Author Topic: Colorado/Utah information needed  (Read 7098 times)

Offline koval68

Colorado/Utah information needed
« on: March 08, 2013, 09:52:16 PM »
This year, our annual group ride will take place in Colorado and Utah. We're leaving Ontario on May 25th or early on 26th and have to be back home by June 9th. Out of eight riders, I am the only one with some "big mountain" riding experience , but that was a long time ago...(Alps in mid 80's).
What are the do's and don'ts of riding in Rocky Mountains? Do we need to carry extra fuel?
Also, Can you suggest towns worth spending a night in, your favorite restaurants/bars, clean and bike friendly hotels/motels and points of interest, from the must do tourist spots to those hidden gems only the locals know about...? How long does it take to ride up (not race up...) Pikes Peak?
We're starting our journey in Colorado Springs area, can you suggest a place to store two trucks with two trailers? Feel free to share any other information that you think we need to know! Your input will be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 08:19:00 AM by koval68 »
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Colorado/Utah information needed
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 10:34:44 AM »
Welcome to Colorado Tom! So many roads, so little time. I will look into a place to park your trucks and trailers. Can't go wrong riding the Rockies in Colorado.

One place I definitely recommend is Steamboat Springs. I like to stay here: http://www.nordiclodgeofsteamboat.com/
It's downtown and walking distance to many restaurants and shops. I love to ride there up 14 through the Pouder Canyon and over Rabbit Ears pass, check in, park the bikes and walk to this place: http://www.mahoganyridgesteamboat.com/#Home   
Fantastic food and beer.

From Steamboat 131 south to Wolcot is a nice road. or 14 back to Walden then 125 north Encampment WY, 70 (not I70) west to Baggs, 13 south to Craig.

Check out this tread for road suggestions in the SW Colorado: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=12696.msg155725#msg155725

If you want to go SW Colorado out of Colorado springs, 24 through Woodland Park over Wilkerson pass to Buena Vista is nice. From there, north and over Independence pass is epic. Or south to Poncho springs then over Monarch pass. or south from Poncho Springs to Saguache to 114 over North Pass to 50 to Gunnison. If you take 50 west out of Gunnison then you got to take 92 along the north rim of the black canyon of the Gunnison. Another epic road.

I could go on and on.

Lots of good stuff in Utah as well. The Moab area is packed with stuff to see and Moab has lots of motels and restaurants as well as a nice brew pub. 128 out of Moab along the Colorado river is very nice.

Let me know when you expect to get to Colorado Springs. Perhaps we can meet and look over a map together.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 11:03:16 AM »
Here is the CO 100,000ft Ride Map... 450-550 miles w/ 10 10,000ft passes.  I've done this ride several times... and it never gets old... they mix up the passes and routes every year.  It'll take you 8-12 hours depending on how aggressive you want to ride... or even less if you want to knock off some of the passes.

http://coloradodave.net/CO-UT%20Ride/DenverRides/100,000_foot_ride.htm

Always have cold weather gear packed... you never know when it'll start to snow/rain in the upper elevations.  I've been chased down Mt. Evans by hail...  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline koval68

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 12:16:44 PM »
We're off to a good start here! ;)  Sherob & Rhino, thank you for your replies, if there is anything you can add, it would be really appreciated! As far as the roads go, I've been compiling a list for a couple of years now and have a set of Butler Maps on hand. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate any additional road suggestions, but in this thread I am looking for inside info on riding in high elevations and "Colorado that only locals know about"! Here are some questions for you guys:
-is it a good idea to carry extra fuel, what time do the gas stations stay open till in smaller towns?
-out of 14 days set aside for this trip, only 10 will be full riding days(it will take us a day and a half to 
 get there and same to go back)  :yikes:. Is 10 days enough time to do both States (to see their true
 beauty) or should I spend the entire 10 days in Colorado and go back to Utah next year?
-how much time do I need to reserve for Pikes Peak(plan is to be there early am on the first riding
 day of our trip)?
-four corners: is there some kind of sign or a post with the names of all four states, so we can take a   nice group shot?

Rhino, great suggestion about Steamboat Springs, will definitely spend a night there. I will keep you posted on our arrival in Colorado Springs, would love to hook up for a dinner and some beers with you. You're going to love my friends.....these guys are a riot! ;)
I will have more questions soon, please stay tuned...

"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 05:04:18 PM »

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 08:58:33 PM »
Unless you are riding a Sportster with a peanut tank, gas should not be a big problem. I have been riding this area for over 40 years and never carry gas. (I don't ride any overnighters anymore so their might be some places you need to chill until a station opens in the morning.) Some friends did an iron butt this past summer. It was close to 22 hours of riding and they did not have any gas issues.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 09:37:21 PM »
Waste of time. The roads are all straight and flat, and the deer/elk/mountain sheep you see on the side of the roads are all cardboard cutouts set out in the spring to lure the Tourons (and their money) to Colorado.

Worst case, I can find space for a trailer ( :pukeface: ), and may be able to offer a shower. You'd have to pitch your tent(s) in a rock pile tough.

I'm 15 S of Estes Park, and can whip up some mean sourdough pancakes if prodded with quality gin the night before.

But it's flat here. Real flat.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline koval68

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 08:08:33 AM »
Unless you are riding a Sportster with a peanut tank, gas should not be a big problem.
I didn't think it would be, but had to check. Thx for the info!
Waste of time. The roads are all straight and flat, and the deer/elk/mountain sheep you see on the side of the roads are all cardboard cutouts set out in the spring to lure the Tourons (and their money) to Colorado.

Worst case, I can find space for a trailer ( :pukeface: ), and may be able to offer a shower. You'd have to pitch your tent(s) in a rock pile tough.

I'm 15 S of Estes Park, and can whip up some mean sourdough pancakes if prodded with quality gin the night before.

But it's flat here. Real flat.

Rick

Perfect!!! Flat and boring is what we're used to in Ontario! :thumbs:
But, that #34 Trail Ridge Road by you looks sweeeet!  I can't find 15 south near Estes Park if my life depended on it......was it your fat finger by any chance?
There will be no camping on this trip for us, but if you can recommend clean motel somewhere near you, I just might smuggle couple bottles of good quality gin across the border. Question is.....can an American handle a premium Canadian Gin??? We keep hearing that you guys like your booze watered down a bit... 8)
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 08:43:21 AM »
US-34 through the park is nice, but the speed limit is insanely low. For a motorcycle in 'twisty' mode anyway. It IS a park, and heavily used in the summer. It's probably one of the only roads in CO that has curves, many people stopping to take pix.

15 S is airplane talk, sorry. Add "miles" in there someplace. Click my profile, or use the forum member map, to find my location.

Lyons does have a mom and pop motel. I've never stayed there (duh), but I've heard it's nice. Longmont has a pile of chain motels at decent prices. Estes Park (the town) has a few but bring extra $ if staying in Estes, it's a tourist town.

KY is the only state that likes to water down their booze, and I understand it was only for a few days ;)

It'll be cold at altitude in late May/early June. Expect freezing temps overnight above 2300m. Daytime can get to 20.

Eh.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline koval68

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 08:54:04 AM »
Good info, thx Rick! I'll look you up as we get closer to our departure.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 09:47:34 AM »
We're off to a good start here! ;)  Sherob & Rhino, thank you for your replies, if there is anything you can add, it would be really appreciated! As far as the roads go, I've been compiling a list for a couple of years now and have a set of Butler Maps on hand. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate any additional road suggestions, but in this thread I am looking for inside info on riding in high elevations and "Colorado that only locals know about"! Here are some questions for you guys:
-is it a good idea to carry extra fuel, what time do the gas stations stay open till in smaller towns?
-out of 14 days set aside for this trip, only 10 will be full riding days(it will take us a day and a half to 
 get there and same to go back)  :yikes:. Is 10 days enough time to do both States (to see their true
 beauty) or should I spend the entire 10 days in Colorado and go back to Utah next year?
-how much time do I need to reserve for Pikes Peak(plan is to be there early am on the first riding
 day of our trip)?
-four corners: is there some kind of sign or a post with the names of all four states, so we can take a   nice group shot?

Rhino, great suggestion about Steamboat Springs, will definitely spend a night there. I will keep you posted on our arrival in Colorado Springs, would love to hook up for a dinner and some beers with you. You're going to love my friends.....these guys are a riot! ;)
I will have more questions soon, please stay tuned...

I've ridden all over Colorado on a Valkyrie that has about 135 mile range (almost half what a connie has) and never had a problem with finding fuel. Most small towns have gas available into the evening if not 24/7.

10 days is good for both states. Cannot see everything or every great road but can see a lot.

Pikes Peak will take the morning depending on how much time at the top. Maybe less. I honestly haven't been up there since it was paved.

Four corners has a concrete dais with brass inlays for all four states just for the purpose of photo ops.

Dress in layers because can be in the 30's going over a pass in the morning and 120 going into Monument Valley or Moab. I've ridden over Independence pass in July and encountered snow flurries.

Holiday weekends such as 4th of July can make it hard to find a place to stay but most of the time you can play it by ear. I ride with 3 brothers and my son and we like to not over plan. You find some road or some area that you want to spend more time at and its nice not to have pressure of having to get to X because of some reservation.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 09:52:23 AM »
If I'm here I would love to hook up for dinner and have a beer. My daughter's mother in law has a 5 acre place that her X used as a landscape and snow plowing business. Parked many a truck and trailer there. I will ask her if you can leave your trucks and trailers there. We have property in NM and looking at moving a mobile home this summer. Lots of infrastructure to go in. As such I may not be here. When are you planning to get here?

Offline koval68

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 11:07:27 AM »
If I'm here I would love to hook up for dinner and have a beer.I will ask her if you can leave your trucks and trailers there. When are you planning to get here?
That would be awesome, is she near Colorado Springs?
We should be arriving there on May 27th early afternoon. I will be in Ottawa on May 23-25 for my daughter's Canadian Gymnastics Championships, where she is expected to place on the podium, but if she doesn't, I'll be leaving earlier and arriving earlier in Colorado, possibly in the morning on 27th.
I ride with 3 brothers and my son and we like to not over plan. You find some road or some area that you want to spend more time at and its nice not to have pressure of having to get to X because of some reservation.
All of our previous "Great Escapes from our wives Canada" have been planned to every small detail! No more, this will be our first trip where we won't have to worry about arriving at the specific destination for the night. No schedule.....no pressure! Now, we will be able to stop as often as we like, be off the road before dusk and have time to relax over a cold beer or two! :chugbeer:
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 02:44:19 PM »
That would be awesome, is she near Colorado Springs?
We should be arriving there on May 27th early afternoon. I will be in Ottawa on May 23-25 for my daughter's Canadian Gymnastics Championships, where she is expected to place on the podium, but if she doesn't, I'll be leaving earlier and arriving earlier in Colorado, possibly in the morning on 27th.All of our previous "Great Escapes from our wives Canada" have been planned to every small detail! No more, this will be our first trip where we won't have to worry about arriving at the specific destination for the night. No schedule.....no pressure! Now, we will be able to stop as often as we like, be off the road before dusk and have time to relax over a cold beer or two! :chugbeer:

Her place is about 1/2 mile from mine and about 10 min north of Colorado Springs. I just talked to her son and they are fine with you parking your rigs there. Will PM you with details. There are some tractors and other trucks parked there already with plenty of room for your trucks and trailers.

May 27 I should be here assuming no business trips. I look forward to meeting you.

"Now, we will be able to stop as often as we like, be off the road before dusk and have time to relax over a cold beer or two! :chugbeer:"
+1  :thumbs: That's my idea of a MC ride!

Offline koval68

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 09:14:51 PM »
I got your pm, thank you so much!  :hail: :chugbeer:
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 10:52:57 PM »
Here is the CO 100,000ft Ride Map... 450-550 miles w/ 10 10,000ft passes.  I've done this ride several times... and it never gets old... they mix up the passes and routes every year.  It'll take you 8-12 hours depending on how aggressive you want to ride... or even less if you want to knock off some of the passes.

http://coloradodave.net/CO-UT%20Ride/DenverRides/100,000_foot_ride.htm

Always have cold weather gear packed... you never know when it'll start to snow/rain in the upper elevations.  I've been chased down Mt. Evans by hail...  8)

Holy kaw!  That map is just the top half of the state!
'02 C-10

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 08:44:58 AM »
Holy kaw!  That map is just the top half of the state!

Yup, that would be a pretty hard core ride for one day. I know it just half an iron butt but lots of twisty's and if you did it in one day you would miss most of the scenery.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 09:09:18 AM »
Yup, that would be a pretty hard core ride for one day. I know it just half an iron butt but lots of twisty's and if you did it in one day you would miss most of the scenery.

If you go back after the formal ride, then you get to see the scenery take your time, and no crowds... the formal ride is a lot of fun... real nice technical rides!
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 09:24:22 AM »
Here is some additional Utah info. Beware of the impending doom of monsoon storms surrounding you.  You'll find yourself in the middle of nowhere with no cover, no people, no nothing. 

Good news:  After being wind blasted, the sound of mortars ringing your ears (lightning hitting near you in the open) and riding through rains too heavy to see through, KIPass will prevail!

Then it gets so beautiful and the wet knocks the dust off the dirt roads for the thrill of ADV riding the snot out of the Connie  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline koval68

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 01:55:31 PM »
We have already ridden through a monsoon-like downpour on Blue Ridge Parkway.....it was quite the experiance to say the least..... :loco:
Severe weather is unpredictable and we will be taking appropriate precautions..... :hail: :hail: :hail:
- Mahatma Gandhi