Author Topic: Come Friday the Connie is going to a new home.  (Read 12621 times)

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
Re: Come Friday the Connie is going to a new home.
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2013, 09:55:15 PM »
Looks like I am the new twit that has acquired Pokey's bike. I went from a TL1000S to the V Strom and even thou is a very capable bike from some mild off road to a little peg dragging. It just lacked the excitement I once had on the TL, and i wanted somethin more touring oriented.   And I most definitely gained that with the 14. I have had her for about 10 days now and clock about 600 miles and I absolutely love it. Only thing I need to complete the package is a decent helmet my old EXO 400 makes a lot of noise the way the wind comes off of the 14 wind screen its several years old I was ready for a new one anyway I'm looking at the Shoei Quest. Anywho I have some real thick skin so "bring it" you have to to hang out with the ohioriders guys ;D..and pokey don't worry about be gentle on the strom I broke her in last year after it was a garage queen for its first 6 years of life.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2013, 01:21:36 AM »
opened this thread expecting a PIC or three.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2013, 04:56:18 AM »
Looks like I am the new twit that has acquired Pokey's bike. I went from a TL1000S to the V Strom and even thou is a very capable bike from some mild off road to a little peg dragging. It just lacked the excitement I once had on the TL, and i wanted somethin more touring oriented.   And I most definitely gained that with the 14. I have had her for about 10 days now and clock about 600 miles and I absolutely love it. Only thing I need to complete the package is a decent helmet my old EXO 400 makes a lot of noise the way the wind comes off of the 14 wind screen its several years old I was ready for a new one anyway I'm looking at the Shoei Quest. Anywho I have some real thick skin so "bring it" you have to to hang out with the ohioriders guys ;D..and pokey don't worry about be gentle on the strom I broke her in last year after it was a garage queen for its first 6 years of life.

Welcome!

FYI, you can't inherit twit status. You'll have to earn that distinction.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2013, 04:59:30 AM »
Welcome, 2talltim!  Now bring me a shrubbery!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2013, 08:19:35 AM »
Welcome!

FYI, you can't inherit twit status. You'll have to earn that distinction.    ;)

Good to know :-X

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2013, 08:23:24 AM »
Welcome, 2talltim!  Now bring me a shrubbery!

I will as soon as I figure out what the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow is. 8)

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2013, 05:24:38 PM »
Should we call you Triple T?

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2013, 04:31:24 AM »
Should we call you Triple T?
:o um no. . :P

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2013, 03:47:11 PM »
Glad things are working out Tim, I am enjoying the big V and it did not take me very long to bond with it.  8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Slideways

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2013, 09:15:05 PM »
Came within a hair's breadth of trading my '08 Connie for a Wee Strom. I'd be interested in reading your thoughts after you have some time on your Strom. What do you miss, what is better, etc.
:popcorn:
If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2013, 10:11:18 PM »
Came within a hair's breadth of trading my '08 Connie for a Wee Strom. I'd be interested in reading your thoughts after you have some time on your Strom. What do you miss, what is better, etc.
 :popcorn:

Had a 1000 Strom from 2005 to 2009, then I went the C14 route. I just loved the C14 for the animal that it is, fast smooth mile eating machine. I enjoyed every mile I put on it, but I came to the realization that I enjoy less plastic and less weight and power. The Stroms are simple machines that do allot of things well, and they can take a beating and just keep on ticking. I enjoy exploring the rough county and township roads of rural Ohio too much, and the C14 just did not do that too well. The character of that big racing twin and the power delivery is just a hoot, the 650 version is the more refined and probably all around better machine, but the 1000 just kept calling me back. I will probably have nothing but a big ADV bike going forward, I am much more comfy and confident on them. And what can I say.....I love ugly strange looking bikes.   :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Slideways

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2013, 10:06:45 PM »
...and you think a Strom is stange and ugly?! You should see my car.  :loco: '03 Honda Insight. Hmmmm... Maybe a Strom is my thing.
If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2013, 10:29:24 PM »
...and you think a Strom is stange and ugly?! You should see my car.  :loco: '03 Honda Insight. Hmmmm... Maybe a Strom is my thing.

I dig the Element and the Ridgeline too.  8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2013, 10:58:03 AM »
All I can do is shake my head...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2013, 12:57:56 PM »
All I can do is shake my head...

Shake your head while driving the Prius?  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2013, 04:37:24 PM »
My wife drives that now.. :'( ....I'm driving the RAV4, which isn't bad, but it only gets 25mpg compared to 50mpg that the Prius gets.  I don't drive that much anymore unless I'm on a job so it makes sense for her to drive it and I'm trying to keep as many miles off of it that I can.  It has close to 280K on it.

And if you must know, I was shaking my head at my home office desk...you Twit.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2013, 06:28:40 PM »
My wife drives that now.. :'( ....I'm driving the RAV4, which isn't bad, but it only gets 25mpg compared to 50mpg that the Prius gets.  I don't drive that much anymore unless I'm on a job so it makes sense for her to drive it and I'm trying to keep as many miles off of it that I can.  It has close to 280K on it.

And if you must know, I was shaking my head at my home office desk...you Twit.

The Rav4 is a pretty darn good vehicle, and having a home office is nice isnt it!!!  8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Cuda

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2013, 08:47:55 PM »
I can get 19mpg at 70mph  and pull both of you around  ;)

All the pollution crap is removed , I've got three 500 gal tanks at home Road, off Road and Gas

I don't check MPG too depressing , $ 3,500 to $ 4,000 per month  to keep fuel in the tanks. :offtopic:

Don't know why you did not keep Connie and buy a used off road beater.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2013, 06:02:34 AM »

All the pollution crap is removed , I've got three 500 gal tanks at home Road, off Road and Gas

I don't check MPG too depressing , $ 3,500 to $ 4,000 per month  to keep fuel in the tanks. :offtopic:

That would be nice.  We're going to Orlando in August.  I'll send you the exact date in a PM and you can tow us down there.  MPG would be fantastic and I appreciate your offer.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2013, 07:40:13 AM »

I have a real off road beater, WR250R in the garage too. The C14 just was not for me, hence why I no longer have it. I also tend to get bored with bikes, I seem to change about every 4 years.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"