Author Topic: I need another Key FOB?  (Read 59170 times)

Offline spotcw

• It is...what it is
I need another Key FOB?
« on: May 16, 2011, 04:00:37 PM »
My 2008 came with only 1 key FOB and I want to add another before I loose the one I have and have to spend lots of money to replace the ECU. I have heard that a Key FOB from a 2010 or newer, the credit card type, will work for the 2008 and is much less expensive than buying a replacement 08' one. Can anybody confirm this for me? Thanks!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: I need another Key FOB?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 04:27:23 PM »
I can't confirm it, but I did read that the 2008/2009 ECU can be programmed to work with the credit card one.  Keep in mind that the much cheaper credit card version on the 2010/2011 is a *passive* fob, not active.  So it has no proximity function.  To use it, you have to hold it to the ignition, touching it and holding it there for a while.  It is NOT something you want want to try and use "typically" or "normally".

The stock *active* fob will also act as a passive fob if the battery in it dies.... so I don't think the older C14 will know/care.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 04:28:33 PM »
I had a thread on the the pre crash site. A few members stated the credit card fob would replace the larger fob on the 2008+ models.

Cost is about $150 less  :)

Brent
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 06:12:27 PM »
The credit card fob works fine with any year C14.  It doesn't come with a key, so you will need to get one for a spare.  Be aware that there is an A key and a B key.  Make sure you order the right one.  Then you will still need to have the key cut.  I am not aware of an aftermarket key that fits either fob, but maybe they are out there.

It isn't that big of a deal to use the cc fob, but it does take more effort that a regular key, much less KiPass.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 06:32:50 PM »
The CC version runs from $30 to $40 depending on where you shop, plus whatever the dealer charges for programming -- which should be a 15 minute job, tops.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 08:32:48 PM »
The credit card fob works fine with any year C14.  It doesn't come with a key, so you will need to get one for a spare.  Be aware that there is an A key and a B key.  Make sure you order the right one.  Then you will still need to have the key cut.  I am not aware of an aftermarket key that fits either fob, but maybe they are out there.

You *can* order a blank [regular] key that should fit in the Fob.  I saw the part on a diagram at the dealer when discussing keys with them...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
Yes, the 2010 and later 'credit card' fob is only about $35 as compared with approx. $200 for a full blown RF fob that came with the '08 and '09 models. It will cost you a few dollars to have a dealer code the bike to recongnize it but it will still cost far less than the more complete (RF) fobs. The later credit card fobs work with all years of C-14s once the bike is programmed to recognise them.

Brian

My 2008 came with only 1 key FOB and I want to add another before I loose the one I have and have to spend lots of money to replace the ECU. I have heard that a Key FOB from a 2010 or newer, the credit card type, will work for the 2008 and is much less expensive than buying a replacement 08' one. Can anybody confirm this for me? Thanks!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline bdhszy1

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 05:50:14 AM »
  I just had the $35 credit card programed to my 08 last week, works fine and was charged 1/2 hour labor, which is about how long it took them. I too hated riding with only one FOB.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 05:52:49 AM »
  I just had my 08 programmed to the $35 credit card last week, works fine and was charged 1/2 hour labor, which is about how long it took them. I too hated riding with only one FOB.

Fixed it fer ya.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 05:00:55 PM »
Fixed it fer ya.

Yeah, I was going to point that out too.  The keys/fobs just have a numeric code- there is nothing to program in them.

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 12:40:20 PM »
I know this is an old topic but my dealer says he had never heard of this. How do I get him the information he needs to order this in..
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 01:06:06 PM »
I know this is an old topic but my dealer says he had never heard of this. How do I get him the information he needs to order this in..

If your dealer is looking at the parts listings for '08/'09 he's not going to find it. He has to look at later years for the part number.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

zrotes

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 10:01:40 AM »
And where can I buy?
card Fob key

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 10:02:57 AM »
And where can I buy?
card Fob key

Your Kawi dealer.

zrotes

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 10:13:37 AM »
we dealers are stupid and expensive

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 12:26:47 PM »
Got the same problem over here... :rotflmao:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1560.0

The fob that you get has to have the unique id number with it.   Typically this is on the bag it come in.  It is not printed on the fob or in it that I'm aware of...

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 10:40:26 AM »
we dealers are stupid and expensive

At least you admit it  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 10:24:56 PM »
I'd like to bump this conversation for some clarification.  I have washed my original fob one time too many, and now it is working then not working.  It seems to drain the battery pretty quickly (like in 3hrs).  I want to be clear about the credit card FOB, does it work the SAME as the original that came with my 08?  Like I can just get on the bike and ride?  I believe I saw a post where someone stated that you had to wave it around the ignition to get it to work.

Just would like some clarification,

Scott 
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 04:06:17 AM »
You have to hold it against the switch housing to start the bike.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 04:40:43 AM »
You're not going to mention the secret incantation?