Author Topic: Latest Darwin Awards Nominee  (Read 9996 times)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Latest Darwin Awards Nominee
« on: June 29, 2017, 12:17:07 AM »
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Latest Darwin Awards Nominee
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 02:30:01 AM »
OMG- they thought a book would stop a .50-calibre at point-blank range?  Wow.  But not even TESTING such an utterly stupid stunt beforehand.... the stupidity is so much as to be almost unbelievable.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 02:32:44 AM »
Yeah, that book is no doubt ruined now.

Brian

WTF were they thinking???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40438207
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 02:37:47 AM »
OMG- they thought a book would stop a .50-calibre at point-blank range?  Wow.  But not even TESTING such an utterly stupid stunt beforehand.... the stupidity is so much as to be almost unbelievable.
30 people watching and yet no one suggested it was a bad idea.
--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 02:38:33 AM »

Brian

explain that away when you take it back to the library ;)
--

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 03:54:22 AM »
Unfortunately the legend lives on. Should have tried the stunt before she got impregnated.

Offline Conrad

Cleaning the gene pool
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 04:01:11 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/29/us/fatal-youtube-stunt/index.html

Genius!

Hey, I've got an idea. Hold my beer and watch this!

What's the worst that can happen?

Oh yeah.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 04:07:39 AM »

Brian

:yikes: Oh the humanity!

A 50 calibre handgun?  Never knew something like that existed.   Although I guess it's not much of a stretch above a 45.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 04:16:42 AM »
Not that I want to see the dummass get shot but I'd like to see how the cupcake handled the recoil.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 05:29:50 AM »
In barrel and projectile diameter, no but in power and muzzle energy, it is in another orbit entirely. Same thing with the firearms using those two cartridges; .45 ACPs are available in 3" barrel, lightweight carry pistols (though not 'pocket pistols') while a .50 AE (Action Express and it does use both of those words) is only available in a Desert Eagle, a gas- operated, very large chunk of pistol. Worlds apart. A truly poor choice in calibers to try and use a book small enough for a human to hold as body armor while actually testing the theory. A .45 with ball ammo would have actually been a pretty good, no, very good choice as far as calibers goes..... still mixed up in a truly terrible experiment of course.

Assuming the shooter is anywhere near a normal sized female, and not a world- champion body builder or similar, I betcha' her hand hurts from shooting that pistol in that caliber. Not as much as her boyfriend perhaps but painful nevertheless.

The 'normal' way to test penetration (Boys!) on things not welded to vehicles or attached to buildings is to set them in soft sand to support them and then shoot them.

But after scanning the headlines of any legitimate news organization for the last few years, is this event really all that surprising? The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

As an aside, that is is the legal limit for civilian use in the US, 50 caliber for any firearm, long gun or short (rifle or handgun) firing a single projectile. Which at first may sound silly but there are a whole PILE of European, mostly British, 'dangerous game' calibers in normal use for hunting that cannot be used or even possessed in the US. Calibers such as the .600 Nitro Express, a popular caliber for professional hunters in Africa and used for thick- skinned game, the usual being elephant, rhinoceros and hippo. Dangerous game pistol calibers would include the .460 S&W, the .500 S&W (world's most powerful handgun caliber) and a few others such as the .50 A.E., and these would be used on all large game in most places in the world other than a select few in Africa and India but would included the dreaded 'Book-skin Youtuber' found in the southern United States.....  ::)

Brian

:yikes: Oh the humanity!

A 50 calibre handgun?  Never knew something like that existed.   Although I guess it's not much of a stretch above a 45.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 05:44:08 AM »
Spending a day at a Florida beach WHEN SUDDENLY, seven sharks swim up to the very edge of the water. Witnesses say that the sharks were between two and seven feet long and two appeared to be fighting. If present as a beach goer, what do you do?

1) stay out of the water 'cause shark bites are painful and cause permanent damage.
2) Stay where you are and be amazed about the sharks.
3) Walk into the water to get a closer look at these sharks.

The correct answer seems to be choice 3. Hmmmmm, maybe they had books to hind behind if the sharks attacked them?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sharks-caught-video-swimming-florida-204130185.html

Brian

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 06:30:03 AM »
A 50 calibre handgun?  Never knew something like that existed.   

Oh yes- Desert Eagle.  Has been out a long time (and a few others).  It is absolutely huge.

Although I guess it's not much of a stretch above a 45.

Think again.... it might not have much more diameter, but it is a lot longer.  It has tremendous power.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 12:00:42 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 10:15:31 AM »
Yep - couldn't agree more.

The gene pool needed a bit of chlorine in it. It's too bad she's pregnant with (presumably) his kid. So the Darwin thing isn't going to fly, unfortunately.

2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 10:22:37 AM »
Not a revolver but a gas- operated, locked breech, self- loader. Magazine fed, loaded through the grip (frame). The layout looks very similar to the usual self- loading pistols all over the place but it is really quite rare in that it is gas- operated while most self- loaders (or semi- autos) are short recoil, locked breech designs; these two designs are entirely different and do not resemble each other in any way regarding operation.

There are .50 caliber revolvers and all that I know of are quite powerful, far more so than the .50 AE. The most common, and taking the title of the 'world's most powerful handgun' is the S&W Model 500, chambered in 500 S&W Magnum. A most impressive and punishing to shoot handgun.

Both of these will easily penetrate all the way through all the books a normal human could hold IMO and most certainly the 500 S&W.

As modern times promote hasty eating to a large extent, it is not surprising to learn that a great astronomer said: “Two things are infinite, as far as we know – the universe and human stupidity.” To-day we know that this statement is not quite correct. Einstein has proved that the universe is limited.
-Fredrick S. Perls

And now 'Jethro' and his book have proven the other side, human stupidity really does appear to be infinite.

Brian

Oh yes, revolver- Desert Eagle.  Has been out a long time (and a few others).  It is absolutely huge.

Think again.... it might not have much more diameter, but it is a lot longer.  It has tremendous power.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 10:39:02 AM »
I find it implausible for someone to own a Desert Eagle .50 AE and not know that it would penetrate a book. She or the boyfriend never shot it before because it would have left an impression. There has got to me more to this story.

And like someone else said, should have done this stunt before getting pregnant for Darwinism to kick in.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 05:09:52 AM »
Spending a day at a Florida beach WHEN SUDDENLY, seven sharks swim up to the very edge of the water. Witnesses say that the sharks were between two and seven feet long and two appeared to be fighting. If present as a beach goer, what do you do?

1) stay out of the water 'cause shark bites are painful and cause permanent damage.
2) Stay where you are and be amazed about the sharks.
3) Walk into the water to get a closer look at these sharks.

The correct answer seems to be choice 3. Hmmmmm, maybe they had books to hind behind if the sharks attacked them?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sharks-caught-video-swimming-florida-204130185.html

Brian

Ever since Jaws, I've never gone over ankle deep in any natural body of water.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 06:32:06 AM »
I used to be a commercial diver.

This one day, on a job with my brother, we were taking turns (Easy Boys! My brother!) working a piling; at the end of his down time, he comes onto the boat and says he thinks he saw a shark swim by (we are in southern New England, not far at all from Martha's Vineyard, where Jaws was filmed and there are some large sharks around these parts, including Great Whites). He then spent the next one- half hour convincing me (but really himself) that it was not a shark, if it was, it was not a big shark, etc., etc.. A little funny, a little sad and frankly a little off- putting, all at once.

We did carry bang sticks, and while they are extremely effective against any size shark, it is unlikely any diver but especially a commercial diver (dark dives, limited to no visibility, usually facing down, working, etc.) would ever have a chance to use one on a shark before the shark already had the diver.

But the bright side is that sharks usually bite and then spit divers back out. It appears they do not like the taste of our suits. So it really all comes down to how bit the shark is and how large that first taste is as to how much damage the diver suffers.

Personally, I would be far, far more cautious about diving in a lot of other places than here including southern US waters, Australian waters, etc.

But look at the bright side: virtually no one ever gets shot underwater and the odds of getting hit by, say, a drunken driver go WAY down so there are those plusses.....

Brian

Ever since Jaws, I've never gone over ankle deep in any natural body of water.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 08:35:06 AM »
Speaking of Jaws...

WAY back when my wife and I first met, and I do mean WAY back, 1975. I was living in Naples Florida and she came down on a vacation (longer story). We went on our first date and it was to the drive-in to see Jaws. Scary stuff!

Our second date, the next day, was spending the day at the beach. (if you're familiar with the Naples area, it was the beach south of the Naples Pier) We were out swimming in water about chest high when I stepped on an electric Skate (like an electric eel but in the shape of a stingray). It hurt like a MF but I was trying to be macho and didn't let her know how badly this thing hurt me. Then I stepped on another one and macho went out the window. She was really scared (remember Jaws) and I just didn't want to step on another Skate! She jumped on my back and I headed for the shore. On the way I stepped on two more Skates.

It was interesting that while she was on my back, I got the **** shocked out of me, she didn't.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 10:02:16 AM »
.50 cal is the biggest hou can own?
Hmm....700 Nitro Express, .68 black pwder, or how about the .950 JDJ?
All legal.
Heck, a 12 ga is .729 dia.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline scubadoguk

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 10:36:01 AM »
I used to be a commercial diver.

This one day, on a job with my brother, we were taking turns (Easy Boys! My brother!) working a piling; at the end of his down time, he comes onto the boat and says he thinks he saw a shark swim by (we are in southern New England, not far at all from Martha's Vineyard, where Jaws was filmed and there are some large sharks around these parts, including Great Whites). He then spent the next one- half hour convincing me (but really himself) that it was not a shark, if it was, it was not a big shark, etc., etc.. A little funny, a little sad and frankly a little off- putting, all at once.

We did carry bang sticks, and while they are extremely effective against any size shark, it is unlikely any diver but especially a commercial diver (dark dives, limited to no visibility, usually facing down, working, etc.) would ever have a chance to use one on a shark before the shark already had the diver.

But the bright side is that sharks usually bite and then spit divers back out. It appears they do not like the taste of our suits. So it really all comes down to how bit the shark is and how large that first taste is as to how much damage the diver suffers.

Personally, I would be far, far more cautious about diving in a lot of other places than here including southern US waters, Australian waters, etc.

But look at the bright side: virtually no one ever gets shot underwater and the odds of getting hit by, say, a drunken driver go WAY down so there are those plusses.....

Brian

I can aslo verfie sharks like there meals (clairity ) unwrapped and free of cans of gas :) I was not as glam as the commies, I taught scuba all over the world but every single class was the question what about sharks :)
poo poo occurs..British by birth American by choice