Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 671220 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #680 on: May 01, 2012, 03:26:33 PM »
Bill Paxton.... the only one to be killed by a Terminator, an Alien and a Predator.

In order: Terminator (1984), Aliens (1986) and Predator II (1990).

The only other one to appear in all three franchises was Lance Henriksen who was in Terminator (playing an L.E.O.), Aliens and Alien Vs. Predator.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #681 on: May 01, 2012, 06:27:10 PM »
What, nothing about florescent bulbs?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #682 on: May 01, 2012, 06:55:01 PM »
Well....., er, no. Turn switch, bulb go on.... turn switch again, bulb go off- not much to comment on really.

Well maybe a set of those mid- 1940 fluorescent Christmas lamps would be interesting.

Brian

What, nothing about florescent bulbs?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #683 on: May 02, 2012, 09:05:05 AM »
I am at 620 miles on one tank of fuel and I still have an 1/8th of a tank left.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #684 on: May 02, 2012, 10:24:12 PM »
I am at 620 miles on one tank of fuel and I still have an 1/8th of a tank left.

Diesel VW?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #685 on: May 02, 2012, 10:26:35 PM »
Diesel VW?

Chet is always running on an 1/8 of a tank...  ;)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #686 on: May 02, 2012, 11:16:12 PM »
Diesel VW?
Yup, Jetta TDI.

Chet is always running on an 1/8 of a tank...  ;)
Full today, I was reading at bingo when I filled up, 657 miles, 14 gallons, just shy of 47 MPG.  Not too shaby.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #687 on: May 03, 2012, 04:58:43 AM »
Yup, Jetta TDI.Full today, I was reading at bingo when I filled up, 657 miles, 14 gallons, just shy of 47 MPG.  Not too shaby.

Nice! With the warm weather I'm getting great mpg numbers in my TDI too, mid 40's in mixed driving.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #688 on: May 03, 2012, 06:30:59 AM »

Nice! With the warm weather I'm getting great mpg numbers in my TDI too, mid 40's in mixed driving.

Mixed driving?  Is that with your wife?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #689 on: May 03, 2012, 08:19:56 AM »
Mixed driving?  Is that with your wife?

Yep, ~60% highway ~40% city. We've been having LOTS of rain lately so I've been taking the cage. I drop my wife off where she works, since it's on the way, and I then take the car to work myself.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #690 on: May 03, 2012, 03:39:43 PM »
The differences between soldering and brazing are subtle enough that it is difficult to tell where the line is. So for industrial use, the reference is always to 'hard solder' or 'soft solder' with materials like lead, tin and antimony being in the 'soft' category and materials like bronze, silver and assorted alloys being in the 'hard' category.

Of course when used here, the terms hard and soft have absolutely nothing to do with the hardness or softness of anything involved; it is a reference to the melting temperature of the filler metals being used. If the melting point is below 800 F, it is soft solder while a melting temp. over 800 F is considered hard solder. It all makes perfect sense…. sure it does.

None of that should ever get confused with welding, which is not defined by the hardness of anything nor the melting temperature of anything- welding is defined as joining two materials together with the same filler material. Unless, of course, one is welding two different materials together at which point it is still welding but no longer fits the first rule of welding. But the filler material is still the same as the two parent materials, even though one parent material is different. Hmmm. Well, it is always called welding if electricity is used as the main heat source, even if the filler material is different. Unless of course the filler material is not really weldable with the parent material and then the process (still using electrodes and electricity) is called something else like 'hardfacing'. See.... it is really pretty simple.

Brian
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 05:23:01 PM by B.D.F. »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #691 on: May 03, 2012, 05:06:40 PM »
and then there is forge welding.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #692 on: May 08, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »
I haven't said this here for over a month. In case some of you didn't know, my idiot brother-in-law the cop is an idiot.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Conrad

« Reply #693 on: May 08, 2012, 11:46:38 AM »
I haven't said this here for over a month. In case some of you didn't know, my idiot brother-in-law the cop is an idiot.

How big of an idiot is he Boss?    ;)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #694 on: May 08, 2012, 11:58:52 AM »
Some brand or product names are so iconic that the very company name is used to (often erroneously) refer to the product itself. Common names like Velcro (Velcro is a company's name, the product is 'hook and loop' fastener), Kleenex (Kleenex is a specific brand name, the actual name of the product is a facial tissue), etc. etc. One such brand is Formica, which in the US is usually used to refer to any laminate (plastic) countertop material, also has an interesting history. While Formica gained rapid fame and widespread use after WW II in the US, the company was actually formed by two men back in 1913, long before the countertop product was thought of. The original product was actually cloth that was covered in resin and then cured to make a thin, light and excellent electrical insulator. In fact, it was originally invented for, and used as an electrical insulator, specifically as a man- made replacement for mica. And there is the key to the company's name.... a company that made a material meant as a substitute for mica. The stuff's insulating properties have not been used for many years and its actual origins generally forgotten but the original intent lives on in its name: Formica.

Brian

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #695 on: May 08, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »
Hoover and Xerox come to mind...

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #696 on: May 12, 2012, 09:47:59 PM »
top~
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #697 on: May 15, 2012, 02:56:28 PM »
Carolyn Davidson- very few people know who she is but the great majority of us are familiar with her work, at least one example. One of her creations would become nothing short of an international icon, easily one of the most recognizeable symbols in the world.

While a graphic design student in the early 70's, Carolyn was approached by an instructor at the university she was attending and asked to create a company logo. Getting paid at the rate of $2 / hour, she charged the gentleman $35 for the design. His response was 'I don't love it but maybe it will grow on me' and did use the logo for his start- up company's logo. Carolyn continued to work for this new company unitl 1983 at which time the founder had a party for her and gave her a diamond ring like the very logo she designed years earlier. At this party he mentioned that while he did agree to pay her that hourly rate, he never thought she would spend 17 1/2 hours on the job. As a token of appreciation, he presented her with a diamond ring engraved with the very logo she created, and 500 shares of company stock; the stock was worth around $1 / share at that time but Davidson held onto the stock through the its ups and downs as well as stock splits; today those shares have become 8,000, and at a price of $100 each, worth well over 3/4 of a million dollars. A nice gesture on the part of the company, and fitting payment for services rendered in my opinion.

The founder's name is Phil Knight.

The company's name is Nike.

The Logo is called the Nike 'swoosh', and this is a photo of Carolyn Davidson and her logo.

Photo courtesy of the UK daily Mail

Brian

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #698 on: May 15, 2012, 03:04:15 PM »
Wow.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #699 on: June 04, 2012, 07:38:37 PM »
60 degrees and raining here in the PNW today, I love summer...  :-\   :banghead: