Author Topic: Led Turn signal bulbs  (Read 36572 times)

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
Led Turn signal bulbs
« on: June 07, 2015, 06:55:24 PM »
I finally replace my turn signal bulbs. I am happy with the results

Purchase 2 pairs of LED amber bulbs from VLED
AMBER 7507 21 LED BLINKER TURN SIGNAL BULBS BAU15s | ($50/pr )1 PAIR

Part #: 7507_21_A

LED Flasher Relay from Motorcycle Store $12.95

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/67453/i/dmp-led-flasher-relay?WT.ac=RichAutoComplete

Or LED Flasher relay from J&P cycles for $24.95 fits nicer in the rubber mount

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Led Turn signal bulbs
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 08:57:22 PM »
Color me jaded....  I have been burned by LED bulb sellers claiming to have something as good or better.  Then they turn out to be dimmer and/or don't throw out light as well in all required directions, especially with amber/yellow bulbs.   Please, please tell us these are better than previous models!!  I do so want to replace my running/turn lights with LED versions to get rid of the heat & power drain.  Half of that bulb has no lights on it at all, so I would think the light dispersion would be rather poor, no?  I would love a photo comparison, but if you haven't converted to running lights, trying to get a photo of one incandescent and one LED, both enclosed and on at the same time would be quite difficult.

Vleds site is better than most, but here is an example of typical spec inconsistencies that even they have- if their bulb has 21 x 0.5watt LEDs (which is 10.5 watts), then how can the spec of the bulb be 14.5V x 340mA, which is only 4.93watts?

http://www.vleds.com/amber-7507-21-led-blinker-turn-signal-bulbs-bau15s-1-pair.html
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Gigantor

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 11:42:17 PM »
I understand your concerns, but I only buy LED from reputable vendors.

If you notice, the LED's or on the top and the side where they need to be. I feel safer, since the stocks look dim compared to the Led

One good thing about buying from reputable vendors, you can  return them. All my vehicles have LED.

I purchased my HID headlamp and led running lights (located under the headlight) from SOCALMOTO.

Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline Gigantor

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 11:46:38 PM »
Additionally,  though my 2014 spec calls out 1157 in front and 1156 in rear, my bike has 1156 front and rear. . .go figure

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 05:33:51 AM »
I understand your concerns, but I only buy LED from reputable vendors.

Oh, I have purchased from VLEDS before...

If you notice, the LED's or on the top and the side where they need to be. I feel safer, since the stocks look dim compared to the Led

One good thing about buying from reputable vendors, you can  return them. All my vehicles have LED.

The main issue with VLEDS is they have a restocking charge.  But I might end up trying again
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Gigantor

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 06:34:22 AM »
maxtog,

Superbright LEDs is also reputable

elp_jc

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 11:33:40 AM »
I've been disappointed with V-LEDs lately, so I don't buy from them anymore. Bought their supposedly super bright amber bulbs for the 'city lights' on our bike, and were absolute crap. An ugly washed out color that looks nothing like amber. And as Maxtog commented, they wanted me to pay both shippings plus a hefty restocking fee, so just threw them away. I also tried very similar LED bulbs but from superbrightLEDs before, and although they were supposed to be brighter than stock, the main problem is their LENGTH. The reflector is designed for the length of a regular bulb, not half longer. And that's where I think the problem lies. Mine were hyperflashing when I tried them, so couldn't quite compare them with stock bulbs (one on each side) because the incandescent couldn't acheve full brightness with the very quick blinking rate. But even then, it was pretty obvious the SIDE illumination was compromised IMO. So as much as I want LEDs on the turn-signals too, I'm going to wait for a Maxtog testimonial before doing anything, since he wants exactly the same results as I do ;D.

jirod

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 07:44:20 AM »
[...snip]
Vleds site is better than most, but here is an example of typical spec inconsistencies that even they have- if their bulb has 21 x 0.5watt LEDs (which is 10.5 watts), then how can the spec of the bulb be 14.5V x 340mA, which is only 4.93watts?

Could be an inconsistency, or they may be under driving them in that particular bulb because they can't keep the diodes cool. If the junction temperature goes way up at full rated current some LEDs produce less light, not more. Shorter life, too.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 05:19:01 PM »
Could be an inconsistency, or they may be under driving them in that particular bulb because they can't keep the diodes cool. If the junction temperature goes way up at full rated current some LEDs produce less light, not more. Shorter life, too.

Agreed- I thought about that, but also look at the lumens claim and things still don't quite add up.  Plus it would be misleading to say they are 0.5W LED's if they are way underdriven... it would be like selling a 100 watt lightbulb that really only pulls 50W and puts out half the light.  Or advertising tha a computer has a 3Ghz processor, but it can only really run at an underclocked 2Ghz max.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 03:17:03 PM »
I am replacing the turn signals with LEDs and ordered the LED compatible flasher recommended in the first post. It has a 2-wire pigtail coming from it, but when I look at what I think is the flasher on the bike, behind the right rear panel near the rear brake reservoir, it has 3 pins on it.

These are not the same. Do I have the wrong replacement or am I looking in the wrong place for the flasher?

Thanks.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 04:17:54 PM »
I am replacing the turn signals with LEDs and ordered the LED compatible flasher recommended in the first post. It has a 2-wire pigtail coming from it, but when I look at what I think is the flasher on the bike, behind the right rear panel near the rear brake reservoir, it has 3 pins on it.

These are not the same. Do I have the wrong replacement or am I looking in the wrong place for the flasher?

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17998.msg242704#msg242704  (2 pin is correct)

Offline jonathan

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 08:33:47 AM »
Thanks. I did find that after posting this so I panicked prematurely.

Now with the electronic flasher if I turn the bike off while the flashers are on then the fuel pump and instruments pulse in time with the flashers until I turn the flashers off. There must be some backfeed somewhere, so I just have to remember to turn the flashers off first.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 04:07:26 PM »
Thanks. I did find that after posting this so I panicked prematurely.

Now with the electronic flasher if I turn the bike off while the flashers are on then the fuel pump and instruments pulse in time with the flashers until I turn the flashers off. There must be some backfeed somewhere, so I just have to remember to turn the flashers off first.

Hmm, I haven't tried THAT before.  If I can remember, I will try it out.... but remembering is the hard part.  Sounds strange.

I can say I have been using my model flasher for almost a year now and it has been working very well.  Someday, if some company EVER comes out with LED bulbs that work/fit, are at least as bright as incandescent, and have a proper dispersion pattern, I will switch to them.  Been waiting 5 years....

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 07:34:45 PM »
Hmm, I haven't tried THAT before.  If I can remember, I will try it out.... but remembering is the hard part.  Sounds strange.

I can say I have been using my model flasher for almost a year now and it has been working very well.  Someday, if some company EVER comes out with LED bulbs that work/fit, are at least as bright as incandescent, and have a proper dispersion pattern, I will switch to them.  Been waiting 5 years....

I bought a couple of the sockets below from Amazon. About 2 minutes with a dremel tool and they installed right in and replaced the weird BAU15s sockets. Now I can use common 1157 bulbs that have a lot more availability. I just wired the running light lead to accessory power. There's a lot more 1157 bulbs available then the weird off-set sockets Kawasaki uses.

uxcell® Auto Car Plastic Water Resist 1157 Rear Brake Light Socket

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 07:43:36 AM »
Found these on Amazon that may hold some promise for brighter turn signal LED's. May try these on the rear.

JDM ASTAR Super Bright 5730 Chipsets 7507 1156PY BAU15S LED Bulbs with Projector, Amber Yellow

Offline Arata

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2016, 08:47:39 AM »
50.00 a pair??

Did I read that correctly?

Holy Crap!
2014 V Strom 1000
2008 C14
2004 ZRX1200R
1993 GSXR 1100

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 01:52:27 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 09:16:46 PM »
They're  $18. The web address is below.

http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Bright-Chipsets-Projector/dp/B00XV4W686?ie=UTF8&colid=3K2KTB7HRHX2A&coliid=ICZZ6Q8MHZ4XX&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl/

This is extremely interesting.   So much so that I just put two pair in my cart...
Note the correct URL that is NOT from your gift list is:  http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Bright-Chipsets-Projector/dp/B00XV4W686
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:53:18 AM by maxtog »

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2016, 12:38:31 PM »
Thanks Max, didn't know Amazon did that.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2016, 01:22:45 PM »
This is extremely interesting.   So much so that I just put two pair in my cart...

:popcorn:  I'll be keeping an eye out for your report on these max', as you and I are pretty much in agreement that, so far, LEDs just don't fill the reflector (focal problems) with enough light to equal a filament bulb. However if they can tackle it another way, it appears they have 6 chips behind the projector lens instead of the usual 1, then that will work for me. I've gone over to the "light side" on LED headlights (they're not perfect yet for our reflectors, but good enough now IMO) but, like you, I've seen nothing close in the turn signals. I hope this one is it.

They're  $18. The web address is below. You must have found something else for $50.

Pete, I think he was referring to the Original Post at the top of the thread.
Regardless, thanks for the link!  :finger_fing11:
With any luck (for us) you'll have to switch your front sockets back to the originals to use these...oh wait you used a Dremel...oh oh...OK, no luck for you.  ;)