Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 671215 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #3360 on: October 03, 2019, 03:51:51 PM »
So this one is new and sort of interesting: I am one of the last three people on the planet to have an actual wired phone (a landline) and it has been pesky with bottom- feeder calls. With the blocking feature on the phone itself as well as nomorobo, the problem is down to an acceptable if not great level. But I have been getting a new one lately that is pretty attention- getting: quite a few (multiple times per day) phone calls from..... wait for it..... me. Yep, Caller ID identifies the caller as me, by name, along with the phone's 10 digit phone number. As I have VOIP, I looked this up on my account and sure enough, I have been calling myself a lot. This just started a week ago or so.

I know Caller ID can be 'faked' in that an incorrect name and / or phone number will show but I cannot imagine why anyone would want to try spoofing me by pretending to be... me? I mean, I KNOW it is not me calling, right?

This is actually more interesting than annoying and the first really different type of phone scam I have seen in years.

I have also been getting threatening spam e-mails from somewhere accusing me of doing disgusting (matter of opinion, right?) things with underage fe- persons, and having video of same, along with my entire contact list. The threat of course is that unless I send (usually around $5,000) via BitCoin w/in two weeks, they will send said videos to everyone on my contact list. I have even gotten repeat threats from the same entity reiterating that they are not kidding, I will suffer, etc., etc.. Hey, it beats being badly wooed by a Nigerian businessman, right? Although frankly, I personally would alter the threat just because I do not find it all that threatening and not at all imaginative but hey, that is just content, not the actual idea, which I found refreshing.... the first couple times anyway.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3361 on: October 04, 2019, 04:38:33 AM »
Have you tried answering those calls from yourself?

About one minute in...

http://youtu.be/jMyD3TSXyUc
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3362 on: October 04, 2019, 05:41:57 AM »
So this one is new and sort of interesting: I am one of the last three people on the planet to have an actual wired phone (a landline) and it has been pesky with bottom- feeder calls. With the blocking feature on the phone itself as well as nomorobo, the problem is down to an acceptable if not great level. But I have been getting a new one lately that is pretty attention- getting: quite a few (multiple times per day) phone calls from..... wait for it..... me. Yep, Caller ID identifies the caller as me, by name, along with the phone's 10 digit phone number. As I have VOIP, I looked this up on my account and sure enough, I have been calling myself a lot. This just started a week ago or so.

I know Caller ID can be 'faked' in that an incorrect name and / or phone number will show but I cannot imagine why anyone would want to try spoofing me by pretending to be... me? I mean, I KNOW it is not me calling, right?

This is actually more interesting than annoying and the first really different type of phone scam I have seen in years.

I have also been getting threatening spam e-mails from somewhere accusing me of doing disgusting (matter of opinion, right?) things with underage fe- persons, and having video of same, along with my entire contact list. The threat of course is that unless I send (usually around $5,000) via BitCoin w/in two weeks, they will send said videos to everyone on my contact list. I have even gotten repeat threats from the same entity reiterating that they are not kidding, I will suffer, etc., etc.. Hey, it beats being badly wooed by a Nigerian businessman, right? Although frankly, I personally would alter the threat just because I do not find it all that threatening and not at all imaginative but hey, that is just content, not the actual idea, which I found refreshing.... the first couple times anyway.

Brian

Don't answer those calls from yourself!!!

The call is coming from INSIDE the house!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkcGm-pWwsQ
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3363 on: October 04, 2019, 07:34:48 AM »
Of course, I would love to talk with myself. But alas, when I do answer (before the second ring), I am never there. I guess I really do not want to talk to me or perhaps I get distracted and am doing something else when I answer. ??

Brian

Have you tried answering those calls from yourself?

About one minute in...

http://youtu.be/jMyD3TSXyUc
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3364 on: October 04, 2019, 07:35:29 AM »
 ;D

Don't answer those calls from yourself!!!

The call is coming from INSIDE the house!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkcGm-pWwsQ

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3366 on: October 05, 2019, 04:18:15 PM »
"A fifth of British teenagers believe Sir Winston Churchill was a fictional character, while many think Sherlock Holmes, King Arthur and Eleanor Rigby were real, a survey shows."

".... The study also shows a marked change in how people acquire their historical knowledge these days. More than three-quarters of those polled (77 per cent) admitted they did not read history books, and 61 per cent said that they changed channels rather than watch historical programmes on television." 

This according to a Telegraph poll on 4 Feb 2008.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1577511/Winston-Churchill-didnt-really-exist-say-teens.html

But I bet these folks are right up to speed on FaceTwit, and these same people get to vote.... over and over again.

Brian

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3367 on: October 05, 2019, 05:10:42 PM »
A propagandists dream.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3368 on: October 06, 2019, 06:41:38 AM »
Yeah, well it's probably the same over here with kids too.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3369 on: October 06, 2019, 07:02:41 AM »
"A fifth of British teenagers believe Sir Winston Churchill was a fictional character, while many think Sherlock Holmes, King Arthur and Eleanor Rigby were real, a survey shows."

".... The study also shows a marked change in how people acquire their historical knowledge these days. More than three-quarters of those polled (77 per cent) admitted they did not read history books, and 61 per cent said that they changed channels rather than watch historical programmes on television." 

This according to a Telegraph poll on 4 Feb 2008.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1577511/Winston-Churchill-didnt-really-exist-say-teens.html

But I bet these folks are right up to speed on FaceTwit, and these same people get to vote.... over and over again.

Brian

We're doomed. Just look at what all this stupidity equates to...

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3370 on: October 06, 2019, 11:35:04 AM »
Yeah, well it's probably the same over here with kids too.

I found that somewhat reassuring at first, that it wasn't just us (USA). However, I realized that it was just my nationalistic side being reassured. My logical side (not as large as I wished it would be) knew that wide spread stupidity isn't better than local stupidity.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3371 on: October 06, 2019, 12:54:04 PM »
Yeah, the first, somewhat comforting thought is that this is outside the US.... then the realization that a larger group of 'us' are losing ground, and badly, is even more depressing. If you have a stupid dog and find you neighbor's dog is even stupider, the overall situation is not getting better.

I think a huge part of the root problem is the spread of the Internet, both is size and scope, as well as availability; I think a very large part of the population took a really big hit when the 'Net moved to mobile devices, wireless linked, so the sheeple could be more fully absorbed into the glowing orb continuously rather than in spurts, limited to when at home. I honestly believe that today, cell phones cause more "misadventure" on the nation's roads than drunk drivers do (seriously).

All old people start off too many sentences with the words 'Kids today......' but I honestly think the young folks (say, under 30, 35) are hugely handicapped by having the real world being displaced by the digital one. Then again, I am old and I could have started that sentence with 'Kids today' so maybe it is just me. But I do not think so, just like all the other old people never did either.  ;) ;D

I found that somewhat reassuring at first, that it wasn't just us (USA). However, I realized that it was just my nationalistic side being reassured. My logical side (not as large as I wished it would be) knew that wide spread stupidity isn't better than local stupidity.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3372 on: October 07, 2019, 02:22:24 AM »
Stupids, like assholes, are a standard percentage of the population, wherever you go.
We have just as many as a percentage of the population as you do, but because of Farcebook, Twatter, and other Social Moron-media the Stupids now have a global audience with which to share their Stupidity.
Do I worry that these people get to vote,.... yes.
Do I want to do anything about it,.... yes, I want to teach them to think for themselves, to research the facts and make up their own minds, but far too many of them just can't be bothered to do any of that and seem quite happy letting power hungry demagogues and vapid self-serving "Influencers" make their decisions for them.
Then later on, when the sh!t has hit the fan because of their lack of involvement, they will claim that they were duped and conned and that we can't blame them for it. A large part of the population of Germany did EXACTLY that in the 1930s, and they are still trying to crawl out from under that burden of guilt 90 years on.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3373 on: October 07, 2019, 04:54:41 AM »
The Internet has assisted me in expanding my knowledge of everything but then I've always been the inquisitive sort.  I don't use social media that much.  Before there was the Internet I used Britannica and the library.  The Internet as a tool was the next step.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3374 on: October 07, 2019, 05:34:16 AM »
Stupids, like assholes, are a standard percentage of the population, wherever you go.
We have just as many as a percentage of the population as you do, but because of Farcebook, Twatter, and other Social Moron-media the Stupids now have a global audience with which to share their Stupidity.
Do I worry that these people get to vote,.... yes.
Do I want to do anything about it,.... yes, I want to teach them to think for themselves, to research the facts and make up their own minds, but far too many of them just can't be bothered to do any of that and seem quite happy letting power hungry demagogues and vapid self-serving "Influencers" make their decisions for them.
Then later on, when the sh!t has hit the fan because of their lack of involvement, they will claim that they were duped and conned and that we can't blame them for it. A large part of the population of Germany did EXACTLY that in the 1930s, and they are still trying to crawl out from under that burden of guilt 90 years on.

Spot on (unfortunately) and well said.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3375 on: October 07, 2019, 03:01:12 PM »
BTW- that was not any kind of knock to you Brits or anyone else- I just happened to catch that article and it happened to be about a poll taken in the UK about a very famous (although perhaps not famous enough  ::) :o  ) Brit.. I am sure the same or worse would / does happen in the US. Although I have to say it was particularly disappointing that the subject was Winnie.....

After a while, the electronic 'pipeline' into people's minds starts to suppress real sources of information. For example, one of the cornerstones of journalism (real journalism, 'the news') has always been large, independent newspapers. But with so many getting their "information" for "free" via the 'Net, subscriptions are falling off badly, which in turn causes those very pinnacles of news to erode and produce less news. About 18 times around the circle and eventually either the only thing left or at least the majority of "information" is the garbage from sites that have no credentials, experience or even desire to report real information and instead put out garbage.... and a lot of people, far too many, either do not notice or they do not care.

The same has happened with cable TV, which is yet another tentacle of the pipeline: it deteriorates to the lowest possible point until what used to be real bearers of information, such as The History Channel, no longer contains any real or useful information but garbage 'reality' shows not only do not contain any content but are not even 'real' but staged abortions. I am not quite willing to say that we are watching the decay of western society (and perhaps the entire globe) but I am very sure we are on what will no doubt be a dip in the curve regarding humans' long, slow climb to better places.

Brian

<snip>

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3376 on: October 07, 2019, 03:44:03 PM »
The same has happened with cable TV, which is yet another tentacle of the pipeline: it deteriorates to the lowest possible point until what used to be real bearers of information, such as The History Channel, no longer contains any real or useful information but garbage 'reality' shows not only do not contain any content but are not even 'real' but staged abortions.

Exactly, what used to be my favorite channel.... now crap.  Which is exactly what happened to the "Learning Channel" and "Discovery Channel", both were excellent many years ago.  Now they are full of reality crap.  I am so pissed I have to pay over $100/mo to get what few shows left I watch.  And they wonder why people are dropping cable left and right.  I am sure the Science Channel is going to go the same way.... just waiting...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3377 on: October 07, 2019, 03:57:17 PM »
Ah, I think it is the other way.... it is not the television networks driving garbage up our..... er, down our throats, it is the public demanding the garbage in the first place. The networks are just following the source of the money, which is the numbers of viewers. So the general tendency for everything to reach the same low level is simply what the majority of the people want, apparently.

This is the wrong thread but just to add a thought to the above, I find myself watching a lot of YouTube lately, again due to content. Up until recently I thought it was basically old people taking videos of their cats but after stumbling around for a bit, there are some really  excellent 'channels' on YouTube if one looks for them. For example Applied Science, where a guy tinkers around in his garage and studies thing and conjures up things. Just like a lot of us.... except this guy builds things like Scanning Electron Microscopes that actually work.

Brian

Exactly, what used to be my favorite channel.... now crap.  Which is exactly what happened to the "Learning Channel" and "Discovery Channel", both were excellent many years ago.  Now they are full of reality crap.  I am so pissed I have to pay over $100/mo to get what few shows left I watch.  And they wonder why people are dropping cable left and right.  I am sure the Science Channel is going to go the same way.... just waiting...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3378 on: October 07, 2019, 06:03:59 PM »
This is the wrong thread but just to add a thought to the above

It is a thread about nothing, so anything is not nothing, so it really isn't any kind of thread :)

I find myself watching a lot of YouTube lately, again due to content.

Ditto!  I am actually watching about an hour a day or more now.... a lot of it political, since we can't get accurate political news and commentary on TV anymore (because almost all of it is so heavily slanted in one direction).  But also reviews of products, how-to's, history blurbs, etc.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3379 on: October 08, 2019, 06:49:17 AM »
I'm watching a heck of a lot of Youtube lately as well...  Once my contract with Dish is over, I'm ditching it and going completely broadband for access to tv shows.