Author Topic: 2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT  (Read 2809 times)

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT
« on: May 25, 2019, 04:10:06 PM »
Can an updated GTR be around the corner?  We can always dream...  Of course, after all the stuff I’ve done to mine to get it “just the way I want it”, I wouldn’t be in the market. 

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2019-kawasaki-versys-1000-se-lt-first-ride-motorcycle-review
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: 2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 06:29:33 AM »
Definitely a light weight and looks interesting but the seat height is crazy high for most folks.  I don't think I could flat foot it at all.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline eng943

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 02:29:12 PM »
"Neighbors to the S1000XR and Multistrada?" Who do they think they are fooling with that comparison? Both of those bikes have significantly more power, nicer brakes, braided steel lines, and are overall much more capable than the Versys 1K.

Sorry Kawasaki, the Versys is a nice bike, I owned a 2015 and for the price, it was pretty nice. This LT SE is bumping up in price to much better machines in this category. I just bought a loaded leftover 2018 GS for less than this new Versys. Kawasaki is going to have a tough time selling these.     
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline O.C.

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 03:57:44 AM »
"Neighbors to the S1000XR and Multistrada?" Who do they think they are fooling with that comparison? Both of those bikes have significantly more power, nicer brakes, braided steel lines, and are overall much more capable than the Versys 1K.

Sorry Kawasaki, the Versys is a nice bike, I owned a 2015 and for the price, it was pretty nice. This LT SE is bumping up in price to much better machines in this category. I just bought a loaded leftover 2018 GS for less than this new Versys. Kawasaki is going to have a tough time selling these.   

Have you actually ridden the 2019 Versys SE GT ? 
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline eng943

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 07:11:05 AM »
Have you actually ridden the 2019 Versys SE GT ? 

As I mentioned I owned a 2015 - essentially the same bike minus CC, ESA, TFT. It was a great bike for what I paid.

If someone has $18K in their pocket for a ST / Adventure bike, there are much better choices than a $18K electronically tarted up Versys. This is the same conclusion reached in some reviews I have read, with the caveat that the base Versys makes better sense.

Now if Kawi gives the LT SE things like, Brembo brakes, braided steel lines, nicer hardware, and say 150 ish horsepower, then it's accurate to say it is "neighbors with the S1000XR and Multistrada".     

« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 08:04:08 AM by eng943 »
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 08:47:27 AM »
As I mentioned I owned a 2015 - essentially the same bike minus CC, ESA, TFT. It was a great bike for what I paid.

If someone has $18K in their pocket for a ST / Adventure bike, there are much better choices than a $18K electronically tarted up Versys. This is the same conclusion reached in some reviews I have read, with the caveat that the base Versys makes better sense.

Now if Kawi gives the LT SE things like, Brembo brakes, braided steel lines, nicer hardware, and say 150 ish horsepower, then it's accurate to say it is "neighbors with the S1000XR and Multistrada".   

So it seems that you haven't yet ridden the latest Versys 1000.

The latest Versys has Radial brakes, and no real need for Braided hoses unless of course you need/use 150 bhp (most don't )

It is also  a very different bike to the 2015 that you owned and much more than a "tarted up" version of its predecessors, it does retain the same engine and running gear of previous models but there are other major changes to the bike, it is also still reliable and affordable to run without expensive servicing costs

No doubt the S1000XR and presumable the 1260 S Multistrada are very good bikes but are still expensive by direct comparison when luggage is added for example  :) 
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline eng943

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 01:34:38 PM »

So it seems that you haven't yet ridden the latest Versys 1000.

The latest Versys has Radial brakes, and no real need for Braided hoses unless of course you need/use 150 bhp (most don't )

It is also  a very different bike to the 2015 that you owned and much more than a "tarted up" version of its predecessors, it does retain the same engine and running gear of previous models but there are other major changes to the bike, it is also still reliable and affordable to run without expensive servicing costs

No doubt the S1000XR and presumable the 1260 S Multistrada are very good bikes but are still expensive by direct comparison when luggage is added for example  :) 

As much as you may want to imply the LT SE is "very different", it just isn't. Same engine, same chassis, same running gear as my 2015. So the LT SE has electronic throttle, a quick shifter, ESA, CC, and cornering ABS. All wonderful additions, no argument there.

However, it's $17,999, and it's just a fact that there are better bikes in this category that are in the same general price range. I was within a whisker of buying an S1000XR, and did test drive it. The S1000XR is a much better bike even just at the core of engine and chassis dynamics, and would pull the paint of a Versys. I could have had a new one for under $18K, but opted for a new GS under $17K that still makes more power, more torque, shaft drive, tele-lever. Also, if I am spending premium money, I want premium hardware. Not rubber brake lines, etc.

I also looked at 2018 KTM SDGT and SA. Both could be bought for Verys LT SE money.

Nice bike, but better options are available.                     
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 03:26:39 PM by eng943 »

Offline O.C.

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 01:36:46 AM »
As much as you may want to imply the LT SE is "very different", it just isn't. Same engine, same chassis, same running gear as my 2015. So the LT SE has electronic throttle, a quick shifter, ESA, CC, and cornering ABS. All wonderful additions, no argument there.

However, it's $17,999, and it's just a fact that there are better bikes in this category that are in the same general price range. I was within a whisker of buying an S1000XR, and did test drive it. The S1000XR is a much better bike even just at the core of engine and chassis dynamics, and would pull the paint of a Versys. I could have had a new one for under $18K, but opted for a new GS under $17K that still makes more power, more torque, shaft drive, tele-lever. Also, if I am spending premium money, I want premium hardware. Not rubber brake lines, etc.

I also looked at 2018 KTM SDGT and SA. Both could be bought for Verys LT SE money.

Nice bike, but better options are available.                   

You are, of course, entitled to your view  ;) 

I purchased a Mk1 Versys 1000 in 2012 and apart from being an 'ugly duckling' it was a very fine bike   :) 

I changed it for a Yamaha Super Tenere which is an exceptional bike but for me lacked a couple of cylinders, I prefer 4 cyl bikes, so in 2016 I changed that for a GTR 1400 (Concourse, my fourth such bike) it was an  excellent bike, sadly serious and escalating health issues meant it had to be replaced with a lighter more manageable bike, ....so along came a 2017 Versys 1000, this is a mighty fine bike and provided me with excellent comfortable touring throughout the U.K and Europe, it never missed a beat, it was so good in fact that after 6000+ miles I changed it for my latest bike which is a 2019 Versys 1000 SE GT , this is the top of the range model, which when compared to the competition falls into the same price bracket,when full luggage is equated it's actually a little cheaper than some.

I researched other makes/bikes and test rode them but for me the reliability, affordable running costs and all round proven capability of the latest Versys convinced me that that was the way to go... (I have owned a couple of BMWs in the past and they were both unreliable and problematic), even the lack of shaft drive doesn't bother me as modern chains are extremely strong and reliable requiring only minimal maintenance.

Personally 150+ bhp would be wasted on me as I am able to manage very well with 120ish bhp, it meets all my needs even when touring two up with luggage, as you know the Versys 1000
engine is exceptionally 'easy'  to ride and very flexible

The Versys 1000 suits me for now and, I suspect, for some time to come, my latest one is only three months old but has already covered over 1400 miles.

I will admit that I'm still a huge fan of the Concourse, but alas the bike is just too bulky for my abilities

CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 09:58:17 AM »
This years Over the Pond Traveler {Cliff} is now in Europe riding one of these.
Kawasaki presented it to him last week to use as his bike while on his OtP ride.

Mebbe we can get him to give us a ride report when he returns..

Ride safe, Ted

Offline eng943

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 06:50:41 PM »
You are, of course, entitled to your view  ;) 

I purchased a Mk1 Versys 1000 in 2012 and apart from being an 'ugly duckling' it was a very fine bike   :) 

I changed it for a Yamaha Super Tenere which is an exceptional bike but for me lacked a couple of cylinders, I prefer 4 cyl bikes, so in 2016 I changed that for a GTR 1400 (Concourse, my fourth such bike) it was an  excellent bike, sadly serious and escalating health issues meant it had to be replaced with a lighter more manageable bike, ....so along came a 2017 Versys 1000, this is a mighty fine bike and provided me with excellent comfortable touring throughout the U.K and Europe, it never missed a beat, it was so good in fact that after 6000+ miles I changed it for my latest bike which is a 2019 Versys 1000 SE GT , this is the top of the range model, which when compared to the competition falls into the same price bracket,when full luggage is equated it's actually a little cheaper than some.

I researched other makes/bikes and test rode them but for me the reliability, affordable running costs and all round proven capability of the latest Versys convinced me that that was the way to go... (I have owned a couple of BMWs in the past and they were both unreliable and problematic), even the lack of shaft drive doesn't bother me as modern chains are extremely strong and reliable requiring only minimal maintenance.

Personally 150+ bhp would be wasted on me as I am able to manage very well with 120ish bhp, it meets all my needs even when touring two up with luggage, as you know the Versys 1000
engine is exceptionally 'easy'  to ride and very flexible

The Versys 1000 suits me for now and, I suspect, for some time to come, my latest one is only three months old but has already covered over 1400 miles.

I will admit that I'm still a huge fan of the Concourse, but alas the bike is just too bulky for my abilities

Glad you are happy, that's all that matters. Enjoy it!!

Offline O.C.

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 12:55:25 AM »
Thanks...........  I already am    ;)    :)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650