Author Topic: Federal Marijuana Legalization Bills Introduced  (Read 11494 times)

Offline Conrad

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sherob

• Arena
Re: Federal Marijuana Legalization Bills Introduced
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 01:12:46 PM »
About time!  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 01:22:08 PM »
I don't why anybody would be opposed to letting people who suffer from a sickness to use marijuana to ease the pain. But my question is, if the chemical in marijuana, THC, is the reason it is used, and medicinal THC has been in a pill form for years, then why the reason to puff a joint to ease the suffering? Is this about being able to light up wherever you please to get high from the militant potheads, or is this about helping people who really are suffering? The way I hear that in CA, you merely need to walk into a clinic and express a need for medical marijuana and its handed out. Why puff when you can pop a pill and get the same results?
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 01:28:04 PM »
I don't why anybody would be opposed to letting people who suffer from a sickness to use marijuana to ease the pain. But my question is, if the chemical in marijuana, THC, is the reason it is used, and medicinal THC has been in a pill form for years, then why the reason to puff a joint to ease the suffering? Is this about being able to light up wherever you please to get high from the militant potheads, or is this about helping people who really are suffering? The way I hear that in CA, you merely need to walk into a clinic and express a need for medical marijuana and its handed out. Why puff when you can pop a pill and get the same results?

This is about the recreational use of marijuana.

As for the pill form of THC? I don't know anything about that but Colorado has these, and I may or may not know something about them.    8)

http://www.cheebachews.com/

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 01:34:04 PM »
There are a few ways to take your medicine... smoke/vape... ingest via pill or elixir form, or food/drink, and even a salve.  The way you take MMJ also alters the effect and duration it has. 

Taking for THC only is just getting high... higher CBD percentage aids in pain relief and has anti inflammatory properties.  You have different strains of MMJ for higher/lower THC/cannabinoid combinations for different medicinal properties.  A manufacturer isn't going to make a pill for 5 to 20 different strains... they'll make one.   

Just an observation...
Rob

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 01:45:03 PM »
There are over 500 different strains of marijuana.

Check this link to see what each of the strains can be used for.

Click on one of the maladies on the left and see which strains are known to help with that issue.

http://www.leafly.com/explore

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 02:39:01 PM »
Anybody here use marijuana to reduce the pain and effects of disease or the treatments for those diseases? If so, smoke or pill? I think as with many other things in the news recently, the general public is being mislead as to why the laws for marijuana are being reformed or why marijuana is being used and by whom. I think the majority of voters think this is for pain relief for medical purposes and in many cases this is how these laws are being portrayed and if they knew it was for recreational use more would be against any laws allowing its use legally. My opinion only. I think we have enough mind/mood altering sustances that are available legally right now, I don't think we need any more. Do I think that possesion of a few joints or an ounce should get you jail time? No. If thats the kind of reform they are pursuing, then fine. But to legalize it for use like alcohol. No. Again, just my opinion.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 03:05:29 PM »
Anybody here use marijuana to reduce the pain and effects of disease or the treatments for those diseases? If so, smoke or pill? I think as with many other things in the news recently, the general public is being mislead as to why the laws for marijuana are being reformed or why marijuana is being used and by whom. I think the majority of voters think this is for pain relief for medical purposes and in many cases this is how these laws are being portrayed and if they knew it was for recreational use more would be against any laws allowing its use legally. My opinion only. I think we have enough mind/mood altering sustances that are available legally right now, I don't think we need any more. Do I think that possesion of a few joints or an ounce should get you jail time? No. If thats the kind of reform they are pursuing, then fine. But to legalize it for use like alcohol. No. Again, just my opinion.
Before the law passed here in WA State it was clear it was for recreational use.  What isn't clear yet is how does a person go about legally procuring some?  Can't grow your own, no place w/o a MMJ card to purchase, so I am wondering why people are smoking??
I'm like a dog chasing it's tail on the entire issue, I'm OK with it if it stays in ones own home or private property, but in public?  In public places akin to a bar?  Not so much.  I really don't care what a person does to themselves, I do however care when those actions have negative impact on others.  No differant than drinking and driving.  I ways doing just fine before the law passed and I am still doing fine since.
I am looking at turning a profit though, making basic greenhouses that can be transported on a trailer and man portable for setup ;D 

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 03:32:44 PM »
Is medical marijuana taxed in places that allow it for medical use? So if legal for recreational use, then you can just store pounds of it like folks have bottles of liquor? Where would you buy it?  SOP, like you said if the law was passed for recreational use then why the need for a medical marijuana card? So then it wasn't really passed for medical use. So again, the public is misled concerning th scope of the law and why it was on the ballot and why they think it is being used.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 03:37:57 PM »
I am a CO MMJ Red Card holder.  I use for major pain relief.  I use cartridges with hash oil that are vaporized.  I pick strains based on my needs, trying to get the higher CBD strains when possible.
Rob

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 03:46:37 PM »
Are you taxed? Do you have medical insurance that covers this? How did you go about obtaining a card in CO. Doc involved, referral needed? Not sure of your situation but how does this work when you are at work, driving/riding? Obviously, you can't when you need to do this, or just using to get these certain chemicals does not alter your consciousness. Not being flippant or disrespectful, just asking as I don't know.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 04:00:03 PM »
Strawboss, it was a law passed without a plan, typical I guess.  Eventually there will be "Pot" stores or "Pot" isles in Walmart, no card needed.
With a bad back I have toyed with the idea myself, but I just don't have good results from other prescription meds and I am avoiding that "synthetic" life.  I'm beginning to respect the pain and like to think that pain is a way of telling me I have led a good life.  (Pain still sucks BTW)  I could drown it out with liquor, but then I am limited as to what I can do when liquored up, same would be true for the MJ.  One day I will give it a try just because I don't know if it will help me or lead to an altered life.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
None of this is covered by insurance, all out of my pocket.  I brought medical records with me to a physician to get my paperwork filed out.  I pay a fee for my license... I pay for my physician's referral... I pay taxes on my MMJ.

I would never drive or operate my MC under the influence of alcohol, nor would I do the same with MMJ.  The same for work, I would never work under the influence of MMJ or alcohol! 

I also never drove under the influence of all the prescription drugs that were given to me... those were horrible BTW!  Try breaking a physical addiction to a pain killer that is prescribed... not fun!
Rob

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 05:00:40 PM »
Sherob,SOP, I understand, I hurt my back last September and took some major drugs for about two weeks, I also drank more gin than I ever did in my life, and yes, I did't like that as i'm not a pill person. One more question then I'll leave it alone, how come whenever a law such as this is proposed, all sorts of doctors, experts, sufferers, patients, politicians are trucked out to plead about how very important it is to insure that people have a choice in dealing with their pain and condition, but, the day after this law passes, all you ever see is thousands of potheads and old hippies, and college kids gathering to light up and get high and celebrate a vistory to use hallucinogens legally? Those people look to be in pretty good health dancing around without a care and most likely without a pain, before they light up. Sherob, I wish you luck and hope you are pain free in the future, by any means.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 05:19:48 PM »
If a person wants consume/ingest any substance in the privacy of their own home, why is it anybody else's business? Do it in public, while on the job, while working, give it to a child, then we can have a discussion. I know I'm a radical but come on, smoking weed in private should not be a crime. BTW, just for reference, my drug of choice is beer and I absolutely don't allow anyone smoke anything in my house.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 05:40:17 PM »
Rhino, I agree with what goes on at home, stays at home, but how does it get into your home, who grows it, cultivates it, transports it, sells it, profits from it, is destroyed by it?

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 07:49:57 PM »
Strawboss... It's against the law to be seen using MMJ in the public... You can lose your Red Card, and be fined.  What you see, probably not real MMJ patients.  In CO, it's a misdemeanor to have less than a certain amount on you... Have no idea what that amount is... It's a ticket.
Rob

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 08:02:45 PM »
Rhino, I agree with what goes on at home, stays at home, but how does it get into your home, who grows it, cultivates it, transports it, sells it, profits from it, is destroyed by it?

A dispensary is like a brewpub... They grow their own product, but carry other pre-packaged merchandise.  So, the dispensary profits... the vendor of pre-packaged merchandise profits.  The state profits the most from taxation... ;D

As far as who is destroyed from it, look at a brewpub... who is destroyed by alcohol?  I can give numbers for deaths from that.  I can't give you numbers that have died from MMJ use, because it hasn't happened.
Rob

Offline Leo

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 08:06:35 PM »
I always thought it was ignorant to have outlawed Pot and the continual fight to keep it illegal.  It is not as dangerous as alcohol.  The argument that it is a "gateway drug" is a red herring.  Pot smokers do not automatically become crack heads, anymore than a beer drinker automatically becomes an alcoholic. Regulate it, tax it, and sell it in the liquor store.  If someone over does it and screws up, arrest them for operating under the influence, just like you would with a drunk.

As a motorcyclist, on a curved dark road at night, I would much rather have a mellowed pot smoker driving slow, kicked back listeng to his music than a drunk nascar fan driving fast and aggressively with blurred vision and poor reflexes. 

If you ever have worked with the public, you will find far more domestic violence with alcohol and heavy drugs than with pot smokers.  Pot smokers are usually pretty passive (ok, kind of whiney) even when they are getting evicted from their apartments.  With a drinker,  the only time you do not have a fight on your hands is when they are already passed out.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 08:17:42 PM »
I don't smoke it, but I want to know when I can start growing it on my farm to supplement my income.  The stuff grows like weeds.   8) ::)
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077