding it, it makes sense to me to drop the cash. It is more of a strategic play than a lucrative one at the moment. It does have a purpose.

About the degree. I got a masters in computer engineering from San Jose State University (my BS is in EE from Purdue). I just graduated this May about a month after I turned 40 :D
People ask me if it was worth it, if I'll make more money, etc etc. Well, at this point in my career, with 15 years of experience, an added pedigree on its own doesn't do much. But I have surely gotten a tech refresh, and added some skills I did not have in my toolbox before. One huge outcome of the program is that it sparked my interest in autonomous driving, the new Silicon Valley fever industry. So, after 15 years of medical device history, I left a cushy safe job at a large medical device company, took a paycut,  and joined a small autonomous driving start up. The other day while testing my software I was driving a car at 70mph from my laptop in the backseat. You can't have more fun than that at work, you just can't :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 05:49:59 PM »

Sure thing.
First thing, I decided to fix the old lady. In the end, if she completely blows up 6 months from now, I won't cry the 1.9K I just spent. It will be OK either way. The added factor to this decision is that I am planning to own the KTM Super Duke GT in the future. The wife already knows about it. If I get another bike, even if it is an old used one, that would be it, as it will be considered "my new bike". So, in an effort to keep the dream alive, and considering how much I love the Concours and how confident I am riding it, it makes sense to me to drop the cash. It is more of a strategic play than a lucrative one at the moment. It does have a purpose.

Makes sense to me!  Thanks for sharing

About the degree. I got a masters in computer engineering from San Jose State University (my BS is in EE from Purdue). I just graduated this May about a month after I turned 40 :D
People ask me if it was worth it, if I'll make more money, etc etc. Well, at this point in my career, with 15 years of experience, an added pedigree on its own doesn't do much. But I have surely gotten a tech refresh, and added some skills I did not have in my toolbox before. One huge outcome of the program is that it sparked my interest in autonomous driving, the new Silicon Valley fever industry. So, after 15 years of medical device history, I left a cushy safe job at a large medical device company, took a paycut,  and joined a small autonomous driving start up. The other day while testing my software I was driving a car at 70mph from my laptop in the backseat. You can't have more fun than that at work, you just can't :)

Congrats!  I have a BS in CS,  and similarly have a high-level position and 28 years experience in the field (medical).  I envy your drive and think what you are doing is neat and wish you the best of luck.  Money ain't everything, you only live once, and that is a very interesting field to move into.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 07:05:35 PM »
Great to hear Haroldo (on the job). Congrats and the best of luck with both the bike and career.

Brian

Sure thing.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 03:57:46 AM »

Sure thing.

Congrats!

You and my oldest son are the same age and seem to have the same education. I'd have to disagree on your last statement. Replace the car with a drone and he's blowing **** up remotely. Now that's fun! He leads a team working for a defense contractor and he can't talk about anything he does except in general terms.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Haroldo_PSF

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2017, 10:38:45 AM »
So, picked up the bike Saturday. It drove home OK, noticed a little slippage passing 7K rpm, but didn't stress much on it.
Then, this morning coming to work, the EXACT same thing happened. First, speedometer stopped working, then clutch blew up again (no resistance in the lever, red light on the dash board, etc). Limped home in 2nd gear and grabbed the other bike to come to work.

Well, obvious the dealer fixed the symptom, but not the actual problem. They are closed today, so I have to fume until tomorrow before I go there and try not to be a total dick right of the get go.

In these situations, are they any legal grounds to protect me? After spending 2K for repairs and having the exact same issue reappear immediately, there has to be something to protect the consumer, no?

On the technical side, something is broken causing the speedo and clutch to break. What could it be?