Author Topic: Points to ponder  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Points to ponder
« on: February 20, 2015, 04:00:17 PM »
Not sure if y'all have seen these before......

1. Don't throw a leg over a motorcycle unless you are willing to die on it. It's not a question of "if" you are going down, it's a question of "when".

2. If you push the left bar, the bike goes right. If you push the right bar, the bike goes left. That is, unless you push either bar too
far, in which case the bike goes down.

3. Riding isn't dangerous. Crashing is dangerous.

4. The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

5. When in doubt, slow down. No one has ever hit something too slow.

6. A 'good' ride is one from which you can walk away. A 'great' ride is one
    after which you can use the bike again.

8. Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make
    all of them yourself.

9. You know you've left the side-stand down when all left turn are Bat-turns. 

10. Never let an motorcycle take you somewhere your brain didn't get to three seconds earlier.

11. Try to stay out of fog, The taillights you are following may be a Winnebago parked in the middle of the road. Reliable sources also report that eighteen wheel trucks, large SUV's and deer have been known to hide out in fog.

12. Always try to keep the number of times you put your parking stand down equal to the number of times you put the parking stand up.

13. There are two simple rules for riding smoothly and fast in  snow and on ice. Unfortunately no one knows what they are.

14. You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

15. If all you can see in your mirrors is sparks and all you can hear is screaming from your passenger, things may not be as they should be.

16. In the ongoing battle between objects made of metal, rubber and fiberglass going 50+ miles per hour and the ground going zero miles per hour, the ground has yet to lose. Same holds for cars,large trucks, and animals taller than you. Draws don't count.

17. Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgment.

18. It's always a good idea to keep the headlight end going forward and the tires below you as much as possible.

19. Keep looking around. There's always something you've missed.

20. Remember, gravity and centrifugal force are not just a good ideas.They're laws and are not subject to repeal.

21. The two most useless things to a rider are the braking distance behind you and nine-tenths of a second ago.

God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: Points to ponder
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 06:09:26 PM »
. . .
2. If you push the left bar, the bike goes right. If you push the right bar, the bike goes left.
 . . .
After pondering, it seems to me it's the opposite.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 06:17:05 PM »
Harleys don't countersteer, you drive them around corners.  :rotflmao:

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 06:32:17 PM »

Continue thinking about it. Which direction will the bike go if you PUSH on the left bar?    :popcorn:
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 06:33:37 PM »
Harleys don't countersteer, you drive them around corners.  :rotflmao:

:battle:     :rotflmao:

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 08:33:55 PM »
Continue thinking about it. Which direction will the bike go if you PUSH on the left bar?
Ah well, here's a reference:
http://www.stevemunden.com/countersteering.html
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 08:46:52 PM »
Press right; go right.

Press left; go left.

12. Always try to keep the number of times you put your parking stand down equal to the number of times you put the parking stand up.
      So far, I'm short two "downs". :'(
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 07:42:14 AM »
Well, it seems that I failed to insure that my brain was engaged before I put my keyboard in gear.   :hail:  I was wrong.

I hate when I do that because then, after seeing there error in by ways,  I'm obliged to go back and apologize.

In my own defense, It is quite difficult to ooperate a keyboard with my head up my  :censored:  Another lesson in humility for me. And this early in the day  :-[

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 09:50:28 AM »
Well, it seems that I failed to insure that my brain was engaged before I put my keyboard in gear.   :hail:  I was wrong.

I hate when I do that because then, after seeing there error in by ways,  I'm obliged to go back and apologize.

In my own defense, It is quite difficult to ooperate a keyboard with my head up my  :censored:  Another lesson in humility for me. And this early in the day  :-[

Think right brane, go left.  Think left brane go right.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.