Author Topic: Any Locksmiths out there?  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Shoe

Any Locksmiths out there?
« on: May 19, 2011, 06:14:07 PM »
This is a quick question. I somehow managed to get my cargo net jammed in the rear hatch on my Nissan Exterra. I've removed most of the net but the lock still won't budge. Is there anything I can do before I call a locksmith?  :'(
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Any Locksmiths out there?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 07:38:03 PM »
You could try getting someone to help you push down hard on the hatch while trying to manipulate the lock.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 06:06:30 AM »
T's on the right track.
Is some of the net still in the actual latch mechanism?
If the latch is jammed then a locksmith might not be much help (beyond doing what T-Cro suggested) might be a job for a mechanic.
The only way I can think otherwise is to try and remove the inner door panel so you can pull on the rods directly and thereby provide greater force on the latch than your key can provide. But I would still recommend having someone push shut on the door while you pull the rod on the inside .
Good Luck!
'02 C-10

Offline Shoe

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 07:42:34 AM »
I was able to free the hatch on my own. I used a short section of 2x4 to hold the handle in the open position while I gently kicked the hacth open from the inside. A lot of net was caught up in there and it can out once the hatch was open. My job now is to repair the net.  :'(
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing