Author Topic: Six reasons why your computer repair guy hates you.  (Read 3615 times)

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Six reasons why your computer repair guy hates you.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 07:20:23 AM »
Six reasons why your computer repair guy hates you.

I am that computer repair guy...   :banghead:

And I'd guess you are, too.

I currently keep 4 desktops and 4 laptops running in my house.  Two of them very rarely experience problems.  Those are mine.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:40:07 AM »
Aren't we all, that guy.
I hate malware.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 07:46:24 PM »
But if it wasn't for idiots like those, many of would be unemployed...

I run an IT department for a university and we have been the target of directed phishing attacks for some time so our security officer sent out an email reminding all of our users that our IT department would NEVER send out an email asking our users to reply back with their username and password.  At the very bottom he attached an example of a prior phishing attack and sure enough 5 people replied back to him with their username/password  :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 07:14:20 AM »
I am truly amazed at the number of people that don't educate themselves about computer security.  There isn't that much to learn to protect yourself.

I just recently found an internet connection near where my daughter practices soccer.  The router was wide open.  Even had the default admin password.  In under a minute, I could have locked the people out of their own internet connection.  (Looking at the router interface, I'm certain I'll never buy a Netgear router.  Cisco/Linksys with Tomato firmware FTW!)

I found another one at a hotel where I stayed this past weekend.  The hotel's internet was FUBAR, but there was a wide open connection that I could receive from my room.  Probably from one of the offices in the area.

My neighbor across the street was nice enough to let me know that he could access my connection from his living room.  At the time, I had the network intentionally open, so I wasn't concerned about it.  Nice to know my router has that kind of range, though.

This is getting to be too serious a discussion for the Funny Pages.  We now return you to your regularly scheduled humor.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Stasch

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 10:14:22 AM »
PEBKAC - - - - - -  Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

Can't tell you how many times I've told people some of the same things that were in the article about how to protect themselves and safeguard things.

I get looked at like I have horns coming out of my head.  30 days later (or sooner) they have the same or worse issues.

My schedule suddenly becomes very full at that point.

PEEVE #1:

I walk by someone in any one of our departments and someone will ask:

'what did you do to the server / my PC  / internet connection (take your pick) because such and such happend?'

Me:  'When did this happen?'

Them: 'oh a couple days ago, no maybe a week ago.'

Me: 'What happened and / or what error message(s) did you get?'

Them:  'I don't remember.'

Me:  'Can you make it happen now through the same sequence of events?'

Them:  'No' or 'I don't remember what I did.  Can you fix it?'

Somehow, and in some way (and only because I walked by and they thought of it when they saw me), I must have done something to cause whatever it was that they can't remember and that happend a while ago AND I'M SUPPOSSED TO FIX IT.

PEEVE #2:

I walk by someone. 

Them:  'Oh there you are, I need something done / need help with / have a problem with (fill in the blank) and I need it done right away.'

Me:  'How long have you known about this?'

Them:  'A week / month (fill in blank) or so.'  (Sometimes its been as much as 6 weeks, I kid you not).

Me:  'And you need it done right away?'

Them:  'Yes, I haven't been able to get ahold of you.'

Me:  'You know my desk phone number with the voice mail on it that I check regularly throughout each day right?'

Them:  'Yes.'

Me:  'You know my cell phone number with the voice mail on it that I check regularly throughout each day right?'

Me:  'You know the email address scheme you've been using to send all the jokes and pictures to a bunch of your friends in the company?

Me:  'my email address works just like everyone else's.  Its my first initial and last name '@' the same company domain as your own email address.'

Them:  'Yes, I know.'

'And you have haven't been able to get ahold of me until you just now happened to see me walk by?'

'What would you have done if you hadn't happend to see me?'

Them:  (no answer)

Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline medicevans

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 06:35:36 AM »
This is why I quit fixing computers and now fix people.  Of course, idiots are idiots.......

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 07:46:23 AM »
I can relate. Among most of the people I know I am the "Go to guy" when something is broken. Computers, Cars, Playstations or whatever. Not because I am really good with any of them, I just know how to find solutions to their problems by using the internet and mostly forums like this one. And I'm a glutton for punishment.