Author Topic: 'Concours' or 'Concour'  (Read 24448 times)

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: 'Concours' or 'Concour'
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2014, 08:38:19 AM »
Connie. Takes all the stress out of it. ;D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2014, 08:41:32 AM »
I don't know/care what is the correct way to say it. I say it pronouncing the "s". EOS

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2014, 08:50:32 AM »
I studied German for a few years and lived there for a short while.  I like their system.  You pronounce all the letters in the word.  If you don't use them, why are they on there?  Good old German efficiency.  So I say it with the s, but mostly call it a Connie. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2014, 09:08:43 AM »
I say concours.  :) 

Anyone that calls it a concour is an idiot and wears an ascot and has a silk hanky folded into a triangle in their chest pocket...  :)

Better yet, just call it a ZG.  ;) ;D :chugbeer:

KISS ME ON ZEEEE LIPS RICKY BOOBY.... :-*

http://youtu.be/ptJQTT6byK0

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2014, 09:17:05 AM »
Yep, a lot of good things / ideas from that land. Like the way they have 24 hours in a day instead of two twelve hour groups. They also use the concept of 'Calender week' for dates instead of month / day a lot of the time. All of their calendars have a small KW at the start of the left row- instead of saying Wed., 18 March for example, they would state Wed. KW 22 (or whatever week that happens to be in the year). Slick system.

And by the way, even though a lot of native English speakers do not know it, English is a Germanic language. So is Dutch. A very different language group from, say, the Romance languages such as French, Italian, Spanish, etc. English grammar and structure aligns very well with German as opposed to the Romance languages.

Now, back on topic: if the Germans built a Concours, it would be pronounced "BMW" and boy- howdy would they have some trouble with BePass!

Brian

I studied German for a few years and lived there for a short while.  I like their system.  You pronounce all the letters in the word.  If you don't use them, why are they on there?  Good old German efficiency.  So I say it with the s, but mostly call it a Connie.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2014, 09:29:20 AM »
My unscientific survey shows that the following words are more often than not mispronounced:

- Realtor, most often pronounced as Real-a-tor (I have never understood where folks get that extra syllable).
- Moot, most often mispronouned as Mute, rhyming with butte.

Or maybe this is just a southern thing? In any event, I call my bike a C14. It's easier to say and to type.

Is that you southerners who somehow put an R in the word wash?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2014, 09:34:52 AM »

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2014, 09:43:51 AM »
How far south does a thing have to be to be called a southern thing?

I consider anything south of my location as "southern".  Since I grew up on Lake Superior, there is a lot of "southern".
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2014, 09:46:26 AM »
Maybe but isn't it a midwestern thing to put an r at the end of the word idea?

:rotflmao:

Brian

Is that you southerners who somehow put an R in the word wash?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2014, 09:48:10 AM »
Moo point. Like it is a cow's opinion and does not mean anything....

Sooner or later someone has to mention "One felt swoop...."

Brian

My unscientific survey shows that the following words are more often than not mispronounced:

- Realtor, most often pronounced as Real-a-tor (I have never understood where folks get that extra syllable).
- Moot, most often mispronouned as Mute, rhyming with butte.

Or maybe this is just a southern thing? In any event, I call my bike a C14. It's easier to say and to type.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2014, 09:50:57 AM »
Moo point. Like it is a cow's opinion and does not mean anything....

Sooner or later someone has to mention "One felt swoop...."

Brian

Or as I like to say it, "one smelt foop". It's a fish thing...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Bergmen

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2014, 10:21:47 AM »
Having lived in Japan, Honda is not pronounced "Hahn-dah" but "Hohn-dah" with a long "O". Nobody stateside pronounces it that way, should we get on their case for that?

In my case on the pronunciation of "Concours", I borrowed the spelling of "Concours" for the ZGRX 1200 Concours but it is pronounced with the "S", not silent. I can do that because I said so.

Dan

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2014, 10:28:08 AM »
 :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2014, 10:57:23 AM »
I'm with the S-is-NOT-silent believers.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2014, 11:46:10 AM »
So why is the German store "Spar" pronounced, "Schpar"?

Concours pronounced with no s or e. And spelled with no e. Look right on the bike, fer cryin out loud!
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2014, 12:29:12 PM »
And if there is more than one...? Concourses...Concoursi?

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2014, 01:04:50 PM »
So why is the German store "Spar" pronounced, "Schpar"?

It's actually Sh and that is the way they pronounce their S's whenever they precede a consonant.  I guess you could say they are pronouncing a letter which isn't written there, which is the opposite of the French who frequently neglect to pronounce many letters which are there.  When an S precedes a vowel it sounds more like a Z to us. 

I'm certainly no language expert, German, English or otherwise.  Just trying to reason why I seem to insist on pronouncing Concours incorrectly, even though I know the correct way.  I do always say Porsh-ah.

jirod

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2014, 01:07:23 PM »
Les ConCOUGGRR , I guess.
 :nuts: :banghead:

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2014, 01:30:26 PM »

And never forget, the "e" in 'douche' is silent.  ;)

Brian

Hey!...While we're on the topic of the "e" being silent....

I just got back from some training in the US, and how come y'all drop the "e" on the word turbine?

Or is the "turbin" pronunciation strictly a southern thing?...

Considering I was the only guy there from north of North Carolina....and I'm not even an American!

In any case, we pronounce it "Turbine", like the word "incline".

Wait a darn second...

Do you guys pronounce the word "incline", like "Inclin"?...hahaha. Ok, ok....J/K.

Didn't mean to get so off topic...
But, while we're on the topic of Motorcycles....how about all the variations in Shoei, Ohlins, and Akrapovic?

I know, I know....It's "Oh-Leens"....but I still pronounce it as Oh-Lins.
Shoei?....I pronounce it like "Shoo-ee"...always have.
A friend of mine says "Show-EE".
Whatever...lol.

Silly Vernacular....it is what it is;)
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2014, 02:13:52 PM »
I believe the word you are looking for is 'drunk'.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian