Author Topic: How to reuse your keys on new luggage locks.  (Read 13656 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: How to reuse your keys on new luggage locks.
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 05:37:24 PM »
Agreed. But that is not the situation we have nor is it likely to be fixed at the manufacturer's level, which leaves us all do deal with this problem on our own. Not the ideal situation but it is an imperfect world.

But in any event, the point of my posting in this thread was to address the "fact" that 'we all know' how easily the orange saddlebag latches break. I have never heard of one breaking yet.

Brian
Nope, so far, to date; and you guys know me on calling b/s on anyone at the drop of a hat, being the COG Tech Editor when this bike was introduced, I have NEVER heard of an orange latch breaking... that said, and being the harbinger of precluding bag lossage, I developed, tested, and posted the pinning method.
Do it or not, I could care less... my bags stay on, likely would have even not pinned, because I could never dislodge them by hand once retrofitted with the Kaw recall latches.... ( oh, for those newbies, I was on the phone with the people at Kaw in Cali, after the third bag ejection, and WAS the one forcing the recall, and retrofit... little known fact... I have to thank them, Nasa corp., for their rapid deployment recall... nuff said, my arms don't reach the "pat here point" on my back any longer)

As for new discoveries? Meh, nothing new, as posted above about locks.

Glad to see ya back 238....good luck with making a ZG into a ZX.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 05:37:30 PM »
Agreed. But that is not the situation we have nor is it likely to be fixed at the manufacturer's level, which leaves us all do deal with this problem on our own. Not the ideal situation but it is an imperfect world.

But in any event, the point of my posting in this thread was to address the "fact" that 'we all know' how easily the orange saddlebag latches break. I have never heard of one breaking yet.

Brian

Agreed.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 05:38:48 PM »
Nope, so far, to date; and you guys know me on calling b/s on anyone at the drop of a hat, being the COG Tech Editor when this bike was introduced, I have NEVER heard of an orange lath breaking... that said, and being the harbinger of precluding bag lossage, I developed, tested, and posted the pinning method.
Do it or not, I could care less... my bags stay on, likely would have even not pinned, because I could never dislodge them by hand once retrofitted with the Kaw recall latches.... ( oh, for those newbies, I was on the phone with the people at Lad in Cali, after the third bag ejection, and WAS the one forcing the recall, and retrofit... little known fact... I have to thank them, Nasa corp., for their rapid deployment recall... nuff said, my arms don't reach the "pat here point" on my back any longer)

As for new discoveries? Meh, nothing new, as posted above about locks.

Glad to see ya back 238....good luck with making a ZG into a ZX.

I prefer the zbars but then I'm a wild and crazy guy!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2014, 05:47:57 PM »

zbars?

xanax or apehangers?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2014, 05:54:36 PM »
On a side note, and to attempt an explanation on my , and  Brians part... we have been dealiing with this toy for 7+ years, and having someone jump in, and make miraculous discoveries, to us all, just kinda grates the carrot so to speak... especialy when they enter and degrade, what we have done so painstakingly to improve, and retain... basically, we sen it, did it, tasted it, felt it, and continuously try to improve it from time elapsed experience. Don't take our comments short,  we both are very abrupt, and only wish to allay fruitless persuits, because we both slammed our fingers with the proverbial "paid for it dammit" hammers..

Take it how you will, but tghen, there's lotsa stuff we can help you with, seriously HELP you with... pizz off the Popes, and see if you go to heaven... or Valhallah... 8)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2014, 05:55:36 PM »
Dammit Jim, shutup and pour me a drink..... 8)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2014, 06:57:14 PM »
Well, I LOVE miraculous discoveries.... but only if they are really discoveries :-)  The Rostra was a good example of a combined effort I think- lots of people contributed to the 'tribal knowledge' of installing one of those on a C-14 and I think the result is a better installation (although the original still works, as it always did).

But all of that aside, I have noticed a general trend on the forums over the course of time: in the 'olden' days of 2007 and 2008, there were a lot of really interesting discoveries, learning, figuring out things about this <then> brand new bike. Those days are gone and the C-14 is now a very affordable, used bike and the forums have changed; I believe the two things are linked. So the learning is way down, the humor is down and the abrasion is up.... it is too bad but probably inevitable.

The really good news is that I believe there might, maybe, just possibly be a three- letter cure. And I won't mention those three letters but Hans and Gerhard have been big fans of that company since way back when they made aircraft engines.  ;)  I ride with those folks already and like them pretty well, my only problem is that they seem to be camping orientated. Oh well, I think I will jump in and test the waters.

Brian

On a side note, and to attempt an explanation on my , and  Brians part... we have been dealiing with this toy for 7+ years, and having someone jump in, and make miraculous discoveries, to us all, just kinda grates the carrot so to speak... especialy when they enter and degrade, what we have done so painstakingly to improve, and retain... basically, we sen it, did it, tasted it, felt it, and continuously try to improve it from time elapsed experience. Don't take our comments short,  we both are very abrupt, and only wish to allay fruitless persuits, because we both slammed our fingers with the proverbial "paid for it dammit" hammers..

Take it how you will, but tghen, there's lotsa stuff we can help you with, seriously HELP you with... pizz off the Popes, and see if you go to heaven... or Valhallah... 8)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2014, 07:06:44 PM »
PS  THE ONLY reason I came back on here was due to Maxtog helping me greatly, and I wanted to hang with him and some of the other guys that welcomed me.  If other users plan on being ugly,
I'll will simply ask a mod to block them from my posts.

Sorry does not work that way.... When members find that they can't get along with each other they need to learn restraint and when that does not work learn to utilize the ignore feature that is in your control panel... When Moderators are forced to step in the results are usually not at all pleasent.... Let this be a warning not to be taken lightly by "ANY" member here don't show your dick as you will come back with a nub and no higher power will save you.... Play nice or go play.....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2014, 08:03:12 PM »
For all the rest of your that were supportive to a new guy, I say thanks.  Let's get to building some cool sheeeit!!!!  And ride.  Oh, sorry so many of you live up in the tundra, you can always trailer your machines down to Arizona and ride here...  ;D   Love to show any guys coming this way great roads, ghost towns, etc... 8)
  :popcorn: real interested in how you bypass the linked brakes and some of the other mods you had , mentioned  earlier.   :chugbeer:

Offline 238mph

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2014, 11:49:37 PM »
This just cracks my butt in half... I come on here and post some "How to repair..." to HELP some others, and the FRIGGIN "Know ALL GODS" have to chime in???

Really?   Can't you two idiots just go and praise each other about how great you both are???   Like two high school mental idiots that probably bullied everyone smaller than yourselves, and to this day just never grew up.  And now you hide behind a screen and continue your high school bully ways online.

Let's be grown ups here... I'll make you a deal... stay out of my posts, and I PROMISE not to bother to read ANY of yours.

I refuse to let two jerks ruin my experience of visiting this board... I have no idea WHY Man of Plastic Balls and BFD are even allowed on here.  I know I'm a new person here but who did they blow to get to treat other members they way they do????

Offline 238mph

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »
Has anyone ever heard of an orange C-14 bag latch snapping off? This was a recall item that was address and I am not aware of ANY orange latches breaking. Anyone?

I suggest everyone do his / her own research on this matter because I believe this is incorrect information.

Brian

Blowhard, why do you think I'm changing a lock out???  BECAUSE IT BROKE,  GOT IT?  IS THERE SOMETHING THAT YOU MISSED HERE?

Offline 238mph

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2014, 11:53:52 PM »
Wow and, expensive!!

Nice piece!!!!  Great find and EXACTLY what I need... but holy cow, that's crazy expensive.....

Offline 238mph

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2014, 12:35:23 AM »

Did anyone here ask you to chime in about anything?  Sorry, believe it or not, you're not a God on here... hate to burst that fat bubble over your head...  The orange latches DO break, mine was broken when I bought the bike... AND sometimes people drop a bike and break a bag.  My point, in case you obviously missed it, was how to change a lock in the bag to keep one key working for all... so butt out.  Sorry you're simply not needed in this post, or any others of mine.  And while you were busy "perfecting" the bike as you put it, I was busy BLOWING through the 200mph mark on ZX-14s and pulling power out of those engines that people didn't know existed.
Some how or another, I have no desire to bow to you as this "Holy God" you think you are... I've paid my dues.  Show me any of your 200mph plus traps...

And Brian's comment about how the C-14 exhaust flows as good as the ZX made me spit milk all over my screen...  yes, you're both rocket scientists...lol ;D

Is it worth coming to this forum, (that has some great posts and cool members), and yet have to deal with two overgrown yard apes on my back all the time?
Is this really how you guys treat new members?  Is this really how you members want to run this board?  Do you think new members are going to want to hang around when they have to deal with this non-stop immature, non-relevant to the post, crap????

I can take a lot of BS.  Not a big deal... but it gets old.  Especially from a couple of nobody's...  If it were two top racers or well known engineers or something I might see it.  But these two guys are absolutely ZEROs thinking they run the place... wow.  You want arrogant?  You got 'em!   Two of them.  If this were my board, they would both be gone....

Chime into the admin if you think this is BS

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2014, 03:52:28 AM »
Did anyone here ask you to chime in about anything?  Sorry, believe it or not, you're not a God on here... hate to burst that fat bubble over your head...  The orange latches DO break, mine was broken when I bought the bike... AND sometimes people drop a bike and break a bag.  My point, in case you obviously missed it, was how to change a lock in the bag to keep one key working for all... so butt out.  Sorry you're simply not needed in this post, or any others of mine.  And while you were busy "perfecting" the bike as you put it, I was busy BLOWING through the 200mph mark on ZX-14s and pulling power out of those engines that people didn't know existed.
Some how or another, I have no desire to bow to you as this "Holy God" you think you are... I've paid my dues.  Show me any of your 200mph plus traps...

And Brian's comment about how the C-14 exhaust flows as good as the ZX made me spit milk all over my screen...  yes, you're both rocket scientists...lol ;D

Is it worth coming to this forum, (that has some great posts and cool members), and yet have to deal with two overgrown yard apes on my back all the time?
Is this really how you guys treat new members?  Is this really how you members want to run this board?  Do you think new members are going to want to hang around when they have to deal with this non-stop immature, non-relevant to the post, crap????

I can take a lot of BS.  Not a big deal... but it gets old.  Especially from a couple of nobody's...  If it were two top racers or well known engineers or something I might see it.  But these two guys are absolutely ZEROs thinking they run the place... wow.  You want arrogant?  You got 'em!   Two of them.  If this were my board, they would both be gone....

Chime into the admin if you think this is BS

Apparently my post did not apply to you?

"Sorry does not work that way.... When members find that they can't get along with each other they need to learn restraint and when that does not work learn to utilize the ignore feature that is in your control panel... When Moderators are forced to step in the results are usually not at all pleasent.... Let this be a warning not to be taken lightly by "ANY" member here don't show your dick as you will come back with a nub and no higher power will save you.... Play nice or go play....."

That meant no FURTHER outburst would be tolerated from them or you... Enjoy your time off....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010