Author Topic: a couple questions for a concours guru ?  (Read 12271 times)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: a couple questions for a concours guru ?
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 06:05:27 PM »
:popcorn:
'The carbs were cleaned on the bike with different carb cleaning products.'

I am not going to say one word..not one.

Just two then? NOT CLEAN ...

Very likely that the slow speed jets and/or their passages are not fully cleared of some gumming debris. These jets are really tiny and once blocked there is just about no chance that any cleaning product will blast through; it usually takes a tiny wire/drill etc to mechanically clear them; also compressed air in volume is an absolute necessity too...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Alphonzo

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 07:23:11 PM »
Yeah - but I just buy new jets, 'cause that wire will change the size...

I agree.  But I'm not gonna rebuild these carbs, then  let 'em sit dry all winter.  I'll just do it before I put it on the road, next spring.  I'll check out the airbox then, too.  That will give me time to get my head together on what I want to do to it, as well.

So the goal for now is just to get it going good enough to ride, and it is.  I don't think the carbs have ever been off the bike so the plugs are likely still in the idle screw holes, too.  And so, maybe the bike is running really good, considering that.

The concours runs great.  I just have to ride it fifteen minutes before it warms up, then it's smoooothe as silk, except at idle.  The bike handles well and, overall, is a joy to ride.  But you gotta watch the thing when the tank is full!  WOAH!

I like the way the bike looks, too.  Never had a blue bike, before - kinda like the color.  I saw one on here that is orange, with darker paint near the edges.  That thing looks great!

There's a funny looking thing under the seat at the back.  Is that the mount for those trunks?  I see they go for like $300... a bit rich for my blood!  I don't like the bags much.  I had them on the bike and they made it so fat it hit the fence, on the way into the back yard!  It didn't look like it would be very hard to rip them off the bike, even if they were locked.  I like to carry some nice camera equipment.  Heck, if I can ride and shoot pictures, too...!  lol

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 08:27:40 PM »
:popcorn:
'The carbs were cleaned on the bike with different carb cleaning products.'

I am not going to say one word..not one.

OK Mike, I'll take it for the team. You are showing amazing restraint!!!  Carbs are finicky. They can NOT be cleaned on the bike. Just trust me on this.......or not. Many have gone before you, and the results are pretty predictable.  If you do not know exactly what you are doing, it is even difficult to do it right OFF the bike. This is why Steve is so friggin busy doing carbs, plus he adds overflow tubes, and sets the critical float levels properly,  and really knows his stuff.
Man, if we each had nickel for every guy that tried to clean his own carbs without knowing how to do it well........we would all be rich!  Money spent with Steve is really a bargain, but don't take my word for it, do the work yourself! When you get a chance to ride a bike that has the carbs right you will be totally amazed at how nice it can be. Mine pulls like silk from about 2 grand up. Typical connies are crap until about 4-5 grand, but they have no idea that this can be cured.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline Alphonzo

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2013, 04:38:00 AM »
Mine pulls like silk from 1200 up.

I don't need Steve, or anyone else, thank you very much.

I was lurking on another site where I saw how Steve and his pals treat people.  It will be a cold day in hell when I do business with that guy - even if I needed his services, which I don't.

Let me make this very plain.  I will not buy anything.  If that means I am not welcome on here, just say so.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2013, 04:59:54 AM »

I was lurking on another site where I saw how Steve and his pals treat people.  It will be a cold day in hell when I do business with that guy - even if I needed his services, which I don't.

Let me make this very plain.  I will not buy anything.  If that means I am not welcome on here, just say so.

Don't care anything about what goes on at other sites but you are most certinly welcome here...

BUT copping a tude here will get you absolutely no where!

BTW Steve's responce to you here was both helpful and friendly.......
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 06:23:04 AM by T Cro ® »
Tony P. Crochet

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2013, 06:17:25 AM »
 :o  :popcorn:

So all the guys who have been working on these bikes for over 20 years can pound sand? Seems to be an unusual attitude going around. Just a guess but I think the help has dried up Alphonzo.

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2013, 08:13:58 AM »
It does not matter what you buy from anyone. You came asking for some advice and got it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 11:21:44 AM by 2fast »
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2013, 10:49:14 AM »
The carbs were cleaned on the bike with different carb cleaning products.
The above proves that you do need help and you do not know what  your doing even though you think you do.

No your bike does not. You stated you have not even synched your carbs after a valve adjust and a so called 'Cleaning'. No stock C10 pulls smoothly. They all have a dip which is clearly seen on a dyno. Do you have any dyno runs to back up your 'smooth as silk statement? Of course you you dont.   I have many and so do many others  here so listen and learn.

If that means I am not welcome on here, just say so.
Fix your attitude. Of course you do not have to buy anything but  you do have to have to conduct your self with a proper attitude.
Listen to those who know and you may learn otherwise you are wasting yours and our time.

Brian- so much for my restraint- gone!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 11:49:11 AM by Daytona_Mike »
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2013, 11:53:06 AM »

pulls like silk eh....
well to each his own

do you know anything about Shinola?  there's another saying that contains it... but we can't use it here....not allowed...
DIDJA EVER  THINK that Steve, AND his PALS live here also????
so, just like the people on the OTHER site, you are gonna come here and begin Dissing the Guru's as some call them, and get any kind of viable answers to questions you apparently seem to have answers for (in your own mind) as with the other 3 people in the last week "over there"...

go lurk somewhere....

here's a tune to whistle on the way...

oh, we'll (the guys that you dissed) be sending you a complete refund of all the fees you paid to be a member here also... actually we'll include a %50 bonus of that figure in the check, just to ease the pain...   ;)
http://youtu.be/yzfzsKENCbU

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2013, 06:40:58 PM »
Isn't there a new ZG group on Yahoo? This guy could join and double the membership.

Something in the water lately??
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Alphonzo

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2013, 11:00:36 PM »
Well well...  I see the GANG is all here.  And I am, of course, surprised, by that!  No, really - I never expected it...

Now you are telling ME how my bike runs, without ever having seen it...  You are telling me my carbs are not clean, without ever having seem them...  Indeed, you do know a lot - an AWFUL lot.  The Russians are experimenting with remote viewing.  Looks like they found their guys!

You may not know it, but I do time travel :)  I can go back to the night you cats (and I have trouble with this next word) THOUGHT all this up.

(The screen fades to black, then comes back in sepia tone.  A bunch of drunken, stupid rednecks sit around a table, sniffing glue, and quaffing brew...)

"...Hey, ya know, this new internet thing... we just might be able to use it, to get more business for the shop."

"Naw."

"No, really.  We will go onto these... forum things, and we will take them over!  We will be the experts, on the concours bike.  We will convince Mr. Rich Business Man that he needs to... have his carbs rebuilt..."

He is interrupted  "Naw.  All they gotta do is put some sea foam in the tank."

"Well, yeah, but THEY don't know that!  We'll con the little coins, right of their pockets.  We'll go to all the rallies and we'll act like the goodest 'ol boys, that ever was.  We'll give some stuff to the club, every once in a while and, after they're BOUGHT, they won't give us any trouble...  LISTEN - we can end up OWNING the place and make a lot of money, at the same time!"

And you are right.  W.C. fields was right, too, when he said, "There's a SUCKER, born every minute."

The thing that just might be beyond your meager abilities is, there are intelligent people, watching this; people who can actually put 2 and 2 together, and get 4.  And that's about all it takes, in this case!  Your choices and actions seem illogical, UNTIL your motives are deduced .)  And that takes about 0 minutes - roflmao!

No, really - I am a bad, BAD man, and I slander these... fine, upright gentlemen, because...  uh, what's in it for me?  And they gang up on me, whenever I make the slightest peep, because... well, because I am raining, on their parade; because I'm saying things like "I cleaned the carbs on the bike and now they work great" and they can't HAVE that...

Every tough guy finds out there is somebody tougher, real quick.  And every con artist finds someone their line of BS does not convince.  So be good sports about it, guys - after all, nobody bats a thousand and there will always be a bazillion stupid people, for you to prey upon.

Oh, and I didn't set you up.  Seriously.  I would never do that.  It just HAPPENED this way...

But, no matter - all you gotta do is have one of your droogs to delete this post and your "secret" ROFLMAO! will be safe...

Offline timmerz

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2013, 12:12:02 AM »
Alphonzo, you're 'WAY off here. I have no affiliations with anyone on this board, and came here when I bought my Concours a couple of years ago, and asked questions just like you did, and got some answers that helped me out tremendously....there are always going to be answers you get that won't fit your game plan, but you just pass those by and get along with the general population, just like in everyday life...throwing inflammatory statements out there like you did just guarantees that nobody will ever even click on a thread that has your name attached...
We're not here to argue and flame each other, we're here to try to help each other with the best knowledge we can come up with for each situation...
Hope you read this and absorb it with the same attitude I'm typing it in...trying to smooth the rough waters that have been stirred up...
Tim

Offline Alphonzo

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 12:46:06 AM »
Of course I am, Timmers.  And as long as you don't look a gift horse in the mouth, so shall I remain :)

As for my part, it's time I finally grew up.  Why should I help IDIOTS?  If God did not grant them the tools, and/or the will to help themselves, who am I to interfere?

If you can not follow the logic in my post, it is because you do not want to do so.

It seems to me that life is filled, to overflowing, with choices between doing what feels good, and doing what works.  For those that choose the former, there is little hope.

Your bike will, no doubt, run well when you pay Steve $300 (+ shipping, 2 ways) to do your carbs.  And you will have the overflow tubes, as well.  The fact that you MIGHT be able to get the same thing, minus the tubes, for a $9 investment in a can of sea foam needs to be mentioned, as well. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 01:37:23 AM »
The fact that you MIGHT be able to get the same thing, minus the tubes, for a $9 investment in a can of sea foam needs to be mentioned, as well.

i'M NOT SURE IF MOST ENEMA BAGS ARE SEAFOAM FRIENDLY, BUT PLEASE USE ONE, AND REPORT BACK.....
thanks for coming, hang out as long as you wish, I am sure it will get better from here on out....

if you dispute the fact the carbs should come off, and be cleaned and adjusted correctly, whether you do them, or someone with experience does them, free or with compensation, you are only lying to yourself... especially when you said it isn't worth doing now, because theres only a couple months of riding left this year.... just park the damned bike in the garage now, and fix it in the spring.....
better yet, sell it.
hell, any of these guys you are biotch slapping, me included, could do this service in less than 4 hours, for a burger and a beer.... but for an a-hole like you, we'ed say go p*** up a rope.

oh, and don't start calling us stupid bubbas... you may find we have a collective endeavorment much higher than the norm, and none of us utter the phrase "hold my beer and watch this..."

butt wipe

::) ::) ::)

you are the third person, in less than a week, with a residency of 10 days or less, to call ass on multiple people with the credentials, and the willingness to give straight answers, without a dollar figure... somehow I'm not getting the "I have to pay someone" thing you seem to have in your brain.

at the risk of alianating myself here, and getting a slap on my hand, I will just say...

move on
please.

you burned the bridge, peed in the pool, and generally made a real good impression. ::)

you can always go back over to the official COG forum, and even buy a COG membership (by all means I highly recommend that) and then you can complain we don't treat you well.... and if that isn't working, you can threaten everyone, and start a YAHOO group to dis us all.... not like that ain't been done before, in the last week.... man. what is going on in peoples brains these days? ::) ::) ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2013, 03:45:54 AM »
And this thread has run it's course... CLOSED

As to the personnel attacks directed towards its members it will not be tolerated...
Tony P. Crochet