Author Topic: Michelin Pilot GT question.  (Read 4656 times)

Offline Tele130

Michelin Pilot GT question.
« on: May 06, 2012, 06:17:45 PM »
Today was the first time in 9K miles that I've had them in the rain. And I have to say that my confidance level in them took a couple steps backwards. The streets we soaked in a steady rain I took off from a stop light in first gear gingerly. Shifted into second and at about 3K RPM the back end broke loose.........two separate times. I wasn't hammering on it at all.  I'm running 42psi in the rear.

Is this a common reaction with this tire?
Am I running the psi too high?

I ran Continental Road Attacks on my ZRX (I know, diffrent tire-diffrent bike) and ran a lot harder in the rain than I did today on the Connie..............by leaps and bounds.

Is the weight of the Connie comming into play here?
I just don't want to end up on my butt running some twisties in the rain.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
Re: Michelin Pilot GT question.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 08:19:13 PM »
Not knowing your riding style, but it sounds like you might be near the end on them.
I didn't get loose until the 9500 mile range, now I did end up with 16k on them, but that later traction did drop off, at least with me, in that mileage range.
Don't know how much help, I'm sure others will add very soon.
Ride safe all,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 11:34:13 PM »
Just wanted to echo Pfloydgad's comment about the traction falloff.  As I wore my GT rear close to 2mm depth, the tires didn't seem to grip as well as they did when they are new.  My GT front is getting close  to done now.  The GT front had about 10K left on it when I finally replaced the rear...

I have an AM42 Venom on the rear now, and am still not used to that tire, despite having it on the bike for a year now.  I miss the slightly heavier weight/stability of the Pilot GT rear, as I'm not one that likes to scrape pegs.  The Venom hasn't let me down yet, but then I'm not confident enough anymore to push it to the limits.  I will say that the Venom rear reacts at 40 MPH similarly to how the GT rear did at 35-ish MPH when swerving back and forth, which I'm sure has something to do with less weight being spun around/gyroscopic foces.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 05:30:25 AM »
It must be tire wear.  I have never broke my rear loose running the GT's.  How much life ya got left in that tire? Sounds like its time to get out the video camera and film a burn-out. Give the GT a fabulous sendoff :chugbeer: :popcorn:
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Tele130

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 06:21:17 AM »
I'll get the stats on the tire in a bit.

Doug Colton

Offline Tele130

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 07:59:54 AM »
Picturebook Story. ;D

This one is a little blurry but it Read's 4.5mm.

After reading all the "Hype" about the GT's, I was hoping to get more than 9K miles out of them.  I was out yesterday running with a C-14 and a ZRX1200.    Throughout the day we were running a little hard, tapping into the triple digits only a couple times ::).......................... ;D  Maybe the torque output is stronger than I thought?

Side note:  We weren't running like that in the rain, dry roads ONLY!!!!

It started to rain while we were having lunch.

Yes, these are the clowns I'm forced to ride with :rotflmao:

Doug Colton

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 08:23:06 AM »
Beautiful tire. Whats the current milage. I averaged 12-14K out of my rears. Of all the times that I had reduced milage; it was becuase of a handful of HARD rides. It doesnt take very many to scrub off 2K of tire life.
Actualy after looking at your pics; that rear doesnt look very safe. I would gladly take it off your hands. Just to keep you safe  :chugbeer:
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Tele130

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 09:37:12 AM »
Beautiful tire. Whats the current milage. I averaged 12-14K out of my rears. Of all the times that I had reduced milage; it was becuase of a handful of HARD rides. It doesnt take very many to scrub off 2K of tire life.
Actualy after looking at your pics; that rear doesnt look very safe. I would gladly take it off your hands. Just to keep you safe  :chugbeer:

;D
I'm sure you would Chris.  I've currently have 9, 327 miles on the set.

Doug Colton

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 02:23:24 PM »
Tire looks pretty good, what about loss of some rigidity. Or over preasure, just grasping at straws here, it just seems funny that that mileage rendered the same kind of responses from more then just a few of us on here. Maybe a call to Michilen is in order, might be a good knowledge builder.
Ride safe all,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 02:31:48 PM »
How much rain have you had so far this year?  Could just be that the oil accumulation on the asphalt over the winter hasn't washed off yet, and the rain you hit was bringing some to the surface.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 02:47:21 PM »
Im agree with Outback Jon, when it first starts raining nearly any tire will spin during acceleration due to the oil film, especially at intersections. I rode in the rain for nearly 6 hours one day last year with my GT's with zero problems. Also as the tire wears it gets a flat spot in the middle which would contribute to hydroplaning on water. I just switched to the Avon AM-26's about a month ago after running the GT's for the past 4 years.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 05:16:20 AM »
I managed to get about 12K out of my second GT rear, but then I was canyon chasing for a bit; otherwise I'm sure I'd have squeezed another 2K out of it.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 06:37:40 AM »
How much rain have you had so far this year?  Could just be that the oil accumulation on the asphalt over the winter hasn't washed off yet, and the rain you hit was bringing some to the surface.

We've had a fair amount of rain this Spring.  When this occurred, it had been raining for well over two hours with very heavy downpours thrown in for good measure.  Maybe I was heavier on the throttle than I thought.  I'm not going to loos any sleep over it but I will pay more attention to throttle input when it's wet outside. ;D

Doug Colton

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 08:07:12 AM »
We've had a fair amount of rain this Spring.  When this occurred, it had been raining for well over two hours with very heavy downpours thrown in for good measure.  Maybe I was heavier on the throttle than I thought.  I'm not going to loos any sleep over it but I will pay more attention to throttle input when it's wet outside. ;D
Maybe you should quit trying to keep up with those grown-up motorcycles ???
2002 Conc

Offline Tele130

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 10:07:51 AM »
Maybe you should quit trying to keep up with those grown-up motorcycles ???

:rotflmao:
They never have to wait for me.

Doug Colton

Offline Tele130

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 10:10:31 AM »
Oh, I forgot to mention that both of these "Slippage's" occurred when I was by myself heading home.

Just for clarification. ;D

Doug Colton

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 10:46:19 AM »
Oh, I forgot to mention that both of these "Slippage's" occurred when I was by myself heading home.

Just for clarification. ;D
Its your story; you tell it how ya want  :chugbeer: :rotflmao:
2002 Conc

Offline Tele130

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 05:16:04 PM »
Its your story; you tell it how ya want  :chugbeer: :rotflmao:

And there you have it.  :rotflmao: :thumbs:

Doug Colton