Author Topic: Road test: Wind noise protection  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Ranger

Road test: Wind noise protection
« on: July 13, 2011, 04:06:31 PM »
Report on the "Windjammer" http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/windjammer/helmet-wind-blocker.htm wind noise reducer. As I have posted in the past, I have a nice case of tinitus (ringing in the ears) that I do not want to make any worse. After a recent 3,500 mile trip which made my tinitus a little worse I found out about and have now road tested this helmet attachment called the Windjammer. The short of it is that it does in fact cut down on wind noise. If you consider wind noise an issue then I would recommend this product. Next time you are out cruising over 60 mph, take your hands and put them up under your helmet beneath your ears. If you notice a definite decrease in wind noise (I did) then this product will work on your helmet. It takes the edge off the buffeting wind noise. Now I use this with my ear plugs and feel more assured my ears are protected. You do not want tinitus. This thing is very easy to install. It has a semi adhesive rim that fits snugly around base of helmet and can be removed and reattached any time. It doesn't slip. You can decrease or increase the size of the neck hole to fit your comfort level. As you can see in the pics I made mine fit so the neck hole is on the smaller side giving me a more air tight fit. It is harder to get the helmet on but after a few times I am used to it and it's no problem. The down side is that you do not get as much air flow in the helmet thereby making it a bit warmer in there, and you do not hear the engine nearly as well as before. Both of those negative points are well worth it to me if it protects my ears.

I also tried the "Quiet Rider" helmet closure that is sort of similar to the Windjammer, however I did not like it nearly as well as Windjammer. It was a pain to install, (on my helmet)  and doesn't work as well.
2002 Connie with Givi trunk, Avon tires,  7th gear mod, Heli bars, Throttlemeister, Rifle windscreen, and other junk. Love to pack up and hit the road. Thank goodness I'm recent retiree. :-)

Offline sas mayhem

Re: Road test: Wind noise protection
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 06:02:40 PM »
Ranger, would this still be able to fasten to your helmet if you head a headset  installed? I have a Scala rider Teamset  that secures on the left side. What do you think?

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Ranger

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 07:45:29 PM »
Ranger, would this still be able to fasten to your helmet if you head a headset  installed? I have a Scala rider Teamset  that secures on the left side. What do you think?

Cheers
Ron
Ron,  I am pretty sure you could make it work. The collar of the Windjammer rides about 1 1/2 inch's high from bottom of helmet and the material is very flexible. If you need to fix a wire/wires in between the Windjammer material and helmet I don't see why it would not work. Once the Windjammer is fitted it is easy to pull a part of it away from helmet without messing up the general fit of Windjammer. Also, if you need to run a wire through bottom of Windjammer out to bike dash or whatever it would be easy to run the wire through one of the small vent holes on underneath side of Windjammer. (see picture) Good luck, John
2002 Connie with Givi trunk, Avon tires,  7th gear mod, Heli bars, Throttlemeister, Rifle windscreen, and other junk. Love to pack up and hit the road. Thank goodness I'm recent retiree. :-)

Offline wildwilly

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 10:43:45 PM »
When I saw the Windjammer 2, the first thing I thought was, "yea, right.  It'l just make the face shield fog even worse."  So far, what I'm seeing on other forums is exactly that.

You know the funny thing is, on my Connie, my Shoei RF1000 is a pretty quiet helmet, compared to several others I've tried.  But, it is at its quietest with the face shield full up.

Offline Ranger

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 11:42:32 AM »
When I saw the Windjammer 2, the first thing I thought was, "yea, right.  It'l just make the face shield fog even worse."  So far, what I'm seeing on other forums is exactly that.

You know the funny thing is, on my Connie, my Shoei RF1000 is a pretty quiet helmet, compared to several others I've tried.  But, it is at its quietest with the face shield full up.
All helmets are different with some being much quieter than others. This thing for me (the Windjammer) is a last ditch solution. I would love to not need to use it. Yes, it does make fogging up worse. But I simply cannot afford to damage my hearing any more than it is, and there is no doubt that this product cuts down on the wind noise "for me". It's definitely not for everyone.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 01:39:28 AM »
I order one the other day to see how it is.  With my new and improved chopped windscreen and better air flow to my Scorpion helmet with great vent, I hope fogging won't be an issue.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 06:22:20 AM »
I don't know about you, but with my helmet it is actually quieter with the shield up than down. I usually drive with it up and mu sunscreen down. Works great.

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 10:40:06 AM »
It's all about the turbulence around the space between the faceshield and the helmet. Try placing some foam strips in the gap to see if it eliminates/reduces the noise.
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 10:48:31 AM »
I don't know about you, but with my helmet it is actually quieter with the shield up than down. I usually drive with it up and mu sunscreen down. Works great.
+1 if it isnt raining or butt a$$ cold my face shield is up.  Mucho quieter
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 01:51:11 PM »
A side note on buffeting, I just mounted a Cee Bailey shield(thanks again Vic), much better than Rifle, stock, Clearview GT, and I think a rode a Conc with a Gustafson. A properly sized Cee B moves a smooth stream of air above the shield, helping the air intakes on the helmet, and eliminating all of that wind noise. Another alternative is an extremely short shield, you get wind in the chest and face, but it is smooth, and less noisy than all of the above except the Cee B..

This is all in addition to wearing -30db ear protection. I wear an HJC mod helmet, not the quietest around. OK with the shield up, sun screen up or down.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 12:19:24 AM »
Well I got my windjammer the other day and finally installed.  I did a 35 mile trek to work @ around 75ish mph.  I also have a chopped 13 inch windscreen.  My helmet is a Scorpion 1000 and loud.  After I got on the highway I realized...... this thing works.  I would honestly say at least 1/2 the noise in the helmet and I do wear ear plugs. With the vent open the sound level is still very low and the vents "seem" to work more effectively.  The jury is out till this winter to see how much if any fogging I will get.  So far this was money well spent.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie

Offline Ranger

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 11:56:33 AM »
Well I got my windjammer the other day and finally installed.  I did a 35 mile trek to work @ around 75ish mph.  I also have a chopped 13 inch windscreen.  My helmet is a Scorpion 1000 and loud.  After I got on the highway I realized...... this thing works.  I would honestly say at least 1/2 the noise in the helmet and I do wear ear plugs. With the vent open the sound level is still very low and the vents "seem" to work more effectively.  The jury is out till this winter to see how much if any fogging I will get.  So far this was money well spent.

Cheers
Ron

Glad you like it Ron. I have no doubt that we will experience increased fogging when it gets colder and wetter out, however I think with a few riding adjustments such as raising your visor when slowed or stopped etc., ... will solve the problem and we will be more comfy with a warmer neck and head when at speed.