Author Topic: Ronnie's highway pegs  (Read 11461 times)

Offline Z71

Ronnie's highway pegs
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:51:16 PM »
These were described in several threads and photos were posted about a year ago.  Are these still available from the guy who makes them?  The original cost was about $ 240 I think.

Offline fc1reed

Re: Ronnie's highway pegs
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:59:48 PM »
I was looking at them also. I believe this will help.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=386.0

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 07:59:14 AM »
I LOVE these for finding a different position to provide relief to the knees.  If your inseam is any greater than 32 you may want to take a look at these:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,31715.0.html

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 08:18:09 AM »
I'm looking at ordering Buck's highway peg, the ones from Ronnie don't look like they would make much of a difference to me. My inseam is 30" but I like to stretch out more than what Ronnie's  allows.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline daneo

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 08:54:51 AM »
Ive put a few thousand miles on mine and like them alot.After a knee replacement I couldnt go for my week long rides with out them    BUCKS pegs that is
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:36:46 AM by daneo »

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 11:35:52 AM »
I'm looking at ordering Buck's highway peg, the ones from Ronnie don't look like they would make much of a difference to me. My inseam is 30" but I like to stretch out more than what Ronnie's  allows.

If you wear boots your lower calf will rest comfortably on Ronnie's pegs making it recliner like, do you want a photo?  At 30" the Ronnie's are PERFECT!  I just prefer the look of Ronnie's and the solid attaching, not to say Buck's are not.   

Offline krsron

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 04:54:57 PM »
Anyone with Buck's highway pegs out there.  Do you like or not.  I've considered Ronnies, but don't think they will fit my 34 inseam.

Offline donmoe

• My 2013 Triumph Trophy SE at Lake Okeechobee, FL
    • Don Moe's Travel Website
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 06:59:19 AM »
I installed Ronnie's pegs prior to my 19K, 100-day, cross-country trip last summer from Florida to Seattle and really, really, really liked having them. They're very sturdy and were quite easy to install. The only change I would make to them would be to have a rubber endcaps so that I wouldn't scrape my shins when I have to duck walk the bike when parking if I forget to flip them vertical. I'm 6'4" with 34" inseam. Most of the time I just rested my boots on top of the pegs, but I could also stretch out my legs to rest my calfs on them.

On the return leg of my trip, I stopped by Ronnie's home in Nixa, Missouri and had a very nice visit with him and his wife, Sandy. He also gave me a nice tour of his very well equipped machine shop behind his home.

Don

p.s. I put a website together with a travelogue and numerous photos of the bike and from my trip.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2010 Concours 14 ABS (wrecked)
2008 Concours 14 ABS (traded)
2004 BWM R1150RT (sold)
1981 KZ1000
1974 Z1 (sold)
1973 H1 (traded 1974)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 06:47:31 PM »
Don, welcome to the forum from another MSTAer. I also have Ronnie' pegs on my 08. Hope to see you at STAR.

Ninja Bob
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 08:09:32 PM »
Guess what came in the mail today!  (No, not the cat- I tried three times to get him to go away for the picture and finally just gave up).  Hopefully I can install Friday.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 08:11:02 PM »
(No, not the cat- I tried three times to get him to go away for the picture and finally just gave up). 

:rotflmao:

They are a funny bread for sure Max! Don't ask me how I know...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 08:25:04 PM »

:rotflmao:

They are a funny bread for sure Max! Don't ask me how I know...

I mean, the moment I first tried, WHAM, he is laying on it.  So I shoo him away, get lined up again, have the correct shot, and WHAM, there is an arm and paw going across the shot.  Of course, when I gave up and just took it, THEN he stayed out of the area of the pegs.  I suppose I could have cropped him out at that point, but whatever.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 09:29:44 PM »
And it is done (yesterday)!  Installation took a bit longer than expected, even with the help of my friend who is a master mechanic.  The fit was perfect and the quality of the workmanship is stellar.  The instructions are clear and easy to follow.  The clearance to touching the fairing on the left side is only about 1.5mm, which is a bit close.   Almost a cm on the right.

I have put 150 miles on the bike, since.  The highway pegs act as spacers to the stock pegs, pushing out the stock out a little on both sides, which does take a while to get used to.  The difference with my feet on the highway pegs  is quite startling and unexpected.  More importantly, it is very welcome.  I am using them as an "alternative" position, and find them quite a natural location, not at all awkward.  When using them, I find it most comfortable to slide all the way to the front of the seat (as opposed to center of the seat for the stock pegs.)  After using the highway pegs a while, moving my feet back to the stock pegs feels awkward, but after a moment, I do feel more "in control" :)

Something else I didn't expect is that the highway pegs being down does invade my leg space for ground maneuvers.   I can end up touching them when putting down or picking up my feet at stops.  Nothing I can't get used to, and they fold up (and down) nicely, which can be done with my feet while moving.

Right side pictures:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 09:30:51 PM »
Left side pictures:

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 12:20:14 AM »
Looks almost OEM. 8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline BlueC14

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 09:47:33 PM »
'10 Connie - Just wanted to weigh in on Ronnie's Highway Pegs that I installed today.  I have to say that Ronnie has done an amazing job with these pegs.  As stated above, they look OEM and fit perfectly!  Craftsmanship is amazing!

I know the very basics of mechanics and what Ronnie provides in the way of instructions, not to mention making himself available, is top notch.  I taped both the picture diagram and the printed instructions that Ronnie provided, to the side of my bike and simply followed along.  When I reached out to Ronnie for clarification (again, not a mechanic but a banker - 'nough said ;-)  he was willing to hang on the line until I got it figured out - now that's a stand-up guy!

Once finished with the install I rolled out to the pavement and found some straight-away to test the pegs.  I knew immediately this was the ticket!  It may not be the highway pegs we're familiar with on a cruiser or dresser but I think these will make all the difference in the world when you just need to find a different position to stretch a bit.  I would recommend them highly!

Ronnie provides pretty much everything you'll need.  And the few other tools needed you've probably got in your own toolbox (e.g., in place of the t-handle tap tool, I reached into the toolbox and improvised, using a small metric hand ratchet).  And, just remember, these aren't made for city cruising; they should be deployed for highway, only, and remember to flip them up when you get into traffic.  Other than that, my knees are going to be so very grateful ... thank you, Ronnie!
Dreamed of being a Harley guy but Connie called me ...
1987 Honda Helix 250cc Scooter - bought/started riding in 2009 (sold)
2010 Kawa Concours14 / Ronnie's Highway Pegs, Kaoko Throttle Lock

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 03:35:28 PM »
'10 Connie - Just wanted to weigh in on Ronnie's Highway Pegs that I installed today.  I have to say that Ronnie has done an amazing job with these pegs.  As stated above, they look OEM and fit perfectly!  Craftsmanship is amazing!

Told ya!

Once finished with the install I rolled out to the pavement and found some straight-away to test the pegs.  I knew immediately this was the ticket!  It may not be the highway pegs we're familiar with on a cruiser or dresser but I think these will make all the difference in the world when you just need to find a different position to stretch a bit.  I would recommend them highly!

Yeah, I even hesitate to call them "Highway Pegs" as much as "Alternate Pegs".  They are not designed to have you in some freaky, legs-up position like on a HD.  But as an alternate place to put your feet, they are just enough change to make a great deal of difference.

And, just remember, these aren't made for city cruising; they should be deployed for highway, only, and remember to flip them up when you get into traffic. 

They do take a bit of getting used to.  I have hit them when putting my feet down for a stop before, and also had my pant leg caught on one.  Generally, it is just a matter of being aware they are there.  I agree that it is best to leave them "up" when city riding, I just flip them down/up (with my feet while moving!) when needed.

Offline timbo

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 05:14:31 PM »
I agree with you guys! I just installed mine and love them. Excellent quality.  :thumbs:

Offline redbraid

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 07:43:57 PM »
Was thinking about getting these for my 08. Does anyone have these already in the Chicagoland area? Would like to see and or feel what they would do for my knees.

Offline timbo

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 09:56:57 AM »
I'm about 5 hrs south of you. If you get down to southern IL, let me know. I'm in Mt. Vernon.