Author Topic: New Concours owner with a fix for the broke windshield brkt.  (Read 867 times)

Offline LeeV

New Concours owner with a fix for the broke windshield brkt.
« on: September 02, 2020, 07:08:11 PM »
This may not be the place for this but wanted to show off my windshield brkt fix.

I purchased a 2008 last week but the windshield brkt was broken.  Got a great deal on the bike and am extremely happy with it so far.  Took the windshield off and drove it like that for about a week while I came up with the brkt design and had it fabricated.  Need to get a tune but the bike already has most of the stuff I wanted, sargeant seat, Cee Bailey windscreen, Slip on exhaust.  Just order Ronnies highway pegs and hope to have those early next week.

Any way, this is what I came up with.  All of the parts are made from 304 Stainless steel with the exception of the two teflon sliders.   Here are a couple of screen shots.  I'll try to add a pic in a minute.

Lee

Offline LeeV

Re: New Concours owner with a fix for the broke windshield brkt.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 07:10:54 PM »
Here's the pic

Offline LeeV

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 07:41:21 PM »
Front side.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 08:09:12 PM »
That's amazing,  I assume you  installed it and it works? Tell us how you did it and how much it cost.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 08:50:47 PM »
I purchased a 2008 last week but the windshield brkt was broken.  Got a great deal on the bike and am extremely happy with it so far.  Took the windshield off and drove it like that for about a week while I came up with the brkt design and had it fabricated.

That is pretty amazing!  Although not a common failure, it does happen.  You might get an occasional person on the forums with need for your resources.

Just ordered Ronnies highway pegs and hope to have those early next week.

Wow, glad he is still making those.  It is really quality stuff.  Mine have held up really well and looks positively "integrated", you will be impressed.  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=6630.msg100812#msg100812

The sad thing is no more Canyon Cages being made :(
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline LeeV

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 09:01:45 PM »
Yes, I have it installed.  Tried to post another pic but it says it's too big.  I'm not very savvy about posting.

I need run it for a little while before I would consider offering this to other people although I can't see how it would do more damage then what's already broken.

Lee

Offline LeeV

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 09:12:07 PM »
Here it is installed

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 05:27:03 AM »
Yes, I have it installed.  Tried to post another pic but it says it's too big.  I'm not very savvy about posting.

Use an application to lower the resolution to 2MP or around 1600x1200, or change the resolution on your camera to something much lower.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline LeeV

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 06:10:20 AM »
Thanks, I figured out how to do that last night.  Took a little while to figure it out though.

Got the bike up to 110 very briefly this morning and everything looks great.  Really nice having a functional windshield again.  I couldn't ride a naked bike too much but they sure look cool.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 12:16:40 PM »
Here are some screenshots of the mount from the 3d software.

The mount is made on three parts tig welded together.  I had to do three parts to get the same crown that the original mount has.  Works really well up to 70 so far, it's been raining here so I haven't had the opportunity to run it up faster.  I definitely feels solid at speed though.  I bought the bike broken so I don't know what the factory mount felt like.

Still need to tweek one of the teflon parts.  Would it be worth while to try to sell some of these?

Lee

Seems unlikely to be worth the effort, however if you make up 10 or so and put them up on a shelf you might sell them in 10 years or so. Not at a profit however, unless your time needs filling and you get partial payback by being an asset to your fellow man.

If I recall correctly, most that have broken this part have only broken the plastic part not the metal track. You are saying that the metal track was broken ("cracked") on yours?....or was it just lost during the P.O. repair attempts? Any photos of the original cracked track? or is it gone?

Regardless, nice excellent repair/fabrication job Lee, and welcome to the C14 fold.  :thumbs:

Offline LeeV

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 06:06:50 PM »
The casting cracked on mine, if you look closely you can see it in one of the pics.

I did make some extra parts and thought about throwing them on eBay to see if there was any interest.  I would probably charge about $150 and make a little money.  Definitely not going to get rich but $150 is alot better then the $600 a new assembly would cost and this is alot stronger the way the front is braced.  I don't see this failing again.  I would imagine people are correct when they say this failure is related to large windshields.  Mine is a pretty tall CeeBailey unit.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 04:30:29 PM »
The casting cracked on mine, if you look closely you can see it in one of the pics.

I did make some extra parts and thought about throwing them on eBay to see if there was any interest.  I would probably charge about $150 and make a little money.  Definitely not going to get rich but $150 is alot better then the $600 a new assembly would cost and this is alot stronger the way the front is braced.  I don't see this failing again.  I would imagine people are correct when they say this failure is related to large windshields.  Mine is a pretty tall CeeBailey unit.

LeeV Did you decide to sell these?  I am looking at 2011 with my friend Mike that needs this.  Post the eBay link if you have one or send me a pm with purchase details.

Offline LeeV

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 12:05:46 PM »
I sent you a PM.  I'm not sure if there is a requirement for so many posts before I can send a pm though.

Let me know if you didn't get it.

I have a couple of them welded up but have not put them up on ebay yet.

Lee

Offline LeeV

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 12:26:11 PM »
I can verify that mine is good up to 125 mph though.  Only hit this on a short stretch of road though. I have done alot of 90 mph cruising and the windshield works fine at speed going up and down.

The most important thing will be to not over tighten the nut.  The bracket needs to slide up and down freely with the bracket pretty loose feeling.  I used a lock nut and lock tight on mine to be sure it doesn't loosen up.

It will flop a little front to back sitting still (just like my fjr1300 did)  but at speed the wind pressure keeps it steady.  The pressure is put on the teflon bushing resting in the track.

The only mod I had to make to the casting was to drill the hole that is already there out to just over .200" for the M5 screw.  The hole on mine was about .187 (3/16") so it's very easy to drill out.

Lee