Author Topic: Buying a C14 or R1200RT tomorrow  (Read 43387 times)

Offline katata1100

Re: Buying a C14 or R1200RT tomorrow
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2011, 11:24:30 AM »
I am pretty skeptical too, myself.  There are some appreciable differences between the two bikes, but they are way too similar in most ways to possibly justify buying both of them.  Just doesn't make any sense at all.

If I had the scratch, I'd have gone with a BMW 1600, then get a ZX14.
I have two bikes, my C14 and '91 Katana 1100- long live Ratty Katty!

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2011, 11:47:12 AM »
If I had the scratch, I'd have gone with a BMW 1600, then get a ZX14.
I have two bikes, my C14 and '91 Katana 1100- long live Ratty Katty!

My dad loves his GSX-1100F, but he wants to move to a C14 after riding mine. But that bike had an electrically adjustable windshield in 1990!
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2011, 08:48:05 PM »
Dammit, I wish I would have seen this thread sooner.  I owned a 1200RT and I now own a C14.

The 1200RT is a great bike.  In comparison with the C14, it's lighter, has a tighter turning radius, and offers a bit more weather protection from the fairings.  And I used the cruise control a LOT.  That's the single, #1 biggest minus of the C14 to me.  Regarding the 1200RT in comparison to the C14:

Plusses:

Lighter, tighter turning radius.
Slightly more weather protection.
Narrower, easier to lane split with if you can do that.
Great range (300+ miles.)
Valve adjustments and spark plug replacements are easy.
Fairings a bit easier to remove.
Lighter clutch and throttle feel.

Minuses:

The Boxer motor has low torque at low RPM and tends to randomly cut out. Easy to stall.  Runs like crap when cold.
First gear is overly tall - not great for inching along.
Not as much cornering clearance as a C14.
Handling at speed is not as good as the C14.
Final drive oil changes are a PITA compared to a C14 but not overly so.
Eats H7 headlight bulbs for lunch.  Lighting is good but the C14 is better.

I would say the RT is a better long distance touring bike, in terms of comfort and range.  The C14 is much closer to being a sport bike but it is still a great touring bike.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2011, 09:29:59 PM »
My dad loves his GSX-1100F, but he wants to move to a C14 after riding mine. But that bike had an electrically adjustable windshield in 1990!

The GSX 1100F was the first bike to have an electric windshield when it debuted in '87 0r 88 (forgot the year it was introduced). And, unlike most
bikes, it doesn't look goofy when fully extended. Of course, I wish it were taller, but hey, the bike looks cool. I did a lot of touring on it, but the buzzing from that GXSR
motor is real bad, the C14 is so much smoother and comfy that it isn't funny.

Offline slerickson

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2011, 10:47:17 PM »
Hey Kurt I call BS and would like to see a pic. 

Just saying!
In Loving Memory of My Wife
Ronda 1/27/63  7/16/08
MISS YOU BOO

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2011, 06:31:42 AM »
I am in a similar situation as Kurt is. I own a 2005 R1200RT which I love. To be honest, I have no complaints about it at all. That said, I have heard some great things about the Concours, and am debating adding one to my garage, if only because I think that it too is probably a great bike.

I have ridden the Concours on an extended test ride, and the only issue that I experienced about the Concours which I was not happy with was there was a lot of wind noise at freeway speeds. I am assuming that this could be addressed by the installation of a larger windscreen.

After my test ride on the Concours, I want to purchase one, because I think that it's a great motorcycle. I don't particularly need one, and I think that you can't go wrong with either the BMW R1200RT or the Concours. With that said, they are different enough bikes that I think one could get away with one of each and not feel like there's too much redundancy in what they offer.

I can shed some light on the BMW. Can someone do the same for the Concours?

Dealer Services:
6,000 mile service: $304.55
12,000 mile service: $518.52
18,000 mile service: $312.62
24,000 mile service: $609.07

I don't ever have dealers do my service - I do it myself.  But these numbers you are showing don't sound all that high to me.  Do the higher two include a valve check?
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Son of Pappy

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2011, 09:12:18 AM »
I don't ever have dealers do my service - I do it myself.  But these numbers you are showing don't sound all that high to me.  Do the higher two include a valve check?
Probably includes the ABS brake service.  Wanna see a shade tree nightmare?  Look at what is needed to do the servo assisted ABS brakes.  It was what drove me into the proverbial ditch.  Praise be to mama kaw and getting me back on road :)

Offline SPX

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2011, 11:14:40 AM »

Yes, the higher numbers include a valve check (all four prices do, actually) and the final drive fluid change.

Offline SPX

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2011, 11:15:54 AM »
Probably includes the ABS brake service.  Wanna see a shade tree nightmare?  Look at what is needed to do the servo assisted ABS brakes.  It was what drove me into the proverbial ditch.  Praise be to mama kaw and getting me back on road :)

For my servo assisted brakes equipped bike, the brake fluid flush is $230. I am told the non-servo assist bikes cost about $130 to do a brake fluid flush (one hour less labor).

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2011, 01:44:06 PM »
Well, today was the day I was going to buy a motorcycle...

I took both the R1200RT and the C14 out on test rides along the same stretch of roads. In my opinion, the bikes are totally different; the C14 clearly sporty, while the RT more tour oriented. There was a surprising amount of wind noise on the C14 along with upper body heat (that surprised me, had not read about that in 2011). But the power and smoothness the bike has is contagious and makes you have to have the bike!

I rode the RT and fell in love. It is quiet, comfortable, has plenty of power, and handles well.

Truly I could not decide which to buy. So I bought both!! :)

Kurt
2011 C14 Silver
2012 R1200RT Blue

Congratulation the BMW is a nice bike when it runs the Kawi is a better bike. You’ll also have the Kawi to ride while your BMW is at the dealer for repairs. Also never trust the fuel gauge on the BMW or eventually you’ll find yourself out of gas with a gauge that read a half a tank.

Offline SPX

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2011, 03:19:47 PM »
Congratulation the BMW is a nice bike when it runs the Kawi is a better bike. You’ll also have the Kawi to ride while your BMW is at the dealer for repairs. Also never trust the fuel gauge on the BMW or eventually you’ll find yourself out of gas with a gauge that read a half a tank.

Did you previously own an R1200RT?

I have 102,000+ miles on my RT, and never have had any breakdowns. Truth is, I can't think of anyone else who has had a breakdown on their RT either. That said, I am always in the market for new & different bikes, and the C14 appeals to me.

As far as the gas gauge is concerned, I have never heard of the gas gauge indicating fuller than it actually is on the BMW. The common complaint is with fuel strips, and it leads to fuel gauges indicating lower (or empty) than reality. What experience have you had in which the gauge indicated higher than actual?

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2011, 03:59:53 PM »
Had one since 08, 4 or 5 fuel strips replaced and every time it went out it would read higher than actual fuel levels. After the second time I was stranded out of gas with a gauge reading of a half a tank I started to rely on the trip odometer for fill ups. It’s also been through 1 clutch, 2 windshield actuator arms, drive shaft came apart, rear wheel bearing went out and at least a half dozen kick stand switches, all within 50k miles. The last 10k have been trouble free.  It’s a great bike when everything works.

Offline speed545

« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2011, 04:27:02 PM »
I posted the maintenance costs on my R1200RT yesterday, and asked others to do the same for the C14, for comparison purposes. Thus far, nobody has done so.

Would someone please post their maintenance costs for comparison purposes?

I ll be honest with you, i dont see the purposes of your questions when yours answers are biased toward the R1200.

I would ve try to answer your question but  i do almost all the work myself. So for the 7500, 11250 and the 15000, it cost me between 75$ and 200$ mainly in fluid, gease and parts.

Good luck in your quest

Derry

08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline SPX

« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2011, 07:05:48 PM »
I ll be honest with you, i dont see the purposes of your questions when yours answers are biased toward the R1200.

I would ve try to answer your question but  i do almost all the work myself. So for the 7500, 11250 and the 15000, it cost me between 75$ and 200$ mainly in fluid, gease and parts.

Good luck in your quest

Derry

I am sorry if it seems that I am bias towards the 1200. I know it well, because I have had one since 2005. However, I am on the verge of buying a C14 (going to look at one at the dealer tomorrow), possibly to replace my 1200, so I am attempting to learn as much about it as possible.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2011, 09:13:35 PM »
Had one since 08, 4 or 5 fuel strips replaced and every time it went out it would read higher than actual fuel levels. After the second time I was stranded out of gas with a gauge reading of a half a tank I started to rely on the trip odometer for fill ups. It’s also been through 1 clutch, 2 windshield actuator arms, drive shaft came apart, rear wheel bearing went out and at least a half dozen kick stand switches, all within 50k miles. The last 10k have been trouble free.  It’s a great bike when everything works.

That's happened to me once.  The ONLY time I forgot to display the trip odometer (Beemers have a bad habit of not starting up with the same information displayed when you shut it down) the fuel strip failed indicating a quarter tank left.  I ran out of gas on the freeway.  When I cycled through the displays to show the trip odometer, sure enough, I travelled 318 miles.  From then on, I went strictly by the trip odometer and nothing else.

That by the way is the ONLY time I've run ANY vehicle out of gas in my life.  Cars, motorcycles, airplanes - I'm always conscious of fuel.

Offline Kurt

« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2011, 11:38:33 PM »
After having both motorcycles for a few days now, I thought that I would post a quick sunmary.

The C14 is a fast bike!! It is loud on the highway, but for sport riding on roads, I am not sure it can be beat. I don't see myself taking this bike on extended tours.

The RT is a comfortable bike that is quiet on the highway, and comfortable to ride. I can certainly see touring on this bike.

Overall, my feeling is the BMW is built with higher quality standards and is better for touring. The C14, I view as a more upright seated sport bike.

I am always looking for riding partners. If anyone is ever out here in central to southern CA, that's where I keep my bikes. Look me up and lets go ride!

Kurt

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2011, 08:13:17 AM »
Pics, Pics, Pics. We need to see some pics. Without pics nothing is real...  ;D
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2011, 08:46:22 AM »

The C14 is a fast bike!! It is loud on the highway, but for sport riding on roads, I am not sure it can be beat. I don't see myself taking this bike on extended tours.

Kurt

I guess it depends on the rider...   I rode mine to Reno and back from the East coast and it did fine.  I'd tour with it anywhere except off road.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline OilheadMike

• Evolution: A Fairy Tale For Grownups
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2011, 04:07:53 PM »
7 December 2011

Kurt,

This may be late, but here goes.  I had a 1992 Connie that I owned over six years.  Bought used with almost 22K, sold it with almost 172K.  Great machine and it was quite good.  Would love to have a later-model post-93 red or black C10 Connie.

After a couple of interim bikes following the C10, I bought a 2003 BMW R1150RT w/ 19,600 miles in November 2005.  Over six years now, she has almost 111,000 miles and running strong.  I did have the dreaded HES (ignition sensor pickup) failure this past April at 96K, which stranded me, but that's over with.

The bike is very DIY shadetree-mechanic friendly except the ABS servicing, which I don't have the expertise to perform.  The 6K and 12K services I combine to do every 20K and that works fine - the screw-and-locknut valve clearances have stabilized.  Single-sided swingarm making wheel removal a piece of cake.  Front wheel removal also very easy.  The brake pads all three calipers are ridiculously easy to change, unlike the real pain in the neck of my 1992 Connie.

No water pump, no coolant, two spark plugs.  A simple machine in most respects.  How does this extrapolate to the R1200RT?  Mechanically, about the same.  The R1200RT is much uglier than the R1150RT, but still a great machine.  New bikes have heated everything, BlueTooth, cruise control, tailored displays, etc.  Nice.

The RT has a much bigger fuel tank and much better gas mileage.  MUCH better.  While touring, figure 270-320 miles per tank, easy.

Drawbacks - the fuel filter and fuel pump are inside the fuel tank and not trivial to replace.  The alternator belt (yes, a belt like your car) is replaced every 36K (new bulletin now sez every 25K, which is overkill).

The 2010 and newer Oilhead / Hexhead machines have the new "semispherical" shims for valve adjustment.  Very, very mechanic friendly for DIY, but the drawback is shim replacement - have to go to the dealer and swapout / buy new shims (gotta do the math right - "measure twice, cut once") or buy a pricey shim kit.  I like the screw-and-locknut setup much better.

I feel the same emotions about the R1200RT vs the C14 Connie.  If you are gonna do your own mainteance and very handy and DIY capable, the new and late model R1200RTs are better to work on, with some of the Kraut bike quirks not seen in the Japanese bike wold.  If you are mechanically a klutz and will do all dealer servicing, the C14 is quite attractive

Cheers, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone,
Mike Shelton
Stafford, VA
2003 R1150RT

Mike Shelton
CMA#26109 / IBA#9019
2003 R1150RT / 1992 Connie 1000 (once upon a time)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2011, 04:24:49 PM »
Cheers, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone,
Mike Shelton
Stafford, VA

I am consistently amazed at how many of us are from Virginia on this message board.  Seems way disproportionate.  Anyone else notice that?  (Yes, I am a native and resident Virginian).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc