Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 303335 times)

Offline Big Mike

• Binghamton, NY
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2014, 11:34:45 AM »
Watching and listening to people on the news that know zero about short track racing, or racing in general, making uninformed comments on the tragedy here this weekend involving Tony Stewart and Kevin Ward Jr.

RIP Kevin Ward Jr.
2014 Concours 14 Candy Cardinal Red..
HeliBar Risers/Knight Design Lowered Pegs/Super Shark Skins/Cee Bailey Ultra Tour/TechSpec Snake Skin

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2014, 11:08:46 AM »
Watching and listening to people on the news that know zero about short track racing, or racing in general, making uninformed comments on the tragedy here this weekend involving Tony Stewart and Kevin Ward Jr.

RIP Kevin Ward Jr.

Doesn't "uninformed" usually describe most news people?
Tragic event.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2014, 11:14:36 AM »
I think in these days, unfortunately yes. Today it seems that we have confused news and reporters with game show hosts and most unfortunately, ratings. I really do suspect that a lot of the old- time news folk such as Walter Cronkite would not succeed if starting out in broadcasting today.

I do not watch any news broadcasts at all and have not done so in years. I scan the 'Net for headlines and chase down what is of interest to me rather than what is of interest to the population. I also make some effort to grab a few different points of view on any issue that seems contentious and at least try to screen out the facts from the noise.

Brian

Tragic event.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2014, 12:11:53 PM »
Watched Streetcar Named Desire last night for s&g, cause it popped up in a Brando marathon..... man, that was a funky movie, I had forgotten how Psycho Blanche Dubois was......

Ohhhhhh
STELLLLLLAAAAAAÀ...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2014, 12:14:12 PM »
Friends season 5 don't judge me.
Mike
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2014, 12:18:17 PM »
I think in these days, unfortunately yes. Today it seems that we have confused news and reporters with game show hosts and most unfortunately, ratings. I really do suspect that a lot of the old- time news folk such as Walter Cronkite would not succeed if starting out in broadcasting today.

I do not watch any news broadcasts at all and have not done so in years. I scan the 'Net for headlines and chase down what is of interest to me rather than what is of interest to the population. I also make some effort to grab a few different points of view on any issue that seems contentious and at least try to screen out the facts from the noise.

Brian

+1 Don't want lame stream media deciding for me what's news and what's not.

The news on TV or in print is in the exact same business as any other tv show or magazine article. They all are in the entertainment business and looking for ratings exactly the same as the latest sit-com.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2014, 02:34:41 PM »
I get 95% of my news from the web....we all know that's highly accurate.  The other 5% is local news and the Today/Tonight shows.  Yeah, I like NBC.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2014, 02:53:35 PM »
And that right there is the truly scary part; any one of the Kardasians (SP?) can sell FAR more news stories than, say, foolish things like the economy.

Brian

+1 Don't want lame stream media deciding for me what's news and what's not.

The news on TV or in print is in the exact same business as any other tv show or magazine article. They all are in the entertainment business and looking for ratings exactly the same as the latest sit-com.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2014, 02:55:49 PM »
The 'Web' is merely the delivery tool, not the source. The source for news would be a major newspaper (all disappearing pretty rapidly), UPI, AP, any network news dept., Reuters, the BBC, etc., ad nauseum. The problem with TV news is that someone has already chosen what you will see and how much of it you will see. The 'Net is wide open and and within your control.

Brian

I get 95% of my news from the web....we all know that's highly accurate.  The other 5% is local news and the Today/Tonight shows.  Yeah, I like NBC.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2014, 04:15:08 PM »
The 'Web' is merely the delivery tool, not the source. The source for news would be a major newspaper (all disappearing pretty rapidly), UPI, AP, any network news dept., Reuters, the BBC, etc., ad nauseum. The problem with TV news is that someone has already chosen what you will see and how much of it you will see. The 'Net is wide open and and within your control.

Brian

Well said!

Offline Big Mike

• Binghamton, NY
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2014, 06:16:29 PM »
Tragic event.

Pretty much..  :-\
HeliBar Risers/Knight Design Lowered Pegs/Super Shark Skins/Cee Bailey Ultra Tour/TechSpec Snake Skin

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2014, 11:12:20 PM »
13 sins
 ??? ??? ??? :'(
I have to say don't watch it...
1-1/2 hours of my life Netflix owes me back.....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2014, 05:01:23 AM »
Watched the movie Disconnect last night.

Powerful and VERY well done. I give it 8 outta 10.    :thumbs:

Found it on HBO GO. I'll give it a try. Thanks,

Did you get a chance to watch the movie?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2014, 08:36:39 AM »
Did you get a chance to watch the movie?

Not yet, finished "The Pacific" series last night. Loved it. Will probably watch it this weekend.

Offline Big Mike

• Binghamton, NY
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2014, 10:56:22 AM »
Local news..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2014, 08:32:45 PM »
What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams  I think I cried the entire movie.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2014, 10:59:17 AM »
Just finished a binge watching of the current 4th season of Downton Abbey after waiting over 6 months to get it from the local library. Good writing, well, its British, that goes without saying. Like the clothes, love the cars.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2014, 02:48:36 PM »
You know that is really not a true story, right Jim?  :-)

I saw that years ago and it was.... strange. Not awful but really different.

Brian

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2014, 03:50:34 PM »
Maybe, maybe not...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2014, 05:10:55 AM »

You should have followed that up with Patch Adams, Mrs Doubtfire, or Popeye.    :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn