Author Topic: Floor Jack.  (Read 5721 times)

Offline Tele130

Floor Jack.
« on: February 05, 2013, 12:29:41 PM »
I've been shopping for a way to raise my C-10 high enough to remove the wheel.  The 2"X4" trick under the center stand makes me a  little nervous.  So I found this.  What do you think?

Place it just forward of the center stand?  And yes, the black extension's come off.  Rated at 1100 lbs for under $70.00 shipped.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Tele130

Re: Floor Jack.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 12:32:28 PM »
Once I remove the front wheel, I'll lower the front forks into the front stand I have..............just FYI. :chugbeer:

Doug Colton

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 03:48:55 PM »
I guess it would be stable enough if it was bolted down, but it looks kinda narrow and short. 

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 03:28:15 PM »
That makes me more nervous that a 2x4 under the center stand.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »
That makes me more nervous that a 2x4 under the center stand.
Why?  If I may ask.

Doug Colton

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 06:06:05 AM »
High CG and narrow jack.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 06:35:32 AM »
High CG and narrow jack.

Well?  It only goes as high as you jack it. And it won't fold like the center stand on a 2"X4"could. 

Doug Colton

Offline Billy

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 08:39:52 AM »
I have that same style jack. Originally bought to use with old KZ with center stand removed. It actually work great and is way more stable than those pictures would lead you to believe. The black adjustable lift posts are also completely useful. I haven't found a good motorcycle jack that's cheaper, however, there are more expensive ones that are less versatile.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 08:50:53 AM »
I have that same style jack. Originally bought to use with old KZ with center stand removed. It actually work great and is way more stable than those pictures would lead you to believe. The black adjustable lift posts are also completely useful. I haven't found a good motorcycle jack that's cheaper, however, there are more expensive ones that are less versatile.

:thumbs:  Thanks.  I just pulled the trigger on one.

Doug Colton

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 10:05:02 AM »
I guess I don't understand why you think the bike on the center stand on a 2x4 is not stable, or at least less stable than the jack?  Heck, make it a 2x6, which is what I use. I have some left over scrap that I use.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 03:36:18 PM »
I guess I don't understand why you think the bike on the center stand on a 2x4 is not stable, or at least less stable than the jack? I don't know either.  I just don't feel comfortable with that method.  Besides, it's only going to give me 2" in height, not to account for any height lost if the center stand sinks into the 2"X4"? Heck, make it a 2x6, which is what I use. I have some left over scrap that I use.

The base of this jack is 12" (counting the 3"extensions on either side).  I'm going to install concrete anchors into my garage floor and use eye bolts with stop nuts and washers up about 1/4 of the thread height away from the eyelet.  Thread those through the holes on the jack's base extensions and then add a set of tie-down straps that are wrapped around the top of the bikes frame and hook the other end to the eye bolts in the floor.  Overkill?  Probably.  Blame it on the Air Force ;D 

Doug Colton

enim57

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 07:58:20 PM »
For rear wheel just leave it on centre stand and remove the 4 nuts holding the final drive. Remove axle and final drive (keep it in same position as on bike or oil can be spilt). Slide wheel out backward and side ways. If you find this difficult remove left muffler.  Removal of final drive allows you to lubricate the drive spline and ring gear which is when I do it, every rear tyre change. Instalation is reverse except muffler (if removed) is last.

For front wheel I use a screw up bottle jack under the sump with a piece of 16mm thick chipboard between jack & sump to spread the load and protect the sump. With bike on centre stand screw the jack up until the rear wheel is firmly on the ground, bike is very stable with 4 contact points on the ground. Remove calipers from forks and let them hang. Turn handlebars fully to one side (left or right doesn't matter) and remove axle and let speedo drive hang. Slide wheel out forward and sideways. Instalation is reverse.

Regards, Russell

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 03:07:21 PM »
Well, the only way a center stand is going to sink into a 2x is if it is rotten. You can put a Goldwing a 2x and it ain't gonna sink into it.

Good luck on the lift though. Everybody has a different way of doing things. Yous is just one of many  :thumbs:

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 06:35:50 PM »
So I found this. 

Could you share more info - where, model, etc
thanks
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline Tele130

Doug Colton

Offline Bikenagain

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
I just use a 2 X 6 under the centre stand and put a racket strap from the centre stand cross member through the front rim and back to the centre stand. No chance of the stand folding up.

Offline Bart

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 09:43:51 PM »
I use this style jack. Stable but I would not move the bike while it is in the air. Bought a different one and paid about $60 a couple of years ago locally so no shipping charges.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-atv-motorcycle-lift-2792.html

Offline jeffrey van donselaar

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 07:35:43 AM »
I use this,
http://www.harborfreight.com/high-position-motorcycle-lift-99887.html

I just use real ratchet straps instead of the ones that came with it.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 06:20:36 PM »
I do what bikenagain does too, but I have a bolt screwed into the front face of the 2X6 and I tie off the center stand with that.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50