Author Topic: Kawasaki Shelves Concours 14P Motorcycle  (Read 12364 times)

Offline BMahar

Kawasaki Shelves Concours 14P Motorcycle
« on: August 15, 2012, 08:58:56 AM »

An electrical recall has imperiled the prospects of Kawasaki's reentry into the police motorcycle market.

August 14, 2012  |  by Paul Clinton - Also by this author

Photo: Jose Ybarra

Kawasaki Motors Corp. has suspended its Concours 14P police motorcycle program, after determining that dealer modifications were causing a blown main fuse, increasing the risk of a crash.

Kawasaki's decision deals a blow to the cycle's prospects for wider police adoption and curtails the return to the police motorcycle market of a company that produced the "CHiPS"-era KZ1000P.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) issued a recall notice in April for Concours 14P motorcycles produced during the 2009-2012 model years. The recall affects 268 motorcycles that were equipped with police equipment by Idaho-based Kawasaki dealers Beaudry Motors and BMS Inc.

When contacted by POLICE Magazine, Kawasaki's Mark Hosbach said the bike is no longer being sent out to dealers for law enforcement sales.

"We're currently on hold through the end of the year for shipping any Concours for upfitment for law enforcement as a result of the NHTSA recall," said Hosbach, the senior manager for the Concours 14P project. "We do not sell a police bike and at this time Kawasaki endorses no upfitter for law enforcement."

Police equipment such as emergency lighting, radios, and other gear powered by a second battery were causing the cycle's 30-amp main fuse to blow in some cases, according to NHTSA documents. If the fuse blows, the engine may stall, and the vehicle could crash.

In April, Kawasaki sent letters to its law enforcement clients informing them to bring the motocycles to dealers for the fix.

One of the motorcycle's biggest customers, the California Highway Patrol, has taken its 65 Concours 14P enforcement cycles to dealers who have addressed the issue, agency spokeswoman Fran Clader told POLICE Magazine.

"None of our motocycles had experienced any issues," Clader said. "There were no problems detected ... The safety of our officers is our number one priority."

In August of 2010, C.H.P. fleet managers signed a purchase agreement with Beaudry to begin replacing its fleet of nearly 400 BMW motorcycles with Kawasaki Concours 14Ps. The agency is expected to go out to bid for a new motorcycle contract later this year, Clader said.

Other agencies who have purchased the bike include the Arizona Department of Public Safety, Idaho State Police, and Mesa (Ariz.) Police Department.

The problem was first reported to Kawasaki by a law enforcement agency in November of 2011. On March 23, Kawasaki determined the equipment installed by Beaudry and BMS had caused the detect and decided to issue a recall, according to the NHTSA documents.

The motorcycle also will not be tested by the Michigan State Police's Precision Driving Unit at the annual testing of law enforcement vehicles in September, Sgt. Matt Rogers tells POLICE Magazine. When it was tested in 2010, the motorcycle edged the competition in acceleration, top speed and quickest braking.
2011 Concours ABS, Black

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Kawasaki Shelves Concours 14P Motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 09:02:57 AM »
This isn't good news at all.  I wonder what the 'fix' is, though?

Thanks for the updated information,  :goodpost:    even though the news be bad.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 09:28:25 AM »

Knowing Kawi its remove a shield and throw it away or replace the fuse with a penny
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Andy

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 10:37:16 AM »
Well if the recall only affected the Idaho-based Beaudry Motors and BMS Inc. and no Probity 1400 Enforcers out of Arizona had problems why are they dumping the whole thing  ???? I think Mama Kaw should let Probity continue with theirs since theirs have had no problems. Just my 2 cents FWIW  :-\ .

God made some cops perfect, the rest he put in cars!
2009 ZG1400, Shoodaben MRP, V&H CS1, MCE bars, SE handlebars, CalSci X screen.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 10:40:02 AM »
Cuz BMW or Honda padded someone's pockets
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 11:29:52 AM »
OUCH!!!

http://www.policemag.com/Blog/Vehicles/Story/2012/08/Kawasaki-Shelves-Concourse-14P-Motorcycle.aspx

Kawasaki Motors Corp. has suspended its Concours 14P police motorcycle program, after determining that dealer modifications were causing a blown main fuse, increasing the risk of a crash.

Kawasaki's decision deals a blow to the cycle's prospects for wider police adoption and curtails the return to the police motorcycle market of a company that produced the "CHiPS"-era KZ1000P.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) issued a recall notice in April for Concours 14P motorcycles produced during the 2009-2012 model years. The recall affects 268 motorcycles that were equipped with police equipment by Idaho-based Kawasaki dealers Beaudry Motors and BMS Inc.

When contacted by POLICE Magazine, Kawasaki's Mark Hosbach said the bike is no longer being sent out to dealers for law enforcement sales.

"We're currently on hold through the end of the year for shipping any Concours for upfitment for law enforcement as a result of the NHTSA recall," said Hosbach, the senior manager for the Concours 14P project. "We do not sell a police bike and at this time Kawasaki endorses no upfitter for law enforcement."

Police equipment such as emergency lighting, radios, and other gear powered by a second battery were causing the cycle's 30-amp main fuse to blow in some cases, according to NHTSA documents. If the fuse blows, the engine may stall, and the vehicle could crash.

In April, Kawasaki sent letters to its law enforcement clients informing them to bring the motocycles to dealers for the fix.

One of the motorcycle's biggest customers, the California Highway Patrol, has taken its 65 Concours 14P enforcement cycles to dealers who have addressed the issue, agency spokeswoman Fran Clader told POLICE Magazine.

"None of our motocycles had experienced any issues," Clader said. "There were no problems detected ... The safety of our officers is our number one priority."

In August of 2010, C.H.P. fleet managers signed a purchase agreement with Beaudry to begin replacing its fleet of nearly 400 BMW motorcycles with Kawasaki Concours 14Ps. The agency is expected to go out to bid for a new motorcycle contract later this year, Clader said.

Other agencies who have purchased the bike include the Arizona Department of Public Safety, Nevada Highway Patrol, Idaho State Police, Mesa (Ariz.) Police Department, Austin (Texas) Police Department, Colorado Highway Patrol, Sanford (Fla.) Police Department, Boise (Idaho) Police Department, Seattle Police Department, and Portland Police Department.

The problem was first reported to Kawasaki by a law enforcement agency in November of 2011. On March 23, Kawasaki determined the equipment installed by Beaudry and BMS had caused the detect and decided to issue a recall, according to the NHTSA documents.

The motorcycle also will not be tested by the Michigan State Police's Precision Driving Unit at the annual testing of law enforcement vehicles in September, Sgt. Matt Rogers tells POLICE Magazine. When it was tested in 2010, the motorcycle edged the competition in acceleration, top speed and quickest braking.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 11:33:54 AM »
Cuz BMW or Honda padded someone's pockets

Yep.
Just like Ducati pads Cycle World's pockets to say how great they are. ;)

If CA hasn't had a problem, and that's the biggest consumer, it's not the bike.

I'm cool with it, because now my bike's faster than theirs. ;D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 11:35:48 AM »
the forum repost cops are going to chase you down

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 12:06:19 PM »
the forum repost cops are going to chase you down

Oops, MrPepsi sucks.  :-[
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 03:37:01 PM »
Oops, MrPepsi sucks.  :-[

Or just make you drink Coke... :yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Spanky

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 05:36:11 PM »
I guess KiPass isn't the all powerful remedy that some on this forum have led me to believe   :o.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 05:50:07 PM »
I guess KiPass isn't the all powerful remedy that some on this forum have led me to believe   :o.

so you're saying you want the PoPo on the far superior and fast C14 instead of the Beemers or Hardlys?
It was our intention to get the PoPo off the C14. KiPass rules.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 06:52:07 PM »
The problem is that the in the usual bike, there is a main 30 amp fuse between the battery and 'everything else' which is on the alternator side. The bike is not started through that fuse so it does not matter how much current it draws when cranking. The alternator can put out 46 amps but it is virtually impossible to get near that amount of current just charging the battery (unless the main battery is shorted and then the fuse SHOULD blow, that is why it is there). So with a normal C-14 running, all power used, which can and does exceed 30 amps, is taken directly from the alternator.

When the police version adds another battery, they wire it in parallel with the primary battery and then attach all the electrical do- dads (technical term) to that second battery. That is the problem; the main fuse has to pass all the current to charge both batteries as well as run all accessories added to the second battery. When that main fuse pops, the bike stops running, the lights (all lights) fail, etc. I do not think it is really a horrible problem but it certainly would be dangerous at night with both the engine and the lights failing.

The fix is to increase the main fuse size along with the wiring between the alternator and the primary battery. I am amazed that those making police version C-14s have not dealt with this problem, and even more amazed that they are going to stop producing the bike due to this problem.

Brian

An electrical recall has imperiled the prospects of Kawasaki's reentry into the police motorcycle market.

<snip information>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Jay

• 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 10:55:43 PM »
The fix is to increase the main fuse size along with the wiring between the alternator and the primary battery. I am amazed that those making police version C-14s have not dealt with this problem, and even more amazed that they are going to stop producing the bike due to this problem.

Yes. This seems like a relatively easy fix.
I would expect such a problem to be anticipated. Especially from a company that has already made police model bikes.

Seems that Kawi stepped back from this without much of a fight to make it right.
Something fishy here. And it's not sushi.
- 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14, Black
- 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST (Shaft Drive)
- 1976 Triumph Bonneville 750

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 11:41:32 PM »
I'm kinda missing sumpin here, hep me out.

1) Mama K make a "P" model. I'll assume it has a few heavy duty features.
2) Local LEO department buys a dozen, has them shipped to a "converter" to have lights and doo-dads (technical term) added.
3) Fuse blows. May be due to installing a coffee machine and doughnut fryer at aforementioned "converter". Unless in Boulder County, then it's a bagel toaster and Latte frother. In either case, not "K" approved modifications.
4) Kawasaki gets stuck with the recall bill.

Yes, a solution should be simple. Maybe Mama K doesn't want the hassle? Pulls the "P" model from the lineup... for now.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 05:51:21 AM »
That is the impression I got from this whole thing- Kawasaki just is not interested enough in the Police market to make much, if any, effort to keep it. Perhaps it is not all that profitable after police agencies beat the price down for both the bikes and then the maintenance. ??

The other thing here is that there are two different companies involved; Kawasaki makes the bike itself and then a third party modifies it for LE use. Perhaps the heavier base wiring in the bike is a bone of contention with both sides saying 'it is not MY problem'?

Brian

2) Local LEO department buys a dozen, has them shipped to a "converter" to have lights and doo-dads (technical term) added.
3) Fuse blows. May be due to installing a coffee machine and doughnut fryer at aforementioned "converter". Unless in Boulder County, then it's a bagel toaster and Latte frother. In either case, not "K" approved modifications.

Yes, a solution should be simple. Maybe Mama K doesn't want the hassle? Pulls the "P" model from the lineup... for now.

Rick
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline PH14

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 10:02:49 AM »

They removed the fuse and replaced it with a warped rotor.

Offline Clark Kent

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 11:11:25 AM »

Rick

You administrators are all alike.  You don't want to deal with problems.         :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :chugbeer:
A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it.  "SHANE"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 11:55:35 AM »
Oh, we can deal with them alright, but sometimes things get a bit messy and then we need to call in a 'cleaner'.  No one wants that to happen.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 02:44:09 PM »
I mentioned last week that I talked to a NV Highway patrol motorbike cop who said that NV cancelled their orders for the C14 because of electrical problems.