Author Topic: zx14 owners  (Read 30766 times)

Offline jwh20

Re: zx14 owners
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 03:19:14 PM »
I have both an '08 C14 and an '08 ZX-14 and there is no comparison.  The ZX-14 is SO much more powerful it's downright scary!  (But in a very good way!)  Indeed the C14 is no slouch, as the folks here know, but the ZX-14 is a sport bike not a sport touring bike.  It's lighter and the engine is tuned differently.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 03:26:23 PM »
The 1600 would need to be serviced before the end of the race..at a BMW dealer, of course.  I did see a wicked red ZX-14 at a Sheetz today.  I did not ask if he wanted to race.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 09:18:57 PM »
OK, I'll bite.
Yes, I own a '10 Connie, and a ZX14R.
The ZX14R is insane. Period. I can't believe they really sell those things to the general public.
It does an 8 second quarter mile times with a strapped fork.
No way are they in the same discussion. Yeah, the Connie is based off that bike, but with the added 30 HP from the original, the 12 and up R model is in a whole new league. It's sick.

Get some.  8)

The grass isn't always greener.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2014, 10:19:42 PM »
+1... the ZX14R is a freakin rocket ship, my local shop let me take one for the day, wow, what a blast I had on it!  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline gnique

• Arena
  • Take BIG bites! Moderation is for monks!
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2014, 10:37:48 PM »
That is such a fun question!! I have a 2008 ZX14 and a 2009 Concours. When I test rode the Concours I thought " this really has sort of nice acceleration. It is nice and smooth, kinda like a big ole comfy bear. This would be fun to tour Eastern Oregon." I have actually never considered the Concours really very fast, just smooth and comfortable and sweet. I have heard it said that you can't have a girl friend that is too pretty. I don't know about that at all. My wife is the best thing that has ever happened to me. The same guy said that you can't have a car (motorcycle) that's too fast. Yes you can too!!ZX14's aren't too fast, they are too GOD DAM fast!! MY ZX14 is almost stone stock and the only time that I have ever cocked the throttle wide open is when it was in the garage, shut off on the kick stand. If you advance the throttle on a ZX14 too much you dam near caint get off of the thing. That is how hard it accelerates. A ZX14 dosen't even NEED a transmission. A 40 mph roll on in sixth gear will get you in trouble before you can say "oh schitt!" Now I want you all to know that I am 66 years old - I ain't 22 anymore but I have been riding since 1964, I was in a war and I have jumped out of a LOT of airplanes. I have been in three air crashes. I raised three kids who all went into the Army and to Jump School. I ain't 22 but it takes a bit to really scare the pants off of me. The ZX14 is scary. Nice scary. Erection causing scary. Oh sweet Jesus scary. But scary never the less. And remember mine is the SLOW ZX14!! They got one now that is even more insane (insaner ?) If you want to know what I am talking about - ride one. If you show up at my house on a Concours you can ride mine. But, yeah, it's faster.

Offline Big Mike

• Binghamton, NY
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 06:52:27 AM »
I have actually never considered the Concours really very fast, just smooth and comfortable and sweet.

this..

My thoughts exactly after making the switch from a ZX14..  8)
2014 Concours 14 Candy Cardinal Red..
HeliBar Risers/Knight Design Lowered Pegs/Super Shark Skins/Cee Bailey Ultra Tour/TechSpec Snake Skin

Offline ARS

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 10:28:37 AM »
I took my bride to the dealership yesterday with the intent of researching my future bike.  I love my 2012 C14, but like with all bikes it’s a compromise. It has a high value/performance ratio and I place more value on the sport than the touring.  The 5% of the time (when my Wife is on board) I yearn for a better touring bike.  We took the K1600GTL Exclusive and the K1600GT Sports addition for unsupervised test rides on their 7 mile route which included a couple ½ - ¾ mile straights and the rest mild twisties.  For my Wife’s benefit, both bikes were tamed down to comfort/rain mode, but I took the K1600GT Sport on a solo ride in sport/dynamic mode.

I’ve concluded the K1600GT Sport (Sport: orange paint & clipped windshield) would have a slight edge over the C14 on the short straights, but it handles much lighter than the C14 in the corners which would give it a significant advantage.  I didn’t have enough room to really stretch her legs out, but it’s hard to believe it’d pull away from the C14 as “they” say.
When I retire and have the time to take my Wife on some serious X-country rides.  The GTL may be an option.  For now I’ll be sticking with the C14 because you don’t get $10K more ride out the GT IMHO.

Steve has a nice review on the GT:
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2946.msg34000#msg34000

Offline tomp

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 05:28:05 PM »
http://motorcycles.findthebest.com/compare/408-412/2012-Kawasaki-Ninja-ZX-14R-vs-2012-Kawasaki-Concours-14-ABS

Here's some basic spec comparisons of the 14R and C14.  They are both made and sold by Kawasaki, other than that, not a whole lot of similarities.  I have never ridden a ZX 14 or 14R, but would like to, but not own one.  Too much forward body tilt for my old bones. 

Maybe it's just me and memories, but to me, the ZZR1200, I used to own, was a quicker, maybe even a faster bike, than my C14.   Could be the cam differences and how carbs react, vs FI, but the 1200 was much more exciting in triple digits, especially in the twisties.  Just my thoughts.  A friend has a 1600GTL, and I got to ride it Friday, all the way up a ramp onto his trailer.  They sure do sound sweet, though. 
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2014, 05:44:18 PM »
'but the 1200 was much more exciting in triple digits, especially in the twisties.'

:yikes:

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 06:01:26 PM »
...it takes a bit to really scare the pants off of me. The ZX14 is scary. Nice scary. Erection causing scary. Oh sweet Jesus scary. But scary never the less...

:goodpost:   :rotflmao:

Offline tomp

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2014, 06:56:40 PM »
'but the 1200 was much more exciting in triple digits, especially in the twisties.'

:yikes:

Yep, more sport oriented seating, like the 14R, and handled much quicker.  Less weight, too.  Under 100+MPH, it was boring to ride.  Above, it came into its real purpose.  Was designed to be an Autobahn open lane machine, or so I read once from a Kawi factory source. 

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2014, 07:05:58 PM »
http://motorcycles.findthebest.com/compare/408-412/2012-Kawasaki-Ninja-ZX-14R-vs-2012-Kawasaki-Concours-14-ABS

Here's some basic spec comparisons of the 14R and C14.  They are both made and sold by Kawasaki, other than that, not a whole lot of similarities.  I have never ridden a ZX 14 or 14R, but would like to, but not own one.  Too much forward body tilt for my old bones. 

Maybe it's just me and memories, but to me, the ZZR1200, I used to own, was a quicker, maybe even a faster bike, than my C14.   Could be the cam differences and how carbs react, vs FI, but the 1200 was much more exciting in triple digits, especially in the twisties.  Just my thoughts.  A friend has a 1600GTL, and I got to ride it Friday, all the way up a ramp onto his trailer.  They sure do sound sweet, though.
The Connie and ZZR have about the same power, but the Connie weighs about a hundred pounds more.
The Connie still out handles the ZZR, but the ZZR has a better hit up top. I miss my ZZR. Thank goodness I don't have to miss my Connie. I rode it last week. It was awesome.

Offline tomp

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2014, 07:10:42 PM »
The Connie and ZZR have about the same power, but the Connie weighs about a hundred pounds more.
The Connie still out handles the ZZR, but the ZZR has a better hit up top. I miss my ZZR. Thank goodness I don't have to miss my Connie. I rode it last week. It was awesome.

Yep, the ZZR was three bikes in one.  1-3+K, nice town bike, 4-6+K, a nice sport bike.  From 6 up, a real super sport, that required you to really hang on for the next gear.  One and two, were fun, three was just toooo dam much fun, where the C14, accelerates like an electric motor, just rheostatically, moves forward at a faster pace.  Like mentioned, smooth.   tp

Found this pic once, and decided with that bike I could get one of these.  Didn't happen, though.  tp

]

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2014, 03:46:29 AM »
Yep, more sport oriented seating, like the 14R, and handled much quicker.  Less weight, too.  Under 100+MPH, it was boring to ride.  Above, it came into its real purpose.  Was designed to be an Autobahn open lane machine, or so I read once from a Kawi factory source.
Where do you find triple digit twisties besides the track? I wanna go.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2014, 12:19:30 PM »
Go hit Hwy 55 in the Texas Hill Country.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2014, 12:28:20 PM »

Just did that this summer on my way from Austin to Ruidoso.

Offline tomp

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2014, 12:34:16 PM »

Parts of the Three Sisters and some of the other FM/RR's in the Leaky Medina, Camp Wood area allow for such speeds.  Some parts are too tight for speeds over 20.  Highway 159 between Bellville and Fayettville, as well as the FM roads off shooting to Old Dime Box area, too.  Not the Dragon, but we do have fun in the Lone Star State... tp

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2014, 12:38:28 PM »
Parts of the Three Sisters and some of the other FM/RR's in the Leaky Medina, Camp Wood area allow for such speeds.  Some parts are too tight for speeds over 20.  Highway 159 between Bellville and Fayettville, as well as the FM roads off shooting to Old Dime Box area, too.  Not the Dragon, but we do have fun in the Lone Star State... tp

+1  :thumbs:

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2014, 02:04:39 PM »
Connie Vs ZX14R?? the longer the Connie stays in it, the worst its going
to get. . .

I purchased the Connie to chill and slow down, here is a pic of my ZX14R

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline katata1100

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2014, 08:15:31 AM »
You know, if you pitted the c14 against the finest liter plus bikes of the late 80's, the C14 trounces. Got a GSX1100R? It'll lose.
My '91 Kat is no match, what with it's "slow" 10.7 1/4 mile. I think stock c14 will do it in 10.4, I'm "Guhled" so it'll be better.
At sea level, the bike will easily lift the front end up entering freeways, feels fast enough to me.
I wonder what times these bikes are putting with 4-1 exhaust, larger throttle bodies and a tune. While i don't think they are in the 8's, they could be in the 9's, pretty insane for a tourer.