Author Topic: Woke up with wood  (Read 19974 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Woke up with wood
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2015, 05:27:15 AM »
The second shipment did the trick and my steel combustor is nestled in to it's new home and doing it's thing very well. It light's off at a lower temp and quickly climbs up to a nice operating temp of 1,600f.   :)

Now I see that the first shipment has been found and it was sent back to the original shipper who has sent it back to me it seems and should arrive today.   ???

Should I keep it or send it back, again?    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2015, 06:45:31 AM »
Send it back. The karmic repercussions aren't worth the price of admission.  :)
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2015, 07:39:23 AM »
Send it back. The karmic repercussions aren't worth the price of admission.  :)

Thus the wink D.    ;)

I'll notify the company and wait for them to send me a return label.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2015, 10:10:56 AM »
Thus the wink D.    ;)

I'll notify the company and wait for them to send me a return label.

Sorry, I didn't notice the wink. It was early and I was using my tiny Android phone. I guess I need a newer, larger phone or stronger glasses. Getting old can be a real p.i.t.a.  ;D
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2015, 10:49:13 AM »
Sorry, I didn't notice the wink. It was early and I was using my tiny Android phone. I guess I need a newer, larger phone or stronger glasses. Getting old can be a real p.i.t.a. ;D

It's better than the alternative, at least as far as we know...

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2015, 01:03:18 PM »
I am still hopeful about that and anxiously waiting for reports from..... well, 'the other side'. At least one report. Even a cryptic note would be comforting....

Brian

It's better than the alternative, at least as far as we know...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2015, 01:13:40 PM »
If and when I make it to "the other side" I will do my best to post a ride review. Would you like it on the forum on in a PM ?     :chugbeer:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2015, 01:31:05 PM »
I am still hopeful about that and anxiously waiting for reports from..... well, 'the other side'. At least one report. Even a cryptic note would be comforting....

Brian

I haven't heard anything from the 'other side' but here's a message from The Far Side.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2015, 01:45:45 PM »
Brought to you by the Good Intentions Paving Company

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2015, 02:53:16 PM »

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2015, 03:28:31 PM »
Back to the topic at hand..... I bought six cord of firewood last spring figuring on burning the usual four or so and using the other two to get on the 'two year' plan which is eventually to be burning two year old or older wood. The plan was to get ahead two cord for two or three years which would make a nice buffer. And with a new, more efficient stove, I though I might actually burn a bit less wood this year.

So back to reality: this has been such a cold, windy winter that all of the above has happened: I am burning less wood due to the more efficient stove yet burning more wood due to the harsh winter. I <might> end up burning 4 cord or maybe more like 5 and change. Hmmmmm.

So new plan: next year I am going to buy another six cord but also going to use a solar kiln to season it much faster than open- air seasoning and <hopefully>, all six cord will be at the three- year seasoned level by the end of fall.....  We will see how that plan works out. :-)

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2015, 06:19:58 AM »
Back to the topic at hand..... I bought six cord of firewood last spring figuring on burning the usual four or so and using the other two to get on the 'two year' plan which is eventually to be burning two year old or older wood. The plan was to get ahead two cord for two or three years which would make a nice buffer. And with a new, more efficient stove, I though I might actually burn a bit less wood this year.

So back to reality: this has been such a cold, windy winter that all of the above has happened: I am burning less wood due to the more efficient stove yet burning more wood due to the harsh winter. I <might> end up burning 4 cord or maybe more like 5 and change. Hmmmmm.

So new plan: next year I am going to buy another six cord but also going to use a solar kiln to season it much faster than open- air seasoning and <hopefully>, all six cord will be at the three- year seasoned level by the end of fall.....  We will see how that plan works out. :-)

Brian

How large of a kiln are you going to build?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2015, 06:25:58 AM »
I really hate it when you guys go off topic..

So, what is the alternative, getting younger?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2015, 07:19:53 AM »

You have two choices. You either get older or you don't. If you have stopped getting older then your troubles are over. RIP

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2015, 08:26:22 AM »
I am not building a kiln per se, I am going to cover the holz hauzen's with clear plastic and make the stacks themselves into solar kilns. There are a few people doing it with great success and some university did a study about this- what is amazing is that the core of the wood in the stack can reach 150 F, over and over again. The high temperatures literally drive the water out of the wood where it is absorbed by the surrounding air. When the temp. drops at night, all the water condenses and runs down the plastic (and the wood) and out the bottom through slots for that purpose. The interesting thing is that they have no provision for air circulation at all- you would think air movement would be needed but it is not only not needed but not desirable. Fully sealing the stacks drives the temperature up as high as possible, which is what is actually drying the wood. As a side- benefit, the temperatures kill all the critters that are living in the wood in the first place.

Supposed to dry green wood (40% + moisture content) down to less than 15% in 90 days.

So my plan is just to use some very thin plastic, lay a sheet down that will cover the hauzen about 2' up from the bottom, then cover the top to the bottom and tape it all shut.

Physics..... and just when I was thinking gravity was great, now thermodynamics and partial pressures of liquids comes along to dry out my wood.

Brian

How large of a kiln are you going to build?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2015, 08:34:37 AM »
Yeah, the outcome is both undesirable and inevitable. My mother used to say things like: 'If something were to happen to me (or a relative, etc.)....'. Well, "something" is going to happen to all of us, sooner or later. The only variables are 1) when and 2) how bad 'the ride down' is. There are better and worse ways to get there, the worst one I have personally seen is a relative with ALS; a perfectly lucid mind trapped in a deteriorating body.

Then again, anyone remember that episode of The Twilight Zone- 'Escape Clause' where David Wayne makes a deal with Cadwallader for one million years of immortality? That didn't work out so well either.....  :o

Brian

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2015, 01:28:15 PM »
Brian, I like the idea of burning wood to heat your place.
I used to do it in Houston, and enjoyed it (Yes we have to do heating)

But isn't that many cords of wood,,, more expensive than other?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2015, 01:49:21 PM »
Wood (cord wood) is the least expensive way to heat with here. My wood costs (Easy Boys! it is not for sale!) $200 / cord, cut, split and delivered, and last year fuel oil was approaching $4 / gallon. There is a comparator here that is not bad (not perfect but not bad):http://nepacrossroads.com/fuel-comparison-calculator.php

In addition to the above, I have an ancient boiler with horrific stand- by losses: I once figured it had an overall efficiency of around 28%.  :o The current plan is to change the boiler this year, and that coupled with much less expensive oil will narrow the difference between heating with cord wood and heating with oil but cord wood will still be less expensive.

Besides all that, burning stuff in the living room scratches both the 'cave man' as well as the pyromaniac itch that most of us seem to have. I know everytime I spark up a fire, way down in the brain stem there is a certain pride that sounds like 'Trog make fire!'.   :-)

Brian

Brian, I like the idea of burning wood to heat your place.
I used to do it in Houston, and enjoyed it (Yes we have to do heating)

But isn't that many cords of wood,,, more expensive than other?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2015, 02:06:13 PM »
Aren't you just a little concerned about your carbon footprint? Remember the mammoth.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2015, 02:22:47 PM »
When I used wood for heating, I did it as long as the trees in my yard lasted.  After that it got a bit expensive.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.