Author Topic: Honda CR250R  (Read 1820 times)

Offline snarf

• Arena
Honda CR250R
« on: August 02, 2013, 08:06:33 PM »
Okay so my daughter is getting married. Her fiancee was selling his 2002 CR250R in order to afford her ring.  I bought it from him and plan on giving it back to him as a wedding gift.

I took the bike out yesterday and it seems to bog down real bad when I roll on the gas.  I didn't know a darn thing about these bikes. I have read somethings about the RC valve?
I'm just looking for starting point.  I already plan on cleaning the carbs.
Thanks for any info in advance.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 08:12:57 AM by snarf »
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Honda CR250R
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
I bought it from him and plan on giving it back to him as a wedding gift.

Nice! :thumbs:

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 12:02:33 PM »
Well of course it could be lots of things. Hopefully just a carb' problem. Could be a spark plug problem as well. Assuming that it has been warmed up sufficiently, I've had similar 2 stroke response with bad crank shaft seals. Starts and runs fine until you give some gas and the crankcase pressure goes up, then the intake charge starts blowing out the seals. Other than my weed eater, my 2 stroke experience is all from the '70s and none of it involved liquid cooling. I've no experience with RC valves, but if I understand the Wiki' explanation correctly then I don't think it would cause a bog, although it would effect performance at lower RPM.

Sounds like you're going to be the Father-in-Law we all dreamed of getting someday.  8)

Offline CADMAN97

• 2010 C14 ABS
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 06:45:25 AM »
I don't know too much about 2 stroke engines, but my experience with what your describing relates to my 1997 Yamaha warrior I owned years ago. When I would get on the gas it would fall flat on its face...well what I discoverd was the main jet had back'd itself out & was sitting on bottom of bowl in the carb so the bike was gettin toooo much fuel when opened up. I screwed er back in & wa' la' the bike ran great again. Good luck with the CR250R...pretty awesome your helping your daughter/son-in-law out like that  :thumbs:
1998 Honda Magna--->Sold | 2003 Yamaha FZ1--->Sold | 2003 Honda VFR800--->Sold | 2010 Honda VFR1200--->Sold | Kawasaki C14--->SOLD | 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000--->Current | 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES--->Current

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 05:59:21 AM »
Snarf, I just did a piston and ring replacement on my nephew's 2004? kx110, along with a general top to bottom servicing.  If i'm understanding the part you're talking about (without looking it up), just take it out and soak it in carb cleaner for awhile then use a brass or weak steal brush to scrub it clean.  Get all of the carbon off of it so it moves freely.  Might need a pick on some of it.  There's usually a cover of some sort them a small e-clip that attaches some linkage to it.  If the bike's rings haven't been replaced in a while, it might be wise to do them now.  If he is not racing, most of the gaskets are reuseable with a little spray-tack or Yamabond.  Most gaskets are pretty inexpensive though.  Flush the coolant then blow air thru it before you take it apart.  2-strokes are a piece of cake - really simple.

By the way, treat the carb just like one of ours, take it apart and clean each and every passage out.  The float may not be adjustable, but be careful with it.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington