Author Topic: be careful assuming you can still carry in Virginia  (Read 4884 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: be careful assuming you can still carry in Virginia
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 10:39:18 AM »
I just heard that on the radio today..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 11:23:51 AM »
Guess I'm thinking twice before traveling to VA for any reason. Not that I travel there much anyway but the spring trip to Busch Gardens may be off the books.

Offline SilverConnieRider

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 11:37:40 AM »
Ye ha my state is on the list that will remain.

But it should be, as my state holds the record for most states (40) that accept our permits.   :thumbs:

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 05:44:11 PM »
I just heard that on the radio today..

Canceling my vaca at your abode....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 05:49:43 PM »
And how do these left thinking brainless people think that this will do any good whatsoever? Considering that permitted conceal carriers have been vetted by expanded background checks and have proved to the states satisfaction that we can be trusted.... The bloody problem is that criminals don't obey laws to start with!  :nuts:
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 06:10:37 PM »
For these people, the criminals are the lesser of two evils.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 08:08:49 PM »
I imagine that it will be overturned in the legislature once they come back, which should be about a month from now.   So don't cancel your vacation plans just yet.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
Open carry is legal there. They say when in VA you are boundto VA laws? VA law says open carry is legal. Bea them at their game.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 02:08:53 PM »
I'm not sure I'd push that until the law gets changed.  If you want to flaunt it with a VA LEO, then by all means.  Let us know how it goes.  I'm probably going to see my nephew this weekend at some point (deputy) and get his take on it.  There's enough outrage internally that I really think it will be overturned very soon.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 06:03:40 AM »
The Legislature and the Governor are set to reverse the Attorney General's ruling...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 06:05:51 AM »
Is the AG elected or appointed?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 06:08:46 AM »
I believe that he is elected.  This appears to be a compromise for both sides although the anti-gun violence advocates are not real happy at the moment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/mcauliffe-to-restore-handgun-reciprocity-in-deal-with-republicans/2016/01/28/6f8c0240-c5d8-11e5-9693-933a4d31bcc8_story.html

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 07:00:30 AM »
You know, seeing how this is turning out now...it could have been a ploy for negotiations on other measures.  Not that I believe for one second it was... ::)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 03:47:03 PM »
Business as usual.  I had a feeling this junk would get reversed.  Many hundreds of people (including me) drove to Richmond on lobby day and were quite the presence.  I am not happy it will take the form of a compromise... it really needs to be pushed through legislatively and then a veto overridden.  The only reason there would be any kind of compromise is if the pro-rights legislators think they don't have enough to override the veto.  Make no mistake, this is not a Republican vs. Democrat issue... there are plenty of Democrats who also believe this action was wrong.

Oh, and there is also the governor's "emergency executive order" banning concealed firearms in offices occupied by executive branch agencies.  On that one, check out this:

http://www.townhall.virginia.gov/L/Comments.cfm?StageID=7379  4454 comments on the record.

See, if Obama can just usurp the legislative branch and illegally yet successfully make any "laws" he wants, why can't the governors do it too??
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc